Thread poster: Richard Hill

Richard Hill  Identity Verified
Mexico
Local time: 21:22
Member (2011)
Spanish to English
Jul 16, 2011

Hi again everybody!

I have loaded the European Union autosuggest dictionary but I don't understand how it works. When I type the autosuggest drop down list appears only sometimes, in fact most times I type there is no suggestion. Why is this? And what criteria does it use to decide what words to suggest to me from the millions of words in the autosuggest file? And, considering that there are millions of words, why if I start typing a word beginning with say "a" I might get a suggestion, then I start typing the next word with say "e" and no suggestion appears? And why would it suggest a word for "a" on one occasion then the next time I type "a", no suggestion appears?

thanks in advance

rich

Direct link Reply with quote

Marinus Vesseur  Identity Verified
Canada
Local time: 19:22
English to Dutch
+ ...
SDL Studio autosuggest and other SDL Studio issues Jul 16, 2011

It seems that only those terms are suggested that have a corresponding term in the source segment. If you started typing 'a' and autosuggest were to give you every word starting with an 'a' the list would be too long. So you will only get 'casa' suggested if 'house' is in the source text.

Even so, I tend to set a limit so I only get words with more than 7 or 8 letters suggested to me. There is an additional mental exercise involved in having to decide whether the suggested word is the correct one. I have that with Google Translate as well. It seems to require a different kind of concentration to check whether a suggestion is true and, if not, what I'd have to do to correct it, so I use these tools sparingly. I'm probably getting to old for that kind of multitasking.

When Studio was new the suggestions would come unreliably, on and off, but it seems those issues have been dealt with.

The one issue that still hasn't been addressed is the unreliability of the project files. Once in a while a project is ruined by a computer hiccup damaging the project file ( .sdlproj) which appears to be an xml file, so not very well protected, and there is NO backup. It's always been so that Trados provides no safety net for program crashes, like for example Word does since version 2003. I guess they think that the TM is enough of a safety net per definition. Until Trados 2007 the TMs themselves were unreliable, so when Studio started showing a different setup I was relieved. Except that now the project files are fragile. It would seem very simple to create a scenario in which the project file is backed up every 5 minutes, plus before every action, such as before an analysis, before switching back to editor mode, when the file is stored, etc. but data safety is still not an SDL priority, it seems. Too bad.

My second worry, particularly when the project is big, is whether Studio will be able to store the target file correctly. I've only had that once and it wasn't a big deal, since you can start another project with the same file, then pre-translate and convert that one.

As long as you can fully depend on the TM, most issues can be sorted out with the help of support, but alas, you'd have to pay extra to get that kind of quick support. Better to learn the ins and outs of the program to be able to help yourself. But then.. what linguist has the propensity to do that? Why should we have to bend over backwards time and time again to learn what those aliens/geeks have wrought this time? That's my most elementary peeve about all these tools - they aren't designed with the average translator in mind, although there have been improvements lately. There is an element of psychology that is being disregarded that makes CAT less intuitive to the translator than they could be.

Oh and forget about translating Excel files with Studio. Nobody has that much time.

Otherwise Studio isn't so bad. Hope they don't mess things up with the next upgrade.

HTH

- Rien

Mexico
Member (2011)
Spanish to English
TOPIC STARTER
that makes perfect sense Jul 16, 2011

Marinus Vesseur wrote:
It seems that only those terms are suggested that have a corresponding term in the source segment. If you started typing 'a' and autosuggest were to give you every word starting with an 'a' the list would be too long. So you will only get 'casa' suggested if 'house' is in the source text.
- Rien

Hi Marinus. Firstly, thanks so much for your reply, your answer cleared up my question perfectly as well as other questions I had in mind.

Marinus Vesseur wrote:
I tend to set a limit so I only get words with more than 7 or 8 letters suggested to me.
- Rien

I hadn't realized that was possible. Nice tip. I'll be looking into it. Setting a limit makes sense so as to be shown a shorter drop down list, and no having to press enter so many times to reach and select the appropriate word.

Marinus Vesseur wrote:
I'm probably getting to old for that kind of multitasking.
- Rien

I know what you mean. I was really daunted (and skeptical) about taking up the challenge of learning to use Trados, but thanks to this forum, I'm starting to believe it's worthwhile.

Marinus Vesseur wrote:
My second worry, particularly when the project is big, is whether Studio will be able to store the target file correctly. I've only had that once and it wasn't a big deal, since you can start another project with the same file, then pre-translate and convert that one.
- Rien

As a newbie I'm not sure I know what you mean but I think I may. Seems like a great safety-net I'd never have though of. Good to know! If that happens to me i'll definitely bear this in mind.

Marinus Vesseur wrote:
There is an element of psychology that is being disregarded that makes CAT less intuitive to the translator than they could be.
- Rien

Absolutely! Like I said, I found the prospect so daunting at first. Here's to you, this forum and all its helpful members.

Marinus Vesseur wrote:
So you will only get 'casa' suggested if 'house' is in the source text.
- Rien

A new question suddenly occurred to me re the above quote. i.e. Is the autosuggest suggestion merely a suggestion based on a list of words or is it a translation-based suggestion? In other words, if I'm translating from Spanish to English, and "Casa" is in the source text (or in the segment I'm currently working on), and I type "h" in the TARGET text, will the suggestion merely be based on a list of words, or will it intuitively suggest "house" because it knows that "casa" is in my source text? I ask because I haven't noticed that it does so, but I occurred to me from the above quote that it may be the case?

I hadn't planned on asking you a question in my reply until one suddenly occurred to me at the last minute. Oh well, I hope you don't mind.

Thanks again

Rich

[Edited at 2011-07-16 21:27 GMT]

Marinus Vesseur  Identity Verified
Canada
Local time: 19:22
English to Dutch
+ ...
SDL Studio Autosuggest and MultiTerm for beginners Jul 17, 2011

You will notice when translating that every time there are but a few suggestions, or just one, and they correspond to the word(s) in the source segment. MultiTerm works the same way. Only the terms that correspond to terms is in the source segment are shown (Trados lingo: 'source segment' and 'target segment' - retain these terms).

I recommend that you start building a MultiTerm termbase - despite the fact that MultiTerm 'Desktop' is one of the most un-intuitive programs ever, but then simply making one new, empty termbase isn't so bad. Give it a memorable name, determine what languages you want to store terms in (as many as you like) and make a mental note of where you stored it. After that you can close MultiTerm desktop, go back to Studio and here go to Project Settings, to integrate your new, empty termbase. From that point on you will be able to add terms on-the-fly by marking a term on the left, then marking one on the right (can be more than one word), right-clicking and selecting Add New Term. Studio will now start 'autosuggesting' these term as well.

There is a 'fuzzy' setting to MultiTerm - you can let it suggest words and word combinations that aren't exactly according to the spelling of the terms in the source by setting a certain percentage value - but I haven't found a similar setting for Autosuggest. In other words: if the source contains 'casa', but your Autosuggest file only contains 'casas' you probably will not get a suggestion from Autosuggest, but you would from Multiterm, provided you entered that term before and your 'Search Settings' have a lower match value than 100%.

Two curiosities, for the advanced user, but I mention them, because they would relate to what you wrote: it will not suggest 'House' with a capital 'H' when the target term is not stored in the termbase that way. You would have to store a separate, new term with a capital letter (and say 'No' when Studio asks you if you want to edit the already avaible, lower case 'casa') to get that suggested as well. Also it won't suggest anything twice. So in case of "Mi casa es su casa" you will not get the suggestion 'house' a second time - don't ask me why.

This is simple in theory only, of course and sometimes it also just doesn't work. You may encounter hurdles on the way, is what I'm saying. Some tenaciousness is required.

HTH

- Rien

rich. wrote:

A new question suddenly occurred to me re the above quote. i.e. Is the autosuggest suggestion merely a suggestion based on a list of words or is it a translation-based suggestion? In other words, if I'm translating from Spanish to English, and "Casa" is in the source text (or in the segment I'm currently working on), and I type "h" in the source text, will the suggestion merely be based on a list of words, or will it intuitively suggest "house" because it knows that "casa" is in my source text? I ask because I haven't noticed that it does so, but I occurred to me from the above quote that it may be the case?

Rich

[Edited at 2011-07-17 04:02 GMT]

Mexico
Member (2011)
Spanish to English
TOPIC STARTER
Jul 17, 2011

[Edited at 2011-07-17 02:28 GMT]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

criteria for autosuggest dictionary

Advanced search

PerfectIt consistency checker
Faster Checking, Greater Accuracy

PerfectIt helps deliver error-free documents. It improves consistency, ensures quality and helps to enforce style guides. It’s a powerful tool for pro users, and comes with the assurance of a 30-day money back guarantee.

More info »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search