Thread poster: Richard Hill

Richard Hill  Identity Verified
Mexico
Local time: 16:35
Member (2011)
Spanish to English
Jul 16, 2011

Hi everybody.

I was wondering if it's possible can create termbases and/or TM's and/or autosuggest dictionaries for Spanish (source) and English (target) with the language codes as ES and EN, without specifying the sub-language codes and use the ES and EN termbases, TM's and autosuggest dictionaries in a Trados project set up as ES-MX and EN-US, or any other variants of Spanish and English, respectively?

thanks in advance.

rich

Direct link Reply with quote

SDL Community  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 23:35
English
In a word... no Jul 16, 2011

Hi Rich,

Studio uses rules set down by Microsoft for autolocalizing many things and these tend to sit at TM level. You can see which rules and languages we support here:

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/goglobal/bb896001.aspx

So, if you didn't select the correct sublanguage then you could find that some things you do are incorrectly autolocalised.

The exception to this of course is Termbases where you don't have to set the sublanguage if you don't want to because we don't autolocalise anything in MultiTerm. It's just useful for some users to have seperate termbases for each sublanguage to ensure consistency in their work when they translate in more than one flavour.

Regards

Paul

[Edited at 2011-07-16 19:17 GMT]

Mexico
Member (2011)
Spanish to English
TOPIC STARTER
Language codes in autosuggest dictionary Jul 16, 2011

SDL Support wrote:
So, if you didn't select the correct sublanguage then you could find that some things you do are incorrectly autolocalised.
aul

[Edited at 2011-07-16 19:17 GMT]

Hi Paul. Firstly, thanks a lot for your reply. Your answer is really helpful. As always with me, an answer leads to another question and I think you might be the person who could help me. i.e. Is the autosuggest suggestion merely a suggestion based on a list of words or is it a translation-based suggestion? In other words, if I'm translating from Spanish to English, and "Casa" is in the source text (or in the source segment I'm currently translating), and I type "h" in the target text, will the suggestion merely be based on a list of words, or will it intuitively suggest "house" because it knows that "casa" is in my source text? I ask this because I haven't noticed that it does so, but I occurred to me that it may?

One more question if that's OK. I currently have an autosuggest dictionary set up with as "es-ES" to "en-US" in an "es-MX" to "es-US" project. Is this a problem? i.e. If the answer to my above question is that the autosuggest dictionary is an intuitive translation-based suggestion, would having conflicting language codes prevent proper function?

thanks again Paul.

Regards,

rich

SDL Community  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 23:35
English
AutoSuggest Jul 16, 2011

Hi Rich,

As I mentioned in another question where you asked similar things, AutoSuggest actually draws on information from three places:

1. AutoSuggest Dictionaries
  2. MultiTerm termbases
  3. AutoText lists

The AutoSuggest Dictionaries are based on information that was in the Translation Memory used to generate the Dictionary, and the information returned in the target is based on what is in your source segment. I seem to recall reading you are testing a downloaded Dictionary based on an EU TM. This means that unless you translate the sort of texts that were used to create this you could easily find you don't get as much leverage from this as you expect. Your own TM (when it gets large enough) will get you better results.

MultiTerm termbase suggestions are based on terms that are found in your source segment.

AutoText is simply a list of phrases or words that you have added in your target language, and if you have something in there that matches what you are typing (like the Auto-text in MS Word) then these are presented.

On your last question... I'm surprised this works at all. You need to have matching sub-languages and actually get a warning if you try to add a mismatch.

Regards

Paul

Mexico
Member (2011)
Spanish to English
TOPIC STARTER
TM and Termbase Jul 17, 2011

SDL Support wrote:
As I mentioned in another question where you asked similar things
Paul

Hi Paul. I apologize for repeating myself. I hope you understand that I am trying to meet my translation deadlines, and learning Trados in my "spare" time, and as I progress, new question come to mind and it can be really time consuming to search for the answers, although I do search forums and watch videos, and here I go again with related questions:

SDL Support wrote:
Your own TM (when it gets large enough) will get you better results.
Paul

If I have more than one TM in a project, do new TU's automatically get stored in the first TM in the list? And can I set things up to store new TU's in more than one TM in the same project?

SDL Support wrote:
MultiTerm termbase suggestions are based on terms that are found in your source segment.
Paul

I've only just discovered that these are the terms marked with red bracket-type lines in the source segment, thanks to another forum-member's response, but I don't know how to transfer the red bracketed terms to the target segment. Could you please advise me how to do so?

SDL Support wrote:
AutoText is simply a list of phrases or words that you have added in your target language, and if you have something in there that matches what you are typing (like the Auto-text in MS Word) then these are presented.
Paul

Now understand! Thanks for explaining.

When I first started asking "similar" questions, given my absolute ignorance, I didn't even understand what I was asking, but now things are beginning to make sense thanks to your and everybody's help and patience.

Regards,

rich

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Language codes for TM's, autosuggest and termbase languages

Advanced search

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
Across v6.3
Translation Toolkit and Sales Potential under One Roof

Apart from features that enable you to translate more efficiently, the new Across Translator Edition v6.3 comprises your crossMarket membership. The new online network for Across users assists you in exploring new sales potential and generating revenue.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search