Trados Studio 2009 autosuggest dictionaries
Thread poster: Richard Hill

Richard Hill  Identity Verified
Mexico
Local time: 23:21
Member (2011)
Spanish to English
Jul 13, 2011

Hi. I am new to trados and trying to test the autosuggest dictionary function. I downloaded the European Union AutoSuggest dictionary (English US - Spanish), and can't open it because the "source culture is different from the language pair". I read that it's possible to create one's own dictionary but no explanation was give as to how to do so. I also downloaded the EU DGT TM and managed to change the language codes in the tmx file to fit my language pair (ES-MX EN-US) and was wondering if I can do something similar with the bpm file? Or would somebody be so kind as to post the instructions as to how to create an autosuggest dictionary from the tmx file itself or from an SDLTM file?

Direct link Reply with quote

Umang Dholabhai  Identity Verified
India
Local time: 09:51
English to Gujarati
+ ...
Generate Autosuggest Jul 13, 2011

Once you have the sdltm it is easy to do it

Tools>Generate Autosuggest dictionary>(wizard opens)select the sdltm file from it's location>click Next>Select the appropriate language pair>Click Next>Click Finish

NB: Minimum 25000 TU's are required for generating the dictionary.

[Edited at 2011-07-13 08:10 GMT]

Mexico
Member (2011)
Spanish to English
TOPIC STARTER
thanks Umang Jul 13, 2011

I appreciate your response. I managed to do as you said and to change the language codes.
regards
rich

Stefano Nicola D'Amato  Identity Verified
Spanish to English
+ ...
How did you change .bpm to .sdltm? Jul 13, 2011

Hola Rich,

I saw your post which prompted me to download the AutoSuggest dictionary (EN-ES).

Can you tell me how you converted it from the .bpm to .sdltm?

All of this is very new to me as well.

Saludos,

Stefano

Mexico
Member (2011)
Spanish to English
TOPIC STARTER
Sure Jul 14, 2011

Stefano D'Amato wrote:

Hola Rich,

I saw your post which prompted me to download the AutoSuggest dictionary (EN-ES).

Can you tell me how you converted it from the .bpm to .sdltm?

All of this is very new to me as well.

Saludos,

Stefano

Hi Stefano

You are luck they have the bpm file in your language pair (EN-ES is your language pair isn’t it?). I couldn't do it because the bpm file was not I'm my language pair, so I had to "Generate a Dictionary from an existing TM (must by over 25,000 segments to do so; it was the free EU DGT TM from http://langtech.jrc.it/DGT-TM.html#DGT-TM so I had to convert the language codes in the tmx file (easy enough using find and replace ) then upgrade the tmx file to change it to a sdltm file in Trados, and from there “Generate” the bpm Autosuggest Dictionary (Here’s a youtube video of the last part of the process in case you ever need to do that http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8x7U3nY4lls.) A bit long-winded but it worked.

Anyway, loading your bpm file is pretty straight-forward.
Open trados (no need to open a project) – Click Tools on upper menu bar – Options – AutoSuggest in left of new window – make sure Enable AutoSuggest box is ticked - OK.
Then
Home – Open Document – load your document – OK (after setting the language pair to same pair as bpm file) – Project (or directly in) Project Settings – select your Language Pair in left of window – select AutoSuggest Dictionaries – click Add – browse to your bpm file – OK (your done)

Cheers and good luck!

Rich

Spanish to English
+ ...
ES-EN not EN-ES Jul 14, 2011

Hey there, Rich.

Thanks for your reply.
My language pair is Spanish to English, not English to Spanish.

I downloaded the AutoSuggest dictionary (EN-ES) but I got the same error that you got:

source culture is different from the language pair

So, I'm not sure what steps I have to take at this point.

Also, I own the Trados Freelance version (not the Professional) so I was under the impression that you could not generate AutoSuggest dictionaries with the Freelance version. Maybe I'm wrong.

This all seems so complicated!

If you have any suggestions, let me know.

Thanks again for your time.

Mexico
Member (2011)
Spanish to English
TOPIC STARTER
yes it seems you need the pro version but... Jul 14, 2011

there's some info on using Autosuggest from a Multiterm Termbase or a custom auto-text dictionary. I have no idea how to do so, but:

http://www.proz.com/forum/sdl_trados_support/133409-should_sdl_autosuggest_function_be_included_in_the_freelance_edition_too-page4.html

"2. Users of the Professional version can create AutoSuggest dictionaries and send them in project packages for Freelance users to use. The Freelance version will not have the functionality to create dictionaries from translation memories. However, the freelance version will still use the Autosuggest feature to suggest terms from a Multiterm Termbase or a custom auto-text dictionary."

It's not actually that impressive considering there's around half a million terms in the generated AutoSuggest Dictionary.

Anyway, after my original skepticism about CAT tools, i'm finally coming around to the Idea they might be of use, even if there is a steep learning curve.

I guess you've been watching instructional videos, anyway here's a one-hour webinar I found useful:

http://www.sdl.com/en/language-technology/resources/Recorded_webinars/default.asp

Cheers Stefano

rich

SDL Community  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 05:21
English
Just some clarification Jul 14, 2011

Hi Rich and Stefano,

I thought it might be helpful just to clarify a couple of things based on your posts.

1. AutoSuggest is a feature that pulls information from an AutoSuggest Dictionary, a MultiTerm Termbase and AutoText lists. The information is presented in a small window as you type allowing you to easily select the results you want to use as you type.
  2. AutoSuggest can use any one of these three sources on its own, or all three, or any combination of them.
  3. AutoSuggest Dictionaries are created from a Translation Memory that must contain at least 25,000 Translation Units.
  4. The file created when you generate an AutoSuggest Dictionary has the extension *.BPM
  5. You cannot convert a BPM to anything else so if you need different language pairs you must generate a new *.BPM using a Translation Memory with the language pairs you need and in the right direction (So for ES-EN you would need a TM in the same direction)
  6. Freelance users with an AutoSuggest Creator license can create their own AutoSuggest Dictionaries, so it is not limited to the Professional version
  7. Freelance users without AutoSuggest Creator can still make use of an AutoSuggest Dictionary that was provided by a Client, or another translator
I hope this helps?

Regards

Paul

Spanish to English
+ ...
Thanks! Jul 14, 2011

Thank you, Rich and Paul, for taking the time to read and reply.

Regards.

Mexico
Member (2011)
Spanish to English
TOPIC STARTER
Doing the rounds in my posts to thank people for their help Jul 17, 2011

Thanks to everyone for responding.

You have helped to kill off my already flagging skepticism with respect to CAT tools, posting some helpful advice, and I now pretty much reckon that learning CAT tools is worthwhile.

Thanks to those who had patience for the newbie. I realize that I haven't been following the learning curve in the most efficient way. i.e. I've been learning how to change language codes in TM's, set up Autosuggest dictionaries and converting file formats for shared use amongst different CAT tools before learning the most basic stuff like how autosuggest works with a TM. But anyway, now I've sorted out some of the more baffling tasks, it's back to the beginning of the learning curve for me. Watching a few more videos, opening un SDL studio, and becoming familiar with the basic functions.

Thanks again everyone!

rich

Sean Wingert  Identity Verified
Local time: 20:21
French to English
+ ...
The translation memory could not be read Jan 11, 2012

When I follow the instructions from http://langtech.jrc.it/DGT-TM.html, then the instructions from SDL Trados Studio 2011 SP's FreelancePlus Help Guide on TMX files (http://producthelp.sdl.com/SDL%20Trados%20Studio/client_en/Setting_Preferences/AutoSuggest/Add_Phrase_Mapping_Bilingual_File.htm), I click Generate, then select the TMX output file and get this error, "The translation memory could not be read." Any thoughts?

[Edited at 2012-01-11 23:52 GMT]

[Edited at 2012-01-11 23:53 GMT]

[Edited at 2012-01-11 23:54 GMT]

United Kingdom
English
Maybe try... Jan 12, 2012

... importing the TMX into a Studio TM first. Then create your AutoSuggest Dictionary from the Studio TM. I don't know what the problem is exactly because I have no idea what you've got in front of you after following all the instructions.

Regards

Paul

Sean Wingert  Identity Verified
Local time: 20:21
French to English
+ ...
Importing Jan 17, 2012

Thanks Paul. That worked perfectly.

RockSolid Trans  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 01:21
Spanish to English
+ ...
where can we download some .bpm files from? Mar 27, 2013

where can we download some .bpm files from?

thanks

United Kingdom
English
You'll find some here... Mar 27, 2013

http://www.translationzone.com/en/openexchange/

http://www.translationzone.com/en/resources/downloads/autosuggest-dictionaries/default.asp

And if you have the license for creating them you can make you own pretty easily for the European languages anyway : http://wp.me/p2xDjK-64

Regards

Paul

Pages in topic:   [1 2] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Trados Studio 2009 autosuggest dictionaries

Advanced search

Déjà Vu X3
Try it, Love it

Find out why Déjà Vu is today the most flexible, customizable and user-friendly tool on the market. See the brand new features in action: *Completely redesigned user interface *Live Preview *Inline spell checking *Inline

More info »
PerfectIt consistency checker
Faster Checking, Greater Accuracy

PerfectIt helps deliver error-free documents. It improves consistency, ensures quality and helps to enforce style guides. It’s a powerful tool for pro users, and comes with the assurance of a 30-day money back guarantee.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search