corrupt xlz file
Thread poster: eileenPL
eileenPL
Local time: 21:51
Polish to English
Jul 16, 2011

Dear colleagues,

I received an .xlz file to translate which turned out to be corrupt (at least that's what my computer system thinks of it). I tried to open it with Idiom, then with Studio (as an .xlf file) but to no avail... The Studio notifies me about an error, i.e. unexpected DTD declaration and tells me to "enable DTD processing by setting the ProhibitDTD property on XmlReader settings to false and then pass the settings into XmlReader.Create method". I've searched for such an option in Studio's menu but there's nothing like this. This piece of advice sounds really strange to me and I would be grateful if anyone could tell me what to do and where to start...

Regards,

Marta

[Edited at 2011-07-16 10:25 GMT]

Direct link Reply with quote

Adam Łobatiuk  Identity Verified
Poland
Member (2009)
English to Polish
+ ...
A possible solution Jul 16, 2011

In Studio, you might need to go to Tools > Options > File Types > XLIFF > Schema Validation and uncheck the first or both checkboxes. Hope that helps.

eileenPL
Polish to English
TOPIC STARTER
It works!!! Jul 16, 2011

You're a genius! Thank you so much! I've unchecked both checkboxes. I thought that nothing can be done about it, but I'm so glad now that I can get down to work at last

Regards,
Marta

LapL
Local time: 22:51
Having the same problem Jul 28, 2011

Sorry to use Marta2's thread, but since I'm having the same problem, I decided to post my problem here. I tried changing the above mentioned settings in Studio (I'm using Studio 2009), but I still get the error message saying the file type is not supported. Idiom Worldserver Desktop Workbench on the other hand keeps saying the .XLZ file is corrupt.

I'd be very thankful for any help so that I could get started with the translation. Thanks.

[Edited at 2011-07-28 07:31 GMT]

SDL Community  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
English
Maybe it is corrupt? Jul 28, 2011

Hi,

If studio won't open it, and Desktop Workbench reports it as being corrupt then perhaps it is. Can you download the file again?

Regards

Paul

LapL
Hi Paul, Jul 28, 2011

thanks a lot for your reply. Yes, I already downloaded the file again, but the problem still persists. I am using the Freelance version of Studio 2009, if that's relevant.

United Kingdom
English
Can I see it? Jul 28, 2011

Hi,

Can you share the file with me?

Regards

Paul
pfilkin@sdl.com

LapL
Thank you Jul 29, 2011

Thanks a lot for your offer, Paul. However, it turned out the file was either corrupt or not compatible with Trados after all, so the assignment was dropped. Thank you!

xxxkalap
Paul & SDL Jul 29, 2011

We appreciate your eagerness to help someone out, but client files should be kept confidential. Simple business ethics.

United Kingdom
English
Of course... Jul 29, 2011

... but sometimes the only real way to resolve an issue is to check the file. Of course you don't have to provide it (this would obviously impact my sideline in industrial espionage.... just kidding), but you could always ask your Client and this might not be an issue.

At the end of the day it's always easier to resolve file related problems when we can see them, but I do understand the problem and we often work under NDA for some customers with particularly sensitive information.

The problems are not always the software..!

Regards

Paul

xxxkalap
Thanks Aug 3, 2011

Hi Paul.

Thank you for your reply. Most translators also have confidentiality agreements too. These should have priority. Of course we have to ask our client first. Just in case this might be seen as data leakage. And maybe there are other, simplier solutions, such as using the software by which the file has been created.

[Edited at 2011-08-03 04:50 GMT]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

corrupt xlz file

Advanced search

Déjà Vu X3
Try it, Love it

Find out why Déjà Vu is today the most flexible, customizable and user-friendly tool on the market. See the brand new features in action: *Completely redesigned user interface *Live Preview *Inline spell checking *Inline

More info »
PDF Translation - the Easy Way
TransPDF converts your PDFs to XLIFF ready for professional translation.

TransPDF converts your PDFs to XLIFF ready for professional translation. It also puts your translations back into the PDF to make new PDFs. Quicker and more accurate than hand-editing PDF. Includes free use of Infix PDF Editor with your translated PDFs.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search