Thread poster: Fabienne Gualino

Fabienne Gualino  Identity Verified
France
Local time: 14:51
Spanish to French
+ ...
Jul 12, 2011

Hello everybody:

I am trying to find the way to instruct Trados to split automatically the segments every time there is a softbreak in the original excel document. I know there is a way to do it but I really can't find it.

Does anyone know how to do it?

Many thanks,

Fabienne

Direct link Reply with quote

Erik Freitag  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2006)
Dutch to German
+ ...
segmentation rules Jul 12, 2011

Dear Fabienne,

you need to add a segmentation rule in the translation memory settings (you can find them under "language resources" in the TM settings).

However, this is far more complicated than one would expect. Surprisingly, Studio doesn't offer an option to segment after soft returns, you need some wizardry to do that. There's a KB article that gives some instructions (look for KB article #3632).

After completing the steps described there, you need to close your project and the program itself a couple of times (just restarting Studio once isn't enough) before it actually works, but in the end, it does. At least, that's what I've found out after wondering why the procedure described in the KB article didn't work.

Success,
Erik

Fabienne Gualino  Identity Verified
France
Spanish to French
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
segmentation rules Jul 13, 2011

Hello Erik,

Thank you for your reply. I am afraid I won't have time enough to look at your solutions for my current project but I will definitely look at them later on. Where can I read the KB article #3632.

Thank you,

Fabienne

SDL Community  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
English
SDL Knowledgebase Jul 14, 2011

Hi Fabienne,

You will find article 3632 in the SDL Knowledgebase here:

http://kb.sdl.com

Typing the article number into the search will get there straightaway. Alternatively the syntax for a direct link is this where XXXX should be replace by the article number:

http://kb.sdl.com/article.aspx?article=XXXX&p=1

So in this case:

http://kb.sdl.com/article.aspx?article=3632&p=1

Regards

Paul

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

splitting automatically some segments Trados 2009

Advanced search

BaccS – Business Accounting Software
Modern desktop project management for freelance translators

BaccS makes it easy for translators to manage their projects, schedule tasks, create invoices, and view highly customizable reports. User-friendly, ProZ.com integration, community-driven development – a few reasons BaccS is trusted by translators!

More info »
Déjà Vu X3
Try it, Love it

Find out why Déjà Vu is today the most flexible, customizable and user-friendly tool on the market. See the brand new features in action: *Completely redesigned user interface *Live Preview *Inline spell checking *Inline

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search