Delete 100 % Matches in Word
Thread poster: Rainer Chatterjee

Rainer Chatterjee  Identity Verified
Local time: 21:15
English to German
+ ...
Jul 17, 2011

Hello Colleagues

I am working on a file with many 100 % matches for which I am not getting paid, so I am looking for a way to simply delete the all the 100 % matches (and 99 and less % fuzzies, if possible) from the file.
Could I do this simply with a Search and Replace function or do I need a special macro?
I would greatly appreciate all help and suggestions.

Direct link Reply with quote

Anna Sylvia Villegas Carvallo
Mexico
Local time: 14:15
English to Spanish
If you... Jul 18, 2011

...have Trados, you should pretranslate (99 and 100% in green) and translate black sentences only.

Just a suggestion.

Emma Goldsmith  Identity Verified
Spain
Member (2010)
Spanish to English
Matches only for CAT tools Jul 18, 2011

If you don't use a CAT tool, you shouldn't accept anything except your full rate for all words in a file. You would spend far more time identifying the 100% matches in Word than actually translating them.

If you're not being paid for the 100% matches, your client will be expecting you to do this job with a CAT tool. I think you should get back to your client and confirm this.

Edited to add:
I think I've misunderstood the title of your post and you're probably using Workbench in Word, not just Word on its own.
If you're using Workbench, then pretranslate the file with the TM and then use "translate to fuzzy" to skip the 100% matches.
If you're using Studio, you could simply lock all 100% matches to ignore them.
HTH

[Edited at 2011-07-18 07:46 GMT]

English to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Delete 100 % Matches in Word with Workbench tw4in tags Jul 18, 2011

Thanks for you help so far.
Yes I am using Word together with Workbench. The tip with the pretranslate color option is somewhat helpful, but I do not actually want to color the segments but delete them entirely from the file. These are the segments within the hidden source text, i.e.: 100{>sample hidden text

English to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Delete 100 % Matches in Word using workbench Jul 18, 2011

Thanks for you help so far.
Yes I am using Word together with Workbench. The tip with the pretranslate color option is somewhat helpful, but I do not actually want to color the segments but delete them entirely from the file. These are the segments within the hidden source text, i.e.: 100 {>sample hidden text

bohy  Identity Verified
France
English to French
+ ...
Why would you do that yourself? Jul 18, 2011

In my opinion, you should ask your PM to take care of that.
Reputable agencies pay for 100% matches.
If they don't, ask them to extract and send you only the text to be modified (and to provide the whole file simply as a reference, for context).

Anyhow, make your best efforts to find other agencies or direct customers who agree with YOUR 100% rate, and drop the others as soon as you can. According to my own experience, agencies who pay peanuts for 100% matches have never turned out to be interesting customers in the long term.

[Edited at 2011-07-18 09:59 GMT]

István Hirsch  Identity Verified
English to Hungarian
With a backup Jul 18, 2011

Make everything visible.
In Find/Replace window select "Wildcard" and Find: \{0*\}100\{*\}^13 and Replace with nothing.
Check if you got what you wanted.

[Módosítva: 2011-07-18 11:13 GMT]

[Módosítva: 2011-07-18 11:30 GMT]

English to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Wildcard replacement Jul 18, 2011

Thanks István,
This was of great help and I was looking just for an avice like this one.
Using this method, however, I found out that Search and Replace deletes everything between the asterisk placeholder *, so if there are freshly translated segments or fuzzy segments in between two 100 % matches they will be also deleted. Any idea how to avoid this problem?

Thanks regards

English to Hungarian
I just... Jul 18, 2011

wanted to warn you. Working.

English to Hungarian
This seems better Jul 18, 2011

Try this

Find: \{0\>[A-Za-z 0-9\.,':;-]{1;}\<\}100\{\>[A-Za-z 0-9\.,':;-]{1;}\<0\} Replace with nothing.
For me this works, but if there are other special characters in your text, they should be inserted in the formula at two places (let’s say after the colon) (for example quotation marks etc.) to be recognized as 100%.
If you want to delete from 80-99%, instead of }100{ write }[8-9][0-9]{ or if from 50-99%, write this part as }[5-9][0-9]{
Hope I have not made mistakes.

[Módosítva: 2011-07-18 13:02 GMT]

English to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Works fine! Jul 19, 2011

Thanks a million, István. You are quite a programmer!
This was the formula I was looking for.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Delete 100 % Matches in Word

Advanced search

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search