TommyKaye
Croatia
Local time: 01:09
Croatian to English
+ ...
Jul 14, 2011

First time posting...

I'm in quite a panicky situation.

A client sent me an XML and wanted me to do the translation in Trados.
I only realized this after completing the translation in Excel.
Now I have to send the TMX (whatever that is).

I'm a first-time user and have no clue what to do.

Please help!

(Note to admins: I tried using the search function but got even more lost searching for help for my predicament).

Thanks to anyone who helps!

Direct link Reply with quote

Anthony Green  Identity Verified
Italy
Local time: 01:09
Italian to English
menu Jul 15, 2011

File - Export - OK
Then select a TMX (I would choose the latest one) from the Save as type drop down list box

This is if you want to export the whole Tm.

If you want to select just the latest project, File - Export and Choose the Created on date when you started the project, enter the value you need and then click Ok. Then select a TMX (I would choose the latest one) from the Save as type drop down list box

HTH

Marinus Vesseur  Identity Verified
Canada
Local time: 16:09
English to Dutch
+ ...
Importing bilingual Excel file into TM Jul 15, 2011

.. is what you want to do, I believe. It isn't that difficult with WinAlign, which is part of the SDL Trados package, but your client probably is an agency, so why not kindly ask them to do it for you this time?
Translating Excel files in Trados is not that smooth anyway, so that could be your excuse. Simply supply the Excel file with a friendly request to make their own TM. No big deal.

HTH

- Rien

Selcuk Akyuz  Identity Verified
Turkey
Local time: 03:09
Member (2006)
English to Turkish
+ ...
No easy solution here Jul 15, 2011

You can open XML files in Excel (not the best solution) but it seems that the client asked you to translate the file using Trados TagEditor. I really don't remember if TagEditor was included in Trados 7 or not. Trados 7 and Trados 2007 are different versions.

Perhaps aligning the original and translated files using WinAlign may work.

What is the format of the translated file, XML or XLS? Possibly XLS as you have opened and saved it in Excel.

Open the original file in Excel and save as XLS. Align the files and save into a TM (Translation Memory). Then translate the original file in TagEditor using that TM.

HTH

Selcuk

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Trados 7 export help!

Advanced search

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use SDL Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

More info »
Déjà Vu X3
Try it, Love it

Find out why Déjà Vu is today the most flexible, customizable and user-friendly tool on the market. See the brand new features in action: *Completely redesigned user interface *Live Preview *Inline spell checking *Inline

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search