How to import customer's tag setting file (.ini) in 2009..
Thread poster: Birthe Omark

Birthe Omark  Identity Verified
Denmark
Local time: 19:14
Member (2006)
French to Danish
+ ...
Jul 13, 2011

I receive a number of pretranslated TagEditor files plus the corresponding tag setting file .ini. Normally I translate in 2007, but would like to use the facilities in 2009 .. as has also been discussed in a recent thread...
How exactly do I add the customer's .ini file so that the customer will recive the bilingual file with the correct tags etc.?

Kind regards,
Birthe

SDL Community  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
English
You don't need it..! Jul 13, 2011

Hi Birthe,

If you have the TTX already then you do not need the ini to tranlsate this in Studio. It is enough to open the TTX in Studio and translate. You only need to ini if you want to create the TTX in the first place, or if you wish to create the XML target file from the TTX.

One word of warning however. It is probably worth removing the smart tag pairing feature in Studio for XML files that become TTX as this may cause Studio to turn some 2007 placeholders into 2009 tag pairs and cause a problem for your customer.

You can find more information on this here:

http://translationzone.com/en/landing/premium-downloads/how-to-work-with-the-translation-supply-chain-with-sdl-trados-studio-2009.asp

Regards

Paul

Denmark
Member (2006)
French to Danish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thought I didn't need the tag setting files... Jul 13, 2011

.. however, I got warning message when opening the TE-files in Studio, mentioning that the tag setting file 'xxx' could not be found!

Also, when I tried on an earlier occasion, there were myriads of tags !! or at least it seemed so. .. so I went back to 'good old TagEditor'.

Thank you Paul.

Best regards
Birthe

Jerzy Czopik  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2003)
Polish to German
+ ...
Studio will show the same amount or less tags than TagEditor Jul 13, 2011

There will however be NO additional tags in Studio, when you open a TTX file there.
"Myriads of tags" are most certainly to be found in PDF-converted Word files,
These are there because of the way such text is formatted by the PDF converter.
Rudimentary knowledge about how formatting and styles work in Word and then what are tags and what they do would be of a really big help in any case.

Selcuk Akyuz  Identity Verified
Turkey
Local time: 20:14
Member (2006)
English to Turkish
+ ...
ini file for Word document? Jul 13, 2011

Jerzy Czopik wrote:

There will however be NO additional tags in Studio, when you open a TTX file there.
"Myriads of tags" are most certainly to be found in PDF-converted Word files,
These are there because of the way such text is formatted by the PDF converter.
Rudimentary knowledge about how formatting and styles work in Word and then what are tags and what they do would be of a really big help in any case.

Jerzy,

I don't think it is a Word document, why should one send an ini file for a Word document? Well maybe a Word expert who created a complex file with macros. But for a Word document converted from pdf!?

United Kingdom
English
Smart Tag Pairing Jul 14, 2011

Jerzy Czopik wrote:

Hi Jerzy,

This is usually true, but it you are using smart tag pairing (which is the default setting) then an XML file converted to TTX can have additional tags added in Studio and these will also appear back in the XML if the TTX converts successfully.

To be safe all of the time I think I would always disable smart tag pairing when working with TTX files created from XML files.

I believe this to be the culprit in this thread:

http://www.proz.com/forum/sdl_trados_support/203069-studio_2009_has_added_tags_to_xml_files.html

Certainly when I tested the files it was clear that some placeables in the TTX were converted to tag pairs because the wysiwyg approach in the editor needs proper tags where the TTX and 2007 does not because it doesn't have one. Disabling smart tag pairing prevents this problem.

Regards

Paul

United Kingdom
English
Only a warning Jul 14, 2011

Birthe Omark wrote:

.. however, I got warning message when opening the TE-files in Studio, mentioning that the tag setting file 'xxx' could not be found!

Also, when I tried on an earlier occasion, there were myriads of tags !! or at least it seemed so. .. so I went back to 'good old TagEditor'.

Thank you Paul.

Best regards
Birthe

Hi Birthe,

This is only a warning and will not prevent you from translating the file successfully. The warning is telling you that you will only be able to save the target as a TTX because you don't have the ini. If you have the ini too then Studio will be able to save the target as the TTX or the XML.

Myriads of tags... quite possibly and at least one reason why XML files are much better translated in Studio as XML and not TTX.

Regards

Paul

Denmark
Member (2006)
French to Danish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Translation in studio worked Jul 14, 2011

Hello Paul and Jerzy,

Thank you for your help.
I am now happily translating wihtin Studio with just the number of tags needed!!

I think Paul's explanation of the smart tag explains my 'myriads of tags'.. It is difficult to know the origin of a pretranslated TE-file.

And anyway, your answers have filled in some more gaps in my 'rudimentary' knowledge ...

best.
Birthe

Susanne Gansloser-Hartmann  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2009)
English to German
.ini for Tageditor and .xml file Nov 22, 2011

Hi all,

do I need the .ini file for translating the .xml file directliy in Studio or do I have to convert this file first in Tageditor with the importet .ini-file in Tageditor?

Thank you and best regards,

Susanne

Birthe Omark wrote:

Hello Paul and Jerzy,

Thank you for your help.
I am now happily translating wihtin Studio with just the number of tags needed!!

I think Paul's explanation of the smart tag explains my 'myriads of tags'.. It is difficult to know the origin of a pretranslated TE-file.

And anyway, your answers have filled in some more gaps in my 'rudimentary' knowledge ...

best.
Birthe

Stanislav Pokorny  Identity Verified
Czech Republic
English to Czech
+ ...
XML > TTX > Studio Nov 22, 2011

Hi Susanne,
if you already have an INI file, I suggest that you convert your XML files to TTX first and translate the TTX files in Studio. No need to spend valuable time on creating a correspoinding filetype in Studio.

jimshanks
Local time: 18:14
Dutch to English
Does this apply to Studio 2011 too? Nov 22, 2011

SDL Support wrote:

Hi Birthe,

If you have the TTX already then you do not need the ini to tranlsate this in Studio. It is enough to open the TTX in Studio and translate. You only need to ini if you want to create the TTX in the first place, or if you wish to create the XML target file from the TTX.

One word of warning however. It is probably worth removing the smart tag pairing feature in Studio for XML files that become TTX as this may cause Studio to turn some 2007 placeholders into 2009 tag pairs and cause a problem for your customer.

You can find more information on this here:

http://translationzone.com/en/landing/premium-downloads/how-to-work-with-the-translation-supply-chain-with-sdl-trados-studio-2009.asp

Regards

Paul

Hi Paul,
are these instructions applicable without change to Studio 2011 too?
Thanks
Jim

Susanne Gansloser-Hartmann  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2009)
English to German
Disabling smart tag pairing Nov 23, 2011

Hi all,

where can I find this function in the German version?

(I have converted the xml to ttx with the .ini file I got from the customer and am processing these files in Studio - seems to work (thanks Stanislav), but I want be on the safe side).

Thanks and best regards,

Susanne

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

How to import customer's tag setting file (.ini) in 2009..

Advanced search

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use SDL Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

More info »
WordFinder Unlimited
For clarity and excellence

WordFinder is the leading dictionary service that gives you the words you want anywhere, anytime. Access 260+ dictionaries from the world's leading dictionary publishers in virtually any device. Find the right word anywhere, anytime - online or offline.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search