Trados Studio: error "The opening tag "pageitem" does not match the closing tag."
Thread poster: MAG
MAG
Spain
Local time: 00:42
English to Spanish
+ ...
Jul 14, 2011

Hi everyone,

When trying to save the translated file using File > Save target as, I keep getting the following error message:

Error al guardar el contenido de destino: La etiqueta de apertura "pageitem" en la línea 1 no coincide con la etiqueta de cierre de "P". Línea 5, posición 82.

[Failed to save the contents of the target file: The opening tag "pageitem" in line 1 does not match the closing tag of "P". Line 5, position 82.]

Any idea how to work it out?

Thanks!
Marga

Direct link Reply with quote

Jakob Maier  Identity Verified
Local time: 00:42
English to German
Same Problem Sep 2, 2011

I actually have the same problem.
Any ideas anybody?

Liz Rundle  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 23:42
Member (2010)
French to English
Trados 2009 & 2007: Saving TTX files to Word - Errors Sep 7, 2011

Hi,

I have been experiencing a similar problem.

With certain TTX files, I have been unable to save the target as a Word file:

Error message: ‘Error while converting to Word Document: end tag does not match start tag’ and with another file ‘Failed to save target content: Error while writing breaks’

I have tried in both Trados 2007 and 2009 and also using both Word 2003 and 2007, and with all combinations I receive the same message.

I’ve only been using Trados for a couple of months, so I’m not completely up to speed yet, so if anybody has any ideas or solutions that would be great.

Thanks,

Liz

xxxjapoole
Local time: 23:42
Hope This Helps Sep 7, 2011

This is a fairly common issue when dealing with files that would go through the Trados filters. I don't have any example data to hand to cite proper examples, but will to try to explain the issues as best I can for you.

For the purpose of most of the 'Filtered' file formats supported by Trados, the source file is converted, or already exists as an Xml file format, this means that the source document will be structured in a pattern similar to the below:

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="windows-1252">
<file>
<paragraph>
<text>
This would be some translatable text
</text>
</paragraph>>
</file>

In this (admittedly, simplistic) example, Trados' filters would produce a TTX document using a simplified content structure along the lines of:

<Tag DisplayText="text att="fpt"">
</text>

This simplified tag structure is done in order to limit the segmentation impact that small formatting will have on the flow of translatable text, and usually, this will work without issue.

That said, the error you are seeing indicates that the target documents data structure has been affected, either by something not accounted for with the filters themselves, or by something being changed during the translation process (where the tag is internal/red in the editor, giving a final file data structure like the one below:

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="windows-1252">
<file>
<paragraph>
<text>
</p>
</text>
</paragraph>
</file>

This makes the output file that Trados is trying to construct invalid, and prevents the filters from being able to construct the Target file. When you are dealing with Word or Inx files, this becomes extremely hard to troubleshoot on account of the sheer volume of internal/external tags present in the document

Solutions are not straight forward for this I'm afraid, happy to provide them if anyone's interested, but I'm afraid that running the processes would have to be at your own risk.

At any rate, hope the information above helps.

Kindest Regards
JAPoole

[Edited at 2011-09-07 13:15 GMT]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Trados Studio: error "The opening tag "pageitem" does not match the closing tag."

Advanced search

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

More info »
WordFinder
The words you want Anywhere, Anytime

WordFinder is the market's fastest and easiest way of finding the right word, term, translation or synonym in one or more dictionaries. In our assortment you can choose among more than 120 dictionaries in 15 languages from leading publishers.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search