Proper in-house workflow in SDL Trados Studio 2009 (any suggestions?)
Thread poster: Pablo Mayen

Pablo Mayen  Identity Verified
Mexico
Local time: 19:00
English to Spanish
+ ...
Jul 14, 2011

Dear community,

First of all, I apologize if my questions seem a little bit obvious for full-experienced Trados users.

I was assigned the (fortunate) role of in-house project manager of Trados projects. I consider I have more than a grasp of the software, which is very useful for the field I'm working in.

However, I feel there are some serious gaps (blanks, if you prefer) in my knowledge of the program regarding the workflow for the team of translators I work with. I'm not sure whether we would require to create projects since the TMs are all found in one server and just provide the translator with the source document and let him/her jump directly to "quick and dirty" mode or continue creating projects/packages (attach main TM, termbase, create a project TM...). We only have a single multiterm database and a main TM and some other small translations memories for different language pairs that are not used very often.

I mention the above because as far as I remember the main purpose of the program is to avoid retyping what is found in the TM right? Well, sometimes the match does come up and sometimes it just doesn't (I'm talking about large documents that have to be split between several translators). I learned yesterday though that unless you FINALIZE the project the main TM will not be updated. It seems obvious to me that finalizing a project and then return it would not make any sense at all, but what happens when I split a document and several identical segments are divided among the translators? In theory that who finishes first would update the memory and another translator who has the identical segment in his/her package would retrieve it from the TM right? Well, not quite.

To be sure, my team does not face these issues when they work in family documents (basically same text) BY THEMSELVES (i.e. work not shared with another colleague).

Am I missing a step? Is the server the weak link? I'm getting serious headaches because of this. Any suggestion or input in this regard is oh, sooooo greatly appreciated!

Regards

Pablo

Direct link Reply with quote

Atso Puronen
Local time: 03:00
English to Finnish
Some tips Jul 15, 2011

Hi Pablo,

Your setup is very similar to ours.

1. Shortcomings of T2009 Desktop Professional vs. TM Server
http://talisma.sdl.com/display/2/kb/article.aspx?aid=2550

Biggest is that only 100% matches are instantly shared among translators using a shared TM on a file server. Sharing fuzzy matches would ”slow the TM significantly” so they are only updated between translators local fuzzy match caches in 20 minute intervals!

2. Make sure these settings are correct:
Tools > Options > Language Pairs > All language pairs > Batch processing > Translation Memory Updates: select at least Translated, Translation approved an Signed Off

Tools > Options > Editor > Automation > After Confirming Segments Manually: select at least Update Translation Memory

3. Make sure you have selected a TM to update: Project > Project Settings > Language Pairs > All Language Pairs > Translation Memory and Automated translation: tick Update for relevant TMs.

3. T2009 always creates a project for you, even if you use Open Document command. There's no quick'n'dirty way to translate as there was in T2007. Just keep creating projects. When you want to share a project with a colleaque, ask them to open the .sdlproj file from your server. It adds the project to their Proejct view but all files still stay on your server.

4. Use ”Prepare without project TM” batch task instead of ”Prepare”, because this makes things much more complicated. T2009's understanding of a project TM is a temporary collection of "relevant" segments collected by the program itself. It can contain pretty much anything. If you need a separate TM just for that particular project, create one separately during project creation using Create command.

We have fought years against bying the TM Server. It would of course solve most of our collaboration problems but we are going against the grain and stubbornly using Desktop versions in a server-like environment. As I said, it has it shortcomings, but the TM should be updating and your translators should at least get 100% matches right away.

[Edited at 2011-07-15 12:51 GMT]

SDL Community  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 02:00
English
One other tip.. Jul 15, 2011

.. is to use "Export Frequent Segments" in All Language Pairs - Batch Processing - Analyze Files under Tools - Options. This will create an SDLXLIFF File of all the segments that are the same across all files in your Project so if you translate this first, update your TM, and then pretranslate and issue the work for offline use you might avoid some of the issues mentioned.

Regards

Paul

Mexico
English to Spanish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you both Jul 15, 2011

I sincerely appreciate your input in this regard.

We are a team of 6 translators, myself included. But I am the one preparing the projects for translation and sometimes I translate as well. So when a big document comes up, we split the same among up to 5 members. And according to Atso's link, upwards of 3 translators working on the same file-based TM will not certainly speed things up.

So Paul, the suggestion would be to ALWAYS export frequent segments as well, no matter there are not so many?

I guess I'll double check the settings of every PC in the department.

One more thing, Atso, if you may: Do you still create project packages or just copy the project itself and copy/save it in the dedicated T2009 server to allow the translators open therefrom?

Many thanks again in advance.

Pablo

Mexico
English to Spanish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
One more thing if possible Jul 15, 2011

What is the SDL TM Server 2009 price tag? Any idea? Just to know...:p

Atso Puronen
Local time: 03:00
English to Finnish
More info Jul 15, 2011

Hi Pablo,

We seem to have VERY similar office setups then! We have 6 in-house translators, one remote translator via VPN and me creating projects. I always create projects directly on the file server (not locally). After that you can just point your translators to the project folder where they can double-click on the .sdlproj file. NO packages needed! If you create packages, your translators will work on local TM copies (disconnected from each other).

Just make sure you translators don't accidentally translated same files! Also note that progress information may sometimes look inaccurate: Translator A and B start their own files simultaneously, file A and file B respectively. Translator A finishes first and to file A is marked as 100% translated. When translator B is ready and saves up her work, to her it may look like file A is 0% translated and file B is 100% translated. Progress-wise "last save stays in effect" but all translations are still there. Whenever you want to see the real progress, run Translation Count or Analyze Files batch task.

I think SDL TM Team would be perfect solution for you, Paul knows more about it!

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Proper in-house workflow in SDL Trados Studio 2009 (any suggestions?)

Advanced search

SDL MultiTerm 2017
Guarantee a unified, consistent and high-quality translation with terminology software by the industry leaders.

SDL MultiTerm 2017 allows translators to create one central location to store and manage multilingual terminology, and with SDL MultiTerm Extract 2017 you can automatically create term lists from your existing documentation to save time.

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search