Pages in topic:   < [1 2 3]
How on earth can translating with Trados 2009 be faster than working directly in MS Word?
Thread poster: Richard Hill
Eileen Cartoon
Eileen Cartoon  Identity Verified
Local time: 15:07
Italian to English
I have to put in a good word for SDL service Jul 17, 2011

I've been reading everything and I must put in a good word for SDL service. I think that the money I spend for my service contract (a simple business expense and not a particularly expensive one) is the best money I spend. I have to say they have ALWAYS figured out the problem and resolved it, once even entering my computer to fix some errant files.

One difference, however, is that I practically never work at the last minute. I nearly always delivery a job a 1-3 days before schedule
... See more
I've been reading everything and I must put in a good word for SDL service. I think that the money I spend for my service contract (a simple business expense and not a particularly expensive one) is the best money I spend. I have to say they have ALWAYS figured out the problem and resolved it, once even entering my computer to fix some errant files.

One difference, however, is that I practically never work at the last minute. I nearly always delivery a job a 1-3 days before schedule. This means that if I do have a problem, I post a service voucher and they get back to me and I still have time to finish the job.

As for the CAT or not CAT question. I love the side by side display and do nearly all my work in CAT even when not strictly necessary. It is particularly useful when you change your mind on a term half way through and don't remember how you translated it before. You can always find it on the source side with the Find function or the Concordance function and make any changes. These are the things that can really speed up work, not simply the translating itself.

And I keep a TM for each customer plus a general TM. With studio you can apply more than one TM and I do: the customer-specific is used for that client while the general TMs are by subject and I use them whenever I have similar work. It really helps a lot. Remember the question is not only faster, but also better. And the better we get, the more work we can get. I have always found that this is the real key to the business.
Collapse

Richard Hill
Richard Hill  Identity Verified
Mexico
Local time: 08:07
Member (2011)
Spanish to English
TOPIC STARTER
sound advice, thanks! Jul 17, 2011

Eileen Cartoon wrote:

I've been reading everything and I must put in a good word for SDL service. I think that the money I spend for my service contract (a simple business expense and not a particularly expensive one) is the best money I spend.

Hi Eileen. You make a good point here.

Eileen Cartoon wrote:
As for the CAT or not CAT question. I love the side by side display and do nearly all my work in CAT even when not strictly necessary. It is particularly useful when you change your mind on a term half way through and don't remember how you translated it before. You can always find it on the source side with the Find function or the Concordance function and make any changes. These are the things that can really speed up work, not simply the translating itself.

These are the sort of points I was hoping to hear from my original question so as to help kill off my already flagging skepticism on CAT tools and I'm now starting to see much more clearly that once I become familiar with all the functions and the shortcut keys become second nature, I won't be opening MS Word half as much.

Eileen Cartoon wrote:
I keep a TM for each customer plus a general TM. With studio you can apply more than one TM and I do: the customer-specific is used for that client while the general TMs are by subject and I use them whenever I have similar work.

Seems like a sound way to organize things

Eileen Cartoon wrote:
Remember the question is not only faster, but also better. And the better we get, the more work we can get. I have always found that this is the real key to the business.

I agree, it's not only a question of becoming faster and you make another valid point to keep quality in mind.

Thanks for your reply Eileen.

rich

Richard Hill
Richard Hill  Identity Verified
Mexico
Local time: 08:07
Member (2011)
Spanish to English
TOPIC STARTER
A quick note of thanks to everyone Jul 17, 2011

Thanks to everyone for responding.

Most of you have helped to kill off my skepticism with respect to CAT tools, posting some good advice, and I now pretty much reckon that learning CAT tools is worthwhile, especially as they are relatively in the early stages, and in a few years, once a lot of issues have been ironed out, there won't be many translators working in MS Word.

A couple of people have reminded me that it takes all sorts, but the reassuring thing is that mo
... See more
Thanks to everyone for responding.

Most of you have helped to kill off my skepticism with respect to CAT tools, posting some good advice, and I now pretty much reckon that learning CAT tools is worthwhile, especially as they are relatively in the early stages, and in a few years, once a lot of issues have been ironed out, there won't be many translators working in MS Word.

A couple of people have reminded me that it takes all sorts, but the reassuring thing is that most people have been helpful.

Thanks to those who had patience for the newbie. I realize that I haven't been following the learning curve in the most efficient way. i.e. Learning how to change language codes in TM's, set up Autosuggest dictionaries and converting file formats for shared use amongst different CAT tools before learning the most basic stuff like how autosuggest works with a TM. Buy anyway, now I've sorted out some of the more baffling tasks, it's back to the beginning of the learning curve for me. Watching a few more videos, opening un SDL studio, and becoming familiar with the basic functions.

Thanks again everyone!

rich
Collapse

Pages in topic:   < [1 2 3]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

How on earth can translating with Trados 2009 be faster than working directly in MS Word?

Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »