2007: Object reference not set to an instance of an object
Thread poster: André Noordermeer
André Noordermeer  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Local time: 10:59
Jul 11, 2011

Hi all,
I just purchased SDL Trados 2009 FL because a customer switched to Trados.
I was told to use 2007, rather than 2009. 2007 is included in the package, so no problem right?
I installed 2007 FL first and the MultiTerm 2009 afterwards on my system.
Recent Quad CPU / 8GB RAM / Windows 7 Pro x64 / Office 2003 Pro / IE9.

There were a number of issues right from the start.
+ Errors with the Java Engine
+ Errors with function "Manage Filter Settings" - A file was "missing", except it was really there.
+ The links to TermBase under Terminology resulted in the msg as shown in the topic header.

By following tips in this forum I was able to resolve the first two issues.
The last one remains effectively disconnection the TermBase dinctionary from all other functions.
TermBase itself runs fine and I created a small dictionary by entering some terms manually.

I played around and must have re-installed in various orders and ways (and also on my old semi-retired XP machine) with no results. With or without user account control disabled.
The end result is always the same.

I did my first job on this system and verified most of it works (used tag editor), just could not access the TermBase which is a drag.

Any help and/or feedback is greatly appreciated.

Cheers,
André

For the technically inclined I pasted a report from Trados which I could save from the error msg.
All 3 links essentially return identical logs, except for the initiating function which is mentioned on the second line of the stack dump. (Here "createNewTermbaseItem")
The LT and GT chars were replaced w. {} or would not show here.

{SDLTradosSynergy time="11-7-2011 21:06:31"}
{ErrorMessage}Object reference not set to an instance of an object.{/ErrorMessage}
{Exception}
{Message}Object reference not set to an instance of an object.{/Message}
{Type}System.NullReferenceException, mscorlib, Version=2.0.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=b77a5c561934e089{/Type}
{Source}Sdl.Desktop.Studio.Main{/Source}
{StackTrace}{![CDATA[ at Sdl.Desktop.Studio.Main.StartLinksView.GetMultiTermDir()
at Sdl.Desktop.Studio.Main.StartLinksView._createNewTermbaseItem_Action(Object sender, EventArgs e)
at Sdl.Desktop.Studio.Main.StartPageItemControl._titleLinkLabel_LinkClicked(Object sender, LinkLabelLinkClickedEventArgs e)
at System.Windows.Forms.LinkLabel.OnLinkClicked(LinkLabelLinkClickedEventArgs e)
at System.Windows.Forms.LinkLabel.OnMouseUp(MouseEventArgs e)
at System.Windows.Forms.Control.WmMouseUp(Message& m, MouseButtons button, Int32 clicks)
at System.Windows.Forms.Control.WndProc(Message& m)
at System.Windows.Forms.Label.WndProc(Message& m)
at System.Windows.Forms.LinkLabel.WndProc(Message& msg)
at System.Windows.Forms.Control.ControlNativeWindow.OnMessage(Message& m)
at System.Windows.Forms.Control.ControlNativeWindow.WndProc(Message& m)
at System.Windows.Forms.NativeWindow.Callback(IntPtr hWnd, Int32 msg, IntPtr wparam, IntPtr lparam)]]}{/StackTrace}
{/Exception}
{ErrorContext}
{CurrentServer}
{LocalDataFolder}C:\Users\multigeo\Documents\SDL Trados\Projects{/LocalDataFolder}
{/CurrentServer}
{/ErrorContext}
{Environment}
{SDLTradosSynergyVersion}8.3.161.0{/SDLTradosSynergyVersion}
{OperatingSystem}Microsoft Windows 7 Professional {/OperatingSystem}
{ServicePack}Service Pack 1{/ServicePack}
{OperatingSystemLanguage}1043{/OperatingSystemLanguage}
{CodePage}1252{/CodePage}
{LoggedOnUser}MG-DW7\multigeo{/LoggedOnUser}
{DotNetFrameWork}2.0.50727.5446{/DotNetFrameWork}
{ComputerName}MG-DW7{/ComputerName}
{ConnectedToNetwork}True{/ConnectedToNetwork}
{PhysicalMemory}8379448 MB{/PhysicalMemory}
{/Environment}
{/SDLTradosSynergy}

[Edited at 2011-07-11 21:48 GMT]

Direct link Reply with quote

Sindy Cremer

Member (2008)
English to Dutch
+ ...
better late than never Oct 15, 2011

You will probably have solved the problem in the meantime (or so I hope), but for future reference I add the link to the page where the answer can be found:

http://www.proz.com/forum/sdl_trados_support/139544-studio_2009_object_reference_not_set_to_an_instance_of_an_object_error.html

André Noordermeer  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Local time: 10:59
TOPIC STARTER
Issue still unsolved as yet Oct 16, 2011

Sorry Cindy,
Your link points to Trados 2009 rater than 2007 and does not work for me.
The issue is still open.
Whenever given a choice I do my work in Transit or Alchemist, which simply work without any headaches.
These people gave me support whenever I needed; fast, concise and no questions asked. They also come up with answers that work. Compared to them Trados is a night mare.

Since the underlying problem is essentially an installation fault I contacted Microsoft on this.
(Trados is built using MS dot.net platform) and they gave me some pointers to go about tracing which DLL/object is not registered (properly) and fix this manually.
Currently I'm swamped with long running projects that don't require Trados, so I've pushed this forward until I have more time.

Thanks very much for your help anyway. It's appreciated.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

2007: Object reference not set to an instance of an object

Advanced search

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search