Where did these tags come from and how do I delete them?
Thread poster: Stefano Nicola D'Amato
Stefano Nicola D'Amato  Identity Verified
Local time: 15:46
Spanish to English
+ ...
Jul 16, 2011

I created a simple text in Word and wanted to practice translating it using Studio 2009.
In the text I created in Word, I only used one font and did not use bold, underline, italics, etc.
The only thing that I can think of that may have caused errors is that, at one point, I changed my keyboard input from EN to ES in order to write a word in Spanish with accent marks. This is where tags were inserted, so I'm sure that has to be the answer. But how do I get rid of these tags?
I am unable to save target document due to the errors with the tags. I searched Studio's help and it suggest Tag Verify but it highlights the errors that I was already aware of.

[Edited at 2011-07-16 18:03 GMT]

Direct link Reply with quote

SDL Community  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 21:46
English
In the source document Jul 16, 2011

Hi Stefano,

The whole point of the CAT is that you transfer the same tags that are in the source and put them in the target. So why would you want to get them rid of them? In this case, it would be harmless, granted, but if the file was a tagged format you need to be able to see them and handle them correctly.

So, if these are the only tags being picked up then copy, or place, them over to the target segment and the file should save.

Regards

Paul

Stefano Nicola D'Amato  Identity Verified
Local time: 15:46
Spanish to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks, Paul Jul 16, 2011

I understand what you are saying, but are these tags actually necessary? Am I correct in assuming that the tags were placed to handle the accent marks? I'm not quite sure I understand what the tags are doing in this case.
In other words, if indeed the tag was placed to indicate an accent mark, why were they only inserted in this one case? What does the "GoBack/" actually refer to?

I guess I'm trying to figure out why, in this case, where it is a simple text (same font, no headings, no bold, etc.) why do these appear?

Thanks for your quick reply.

[Edited at 2011-07-16 18:40 GMT]

Jerzy Czopik  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2003)
Polish to German
+ ...
You have changed the language Jul 16, 2011

And how shall Word know this without tags?
The program cannot think as you do, so it uses the code (tags) to note where to start and where to stop with which formatting. In fact it is as simple as that.
To learn more about tags try to understand how HTML works.

SDL Community  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
English
They look more like bookmarks.. Jul 16, 2011

Hi Stefan,

I think the idea of Studio having to decipher how important a tag actually is for every file format we support is a little tricky... if not dangerous in the very likely event we got it wrong. After all, tags can also be custom made and there is no way we would ever know how important these are for the correct construction of the target file.

So, the idea is that we pick up the tags and display them so that you as a translator can make sure they are placed linguistically in the correct place in the target. This way the reader of the translated document will have the same experience as the reader of the source.

We do sometimes move structural tags outside of the segment, and we can hide inline formatting tags, but we don't make a decision on the importance of any tags... with the exception of some formatting for example.

Regards

Paul

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Where did these tags come from and how do I delete them?

Advanced search

memoQ translator pro
Kilgray's memoQ is the world's fastest developing integrated localization & translation environment rendering you more productive and efficient.

With our advanced file filters, unlimited language and advanced file support, memoQ translator pro has been designed for translators and reviewers who work on their own, with other translators or in team-based translation projects.

More info »
BaccS – Business Accounting Software
Modern desktop project management for freelance translators

BaccS makes it easy for translators to manage their projects, schedule tasks, create invoices, and view highly customizable reports. User-friendly, ProZ.com integration, community-driven development – a few reasons BaccS is trusted by translators!

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search