https://www.proz.com/forum/sdl_trados_support/203387-studio_2011_blog_entries.html

Pages in topic:   [1 2] >
Studio 2011 Blog entries
Thread poster: RWS Community
RWS Community
RWS Community
United Kingdom
Local time: 21:28
English
Jul 16, 2011

Hi,

You probably all know we are going to be releasing Studio 2011 soon, and as part of the lead up to the release we are writing the occasional blog article about some of the features. These articles will quite interesting for some of you so I thought I'd share the link here:

http://blog.sdl.com/

You can subscribe to this with RSS and be notified as we publish, and if you use
... See more
Hi,

You probably all know we are going to be releasing Studio 2011 soon, and as part of the lead up to the release we are writing the occasional blog article about some of the features. These articles will quite interesting for some of you so I thought I'd share the link here:

http://blog.sdl.com/

You can subscribe to this with RSS and be notified as we publish, and if you use Twitter you can follow many SDL Tweeters to get notified as well... here's a few if you are interested:

@SDLTechnologies
@BrockmannDaniel
@Ghislandi
@paulfilkin

The first article we have written is this one, about the bilingual word filetype for Studio:

http://tinyurl.com/Studio2011-bilingualword

Regards

Paul
Collapse

Selcuk Akyuz
Selcuk Akyuz  Identity Verified
Türkiye
Local time: 22:28
English to Turkish
+ ...
The Return of the Bilingual Word File Type Jul 16, 2011

In other words, the end of SDLXLIFF! Just wait and see, SDL will abandon SDLXLIFF and use standard xliff, just like MemoQ, DVX and Swordfish. I am sure that SDL engineers are already working on SP1 for Studio 2011. Prejudice? Yes

RWS Community
RWS Community
United Kingdom
English
TOPIC STARTER
Already working... yes... Jul 16, 2011

... ... but rest assured we won't be abandoning SDLXLIFF. Anyway memoQ doesn't use vanilla XLIFF either. We're both XLIFF compliant but it's just not flexible enough. Can't speak for DVX or Swordfish.

Regards

Paul

J Gallagher (X)
J Gallagher (X)  Identity Verified
Finland
English to Finnish
+ ...
Just curious... Jul 16, 2011

... what are the biggest issues with vanilla XLIFF?

RWS Community
RWS Community
United Kingdom
English
TOPIC STARTER
Biggest issues. Jul 17, 2011

Hello J Gallagher,

It's really down to having to define extensions to the XLIFF standard so that the file can support more information than the vanilla XLIFF uses as standard. The use of these extensions within the file is perfectly acceptable under the standard, but the information within them may not be readily useful for any tool other than Studio.

So for example, the wysiwyg formatting we enable, context information for Context Matching, additional tag information,
... See more
Hello J Gallagher,

It's really down to having to define extensions to the XLIFF standard so that the file can support more information than the vanilla XLIFF uses as standard. The use of these extensions within the file is perfectly acceptable under the standard, but the information within them may not be readily useful for any tool other than Studio.

So for example, the wysiwyg formatting we enable, context information for Context Matching, additional tag information, enhanced commenting capability etc. There is quite a lot of these types of things that XLIFF does not provide for as standard.

Most tools will simply ignore extensions they don't understand so this ensures interoperability between tools but this does mean that when users "CAT hop" there will always be some loss of information between them.

Regards

Paul
Collapse

Alexandre Maricato
Alexandre Maricato
Brazil
Local time: 16:28
English to Portuguese
How about compatibility? Jul 18, 2011

Will 2011 come with Trados 2009 and 2007 to make our lives even more eaiser?

Or did you already have the time to develop a compatibility engine to let us work with a single version instead of dealing with the always easy and fun switch between versions and formats?

And the TMs? Will it be possible just to merge two 2011 TMs or the export to Tmx will be still present?

It would be a big breakthrough in the software industry to develop a version that is compat
... See more

Or did you already have the time to develop a compatibility engine to let us work with a single version instead of dealing with the always easy and fun switch between versions and formats?

And the TMs? Will it be possible just to merge two 2011 TMs or the export to Tmx will be still present?

It would be a big breakthrough in the software industry to develop a version that is compatible with the previous ones. I full support this idea!
Collapse

Hakan Kiyici
Hakan Kiyici  Identity Verified
Türkiye
Member (2009)
English to Turkish
+ ...
Is it Trados 2011 or actually Trados 2009 SP4 Jul 18, 2011

Hi,

I have checked the available info and brochure.

I had found 2007 kind of complicated and moved to other CATs. But, started using Trados with Trados 2009.

Actually, there is not such drastic change from 2009 to 2011 as it was the case in change from 2007 to 2009.

2011 centers more around review functions and remedying what had not been thought thoroughly when releasing 2009 and not fixed in SP2 or SP3 (spelling, bilingual files, backward in
... See more
Hi,

I have checked the available info and brochure.

I had found 2007 kind of complicated and moved to other CATs. But, started using Trados with Trados 2009.

Actually, there is not such drastic change from 2009 to 2011 as it was the case in change from 2007 to 2009.

2011 centers more around review functions and remedying what had not been thought thoroughly when releasing 2009 and not fixed in SP2 or SP3 (spelling, bilingual files, backward incompatibility and many others).

It may not be that much wrong to say (with limited info available) that they had actually fixed what had been discussed in the forums as faults/glitches/omitted fetaures and named it 2011 instead of 2009 SP4.

And, worst, charging almost one-third of full price. I can admit that quite much of effort might have been put in, but presenting it as if it was something quite different and charge current 2009 owners for one-third of price is "different".

Or, do I perceive it wrong? May be I should wait for more info to come out.

Kind regards

Hakan
Collapse

RWS Community
RWS Community
United Kingdom
English
TOPIC STARTER
On your questions so far... Jul 18, 2011

Alexandre Maricato wrote:

I wasn't sure if this was a serious question or not... but I'll try to give a serious answer. 2011 does not need 2009 or 2007 and will handle legacy formats on it's own. I can see no reason to retain 2009 at all, although you can do as they run alongside each other, but if you wish to purchase 2007 (this will only apply to new users I guess) then we will still make packages available for those who wish to own it.

This is possible now of course in 2009, you just need to know how to do it. If you use the upgrade path (Tools - Upgrade Translation Memories) you can merge sdlxliff, tmx, txt, tmw, mdb into as many language configurations as you like, and even with a mixed starting point like this where you have one or more of each different flavour.

Regards

Paul

Alexandre Maricato
Alexandre Maricato
Brazil
Local time: 16:28
English to Portuguese
Is it possible to merge two TMs on Studio format without exporting? Jul 18, 2011

This is possible now of course in 2009, you just need to know how to do it. If you use the upgrade path (Tools - Upgrade Translation Memories) you can merge sdlxliff, tmx, txt, tmw, mdb into as many language configurations as you like, and even with a mixed starting point like this where you have one or more of each different flavour.

Hi Paul,

I was asking about merging two TMs on Studio format (without having to export one TM to Tmx and the import the Tmx to the other TM on Studio format).

To make it clear: I have two TMs on Studio format.

To merge then:

a) Simply merge the two Studio TMs?

b) Export one TM to Tmx (which is not Studio format) then import this exported Tm to the other TM on Studio format?

This is a feature which steamlines the process, which as far as I know is not possible on Studio (please correct me if I am wrong).

Regarding the other question, I wasnt' sure if it was a serious question either. To use Studio and 2007 at the same time is like if Microsoft released Office 2010 and forced us to use Office 2003 to work with doc files (because the 2007-2010 is docx and cannot handle the doc without a long and error prone process). I also wonder if they were serious if they had such idea.

Thanks

Adam Łobatiuk
Adam Łobatiuk  Identity Verified
Poland
Member (2009)
English to Polish
+ ...
@ Paul re backward compatibility Jul 18, 2011

SDL Support wrote:
I wasn't sure if this was a serious question or not... but I'll try to give a serious answer. 2011 does not need 2009 or 2007 and will handle legacy formats on it's own. I can see no reason to retain 2009 at all, although you can do as they run alongside each other, but if you wish to purchase 2007 (this will only apply to new users I guess) then we will still make packages available for those who wish to own it.

In Studio 2009, the recommended procedure for handling TTX files was to presegment them with Workbench, presumably due to segmentation differences. Despite that, there have been occasional issues with the resulting TTX files. Has the TTX filter been improved in 2011, especially as this version will be offered without 2007?

Another question: if I upgrade to 2011, and clients keep sending me 2009 projects, will I be able to work on them, and return 2009 compatible packages to my clients? Or do I need to keep 2009 alongside 2011? Thanks!

RWS Community
RWS Community
United Kingdom
English
TOPIC STARTER
Merging TMs in Studio Jul 18, 2011

I was asking about merging two TMs on Studio format (without having to export one TM to Tmx and the import the Tmx to the other TM on Studio format).
To make it clear: I have two TMs on Studio format.
To merge then:
a) Simply merge the two Studio TMs?
b) Export one TM to Tmx (which is not Studio format) then import this exported Tm to the other TM on Studio format?
This is a feature which steamlines the process, which as far as I know is not possible on Studio (please correct me if I am wrong).

Hi Alexandre,

Yes this is possible (always has been in 2009, and still is in 2011), with multiple TMs and even starting with different formats. Use the Upgrade TM routine for this as follows.

I'll use for this example one MDB, one TMW, one TMX and 3 SDLTMs. They don't even have to be the same language pairs, although it helps if you are trying to combine them. If they are different you will be offered the possible combinations you can make during the process. So, first I go to Tools - Upgrade Translation Memories and add my Translation Memories that I want to merge together:

In the next screen I can decide how I want these memories to be merged. So I can choose from the following:

1. create output TMs for each input TM
  2. create output TMs for each language pair
  3. create a custom output of TMs as you see fit
I'll go for the SDLTMs for each language pair and as I have two language directions in the options I now get the TMs split up into two language directions to match the languages I used:

I then have all the usual options to allow me to customise this further if I like, but I'll just accept all the defaults and finish for this example. The result is a combination of upgrades and merges all into two SDLTMs:

Finishing up with two additional TMs in my folder which are the merged results of the original 6 TMs I started with:

I hope this is clear. You could do something as simple as merging two SDLTMs but I wanted to show you how flexible this can be. Certainly I hope the question of whether you can do this in Studio or not is clear.

Regards

Paul

RWS Community
RWS Community
United Kingdom
English
TOPIC STARTER
TTX Procedure and 2011 Projects Jul 18, 2011

Adam Łobatiuk wrote:
In Studio 2009, the recommended procedure for handling TTX files was to presegment them with Workbench, presumably due to segmentation differences. Despite that, there have been occasional issues with the resulting TTX files. Has the TTX filter been improved in 2011, especially as this version will be offered without 2007?

Hi Adam,

I think most problems we see are caused by not disabling the smart tag pairing that can cause backward conversion issues, particularly with XML converted to TTX, and then adding tags to the TTX that were not there in the first place. I'm not aware of anything else in the current TTX filter... but that doesn't mean there haven't been improvements. Certainly the 2011 release brings a lot of changes in this regard and most of the filetypes have been improved.

Adam Łobatiuk wrote:
Another question: if I upgrade to 2011, and clients keep sending me 2009 projects, will I be able to work on them, and return 2009 compatible packages to my clients? Or do I need to keep 2009 alongside 2011? Thanks!

Yes you will as long as you use the package. Whilst the SDLXLIFF and SDLTM are the same between both versions the SDLPROJ has changed, partly because we have removed all the filetype folders you used to get generated each time you created a project or used Open Document. You can run 2009 and 2011 alongside each other but there should be no need unless you are zipping up Projects and sharing these with other users.

Regards

Paul

[Edited at 2011-07-18 22:03 GMT]

Selcuk Akyuz
Selcuk Akyuz  Identity Verified
Türkiye
English to Turkish
+ ...
So is this a new version Jul 18, 2011

Can we call it a new version or is it just a service pack, e.g. SP4? IMO, bugs should be fixed free of charge! Honestly I cannot see any new features, sorry there is the new Track Changes feature (I remember it from MemoQ).

And now there seems to be a new compatibility problem.

SDL Support wrote:

Whilst the SDLXLIFF and SDLTM are the same between both versions the SDLPROJ has changed, partly because we have removed all the filetype folders you used to get generated each time you created a project or used Open Document. You can run 2009 and 2011 alongside each other but there should be no need unless you are zipping up Projects and sharing these with other users.

So what does it mean? Other CAT tools will not be able to translate SDLPRPJ files just by unzipping the project file?

Just one more question, what about WinAlign? Finally included in Studio?

Selcuk

RWS Community
RWS Community
United Kingdom
English
TOPIC STARTER
Is this helpful? Jul 18, 2011

Sorry Selcuk,

I must be confusing you. The SDLPROJ file is not the package, this is still the same. The SDLPROJ file is the xml file containing settings that Studio uses to help manage the Project in Studio. The package was, and still is, an SDLPPX.

On an explanation of more features... I think I'll just go back to the original title of this thread "Studio 2011 Blog Entries". As we approach the release date we will share more and more information on the release and
... See more
Sorry Selcuk,

I must be confusing you. The SDLPROJ file is not the package, this is still the same. The SDLPROJ file is the xml file containing settings that Studio uses to help manage the Project in Studio. The package was, and still is, an SDLPPX.

On an explanation of more features... I think I'll just go back to the original title of this thread "Studio 2011 Blog Entries". As we approach the release date we will share more and more information on the release and then you will learn more about what is in it.

Regards

Paul
Collapse

RWS Community
RWS Community
United Kingdom
English
TOPIC STARTER
Studio 2011 Series : Using Auto-text and AutoSuggest Jul 20, 2011

Hi,

We just published another article on enhancements to Auto-text as part of the AutoSuggest feature.

http://blog.sdl.com/blog/2011/07/studio-2011-series-using-auto-text-and-autosuggest.html

It's not all about what's new in 2011, and some of the material in there might help to explain some of the recent discus
... See more
Hi,

We just published another article on enhancements to Auto-text as part of the AutoSuggest feature.

http://blog.sdl.com/blog/2011/07/studio-2011-series-using-auto-text-and-autosuggest.html

It's not all about what's new in 2011, and some of the material in there might help to explain some of the recent discussions in this forum about what AutoSuggest actually is.

Regards

Paul
Collapse

Pages in topic:   [1 2] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Studio 2011 Blog entries

Translation news related to SDL Trados

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »