Marina Steinbach
Marina Steinbach
United States
Local time: 15:06
Member (2011)
English to German
Jul 15, 2011

Hi!

I've attended the SDL Trados Studio 2009 webinar for beginners yesterday and wanted to try out my trial version today. Unfortunately, I was not able to find an AutoSuggest Dictionary for the language pair "German to English US" on the internet. I also could not find a Translation Memory for this language pair. Has anybody else experienced this problem and is able to help?

At the webinar the words seemed to magically be translated after just striking the first two o
... See more
Hi!

I've attended the SDL Trados Studio 2009 webinar for beginners yesterday and wanted to try out my trial version today. Unfortunately, I was not able to find an AutoSuggest Dictionary for the language pair "German to English US" on the internet. I also could not find a Translation Memory for this language pair. Has anybody else experienced this problem and is able to help?

At the webinar the words seemed to magically be translated after just striking the first two or three letters. I cannot determine any advantages so far sitting at my own computer at home.

Grammar does not seem to be important; I don't get any suggestions, there's no TM, no AutoSuggest, no open termbase – sigh…

Well, if I can't try translating from German to English US, I'll try to translate a text from English US to German, as I have already downloaded the BPM file for this language pair. But, this file is now in "Downloads". Where does it have to be?

Why should I purchase the full version or even pursue course 2 and 3 of SDL Trados Studio 2009? How much will I have to pay extra for TMs or AutoSuggest dictionaries?

[Edited at 2011-07-15 00:41 GMT]
Collapse

MikeTrans
MikeTrans
Germany
Local time: 21:06
Italian to German
+ ...
Try it here: Jul 15, 2011

http://www.translationzone.com/en/resources/downloads/autosuggest-dictionaries/

I don't know if they work in the Trial, however.

Mike

Marina Steinbach
Marina Steinbach
United States
Member (2011)
English to German
TOPIC STARTER
AutoSuggest Dictionary Jul 15, 2011

Yes, that's from where I downloaded the English US to German file. However, I am also looking for the other direction of the language pair, i.e. from German to English US. I have asked the support of SDL to change the direction of the languages and send me this, but I have not received an answer.

MikeTrans
MikeTrans
Germany
Italian to German
+ ...
Professional version only (I think) Jul 15, 2011

Hi Marina,

I know that with the Professional version you can build your own AS dictionaries, and your TM must have at least 25000 segments in size. The Freelance version doesn' allow you to create them, but only to read existing ones sent by clients or the ones you can download.

Mike

P.S.
I wouldn't wait too long for an answer from SDL with that kind of questions, it could be a looong night...
Also, this may change in the soon-comming Studio 2
... See more
Hi Marina,

I know that with the Professional version you can build your own AS dictionaries, and your TM must have at least 25000 segments in size. The Freelance version doesn' allow you to create them, but only to read existing ones sent by clients or the ones you can download.

Mike

P.S.
I wouldn't wait too long for an answer from SDL with that kind of questions, it could be a looong night...
Also, this may change in the soon-comming Studio 2011.

[Edited at 2011-07-15 01:23 GMT]
Collapse

Marina Steinbach
Marina Steinbach
United States
Member (2011)
English to German
TOPIC STARTER
Professional version vs. freelance version Jul 15, 2011

Hi Mike,

There is a difference between the professional and freelance version? Does SDL really differentiate between professional translators and freelance translators? Interesting…

Looking at my notes of yesterday's SDL webinar, I read that I can import an Excel glossary. That would be great, as I have maintained a term base - mainly technical - for over twenty years.

Reading my notes, I wonder if I am missing the "SDL Multiterm 2009". Perhaps this is al
... See more
Hi Mike,

There is a difference between the professional and freelance version? Does SDL really differentiate between professional translators and freelance translators? Interesting…

Looking at my notes of yesterday's SDL webinar, I read that I can import an Excel glossary. That would be great, as I have maintained a term base - mainly technical - for over twenty years.

Reading my notes, I wonder if I am missing the "SDL Multiterm 2009". Perhaps this is also not included in the trial version for freelancers?

I wish you a good night and thank you for your help!

Marina
Collapse

RWS Community
RWS Community
United Kingdom
English
Just to join the discussion ;-) Jul 15, 2011

Hi Marina,

How did you contact SDL Support? My guess is you sent a query through to sales or something like that, because if you are still using the trial version I think it's unlikely you have a support contract yet?

Anyway... just to answer a couple of your questions:

There is a difference between the professional and freelance version? Does SDL really differentiate between professional translators and freelance translators?

SDL differentiate between versions of the software and features in it. Freelance is a tool for professional translators. You can fiund a list of the differences here:
http://kb.sdl.com/article.aspx?article=2595&p=1

Reading my notes, I wonder if I am missing the "SDL Multiterm 2009". Perhaps this is also not included in the trial version for freelancers?

Correct. Although it is not included in the trial version for anyone as we only have one trial version which is actually an unrestricted version of Professional. If you purchase a license for SDL Trados Studio 2009 Professional or Freelance then you will receive a full version of MultiTerm and SDL Trados 2007 Suite.

Grammar does not seem to be important; I don't get any suggestions, there's no TM, no AutoSuggest, no open termbase – sigh…

You have to set these up in the Product when you start. There is a sample project included (at least I'm pretty sure it is in the trial version) and this includes Termbases, Translation Memories and AutoSuggest Dictionaries (one of the reasons the download is so big) so you cuild have a play with that. But normally these are all resources that you as a translator would create yourself so they are relevant to the way you work.

Well, if I can't try translating from German to English US, I'll try to translate a text from English US to German, as I have already downloaded the BPM file for this language pair. But, this file is now in "Downloads". Where does it have to be?

It can be anywhere you like... you just need to point to it in the AutoSuggest setup in Tools-Options. But I would recomment putting it in a folder somewhere safe rather than leaving it in your downloads folder.

Regards

Paul

Marina Steinbach
Marina Steinbach
United States
Member (2011)
English to German
TOPIC STARTER
SDL Support Jul 16, 2011

Hello Paul,

You are correct. Till now, I have only attended the SDL Trados Studio 2009 Webinar for beginners on July 12, 2011 and have afterwards only tried out the 30-day trial version. Yes, I do not have a support agreement in hand.

Therefore, your partial response to my posting is very much appreciated!

Marina

Emma Goldsmith
Emma Goldsmith  Identity Verified
Spain
Member (2004)
Spanish to English
Starting from scratch Jul 16, 2011

Sample files are only for you to see how the program works. To be honest, they are of no use to you in real life, because you have your own language pair (as you have discovered), your own speciality or field, and even your own terminology (for individual clients).
That's why it's best to start from scratch. Create a new, empty TM and use it for all your work. Create a new Termbase and start adding your own terms to it. And when your TM is big enought (25,000 segments upwards), then create
... See more
Sample files are only for you to see how the program works. To be honest, they are of no use to you in real life, because you have your own language pair (as you have discovered), your own speciality or field, and even your own terminology (for individual clients).
That's why it's best to start from scratch. Create a new, empty TM and use it for all your work. Create a new Termbase and start adding your own terms to it. And when your TM is big enought (25,000 segments upwards), then create an Autosuggest dictionary (you will need the Autosuggest add-on for this if you have the freelance version).
It takes time. You'll need to be patient to start seeing how all this will improve your terminology consistency and get leverage from similar files you have already translated, etc.

In the meantime, take advantage of the Auto text feature (basically a list of words or phrases that you add by hand and then get offered in the AutoSuggest drop-down as you write).

HTH
Collapse

Marina Steinbach
Marina Steinbach
United States
Member (2011)
English to German
TOPIC STARTER
Starting new, since I have moved from Germany to the US in December 2010 Jul 17, 2011

Hello Emma,

Thanks for your advice. I will buy a version for my two PCs and see what happens.

Most of the customers, who are seeking translation services at ProZ, seem to require this CAT tool.

Regards,

Marina

Marina Steinbach
Marina Steinbach
United States
Member (2011)
English to German
TOPIC STARTER
Termbase Jul 18, 2011

How do you create a new termbase in Trados Studio?

RWS Community
RWS Community
United Kingdom
English
To create a termbase ... Jul 18, 2011

... you use MultiTerm, and not Studio. There is an explanation of how to do this in the product help here:

http://tinyurl.com/createtermbase

Regards

Paul

Marina Steinbach
Marina Steinbach
United States
Member (2011)
English to German
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you! Jul 18, 2011

Regards,

Marina

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Problems with SDL Trados Studio 2009 30-Day Trial Version

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »