I need to view each page as such (TagEditor)
Thread poster: Helena Diaz del Real
Helena Diaz del Real
Helena Diaz del Real  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 09:10
German to Spanish
+ ...
In memoriam
Jul 18, 2011

Hello colleagues!

I need to see, while working with TagEditor (Trados 7) when does a page of the source text finishes/beginns. Is that possible?

Now in detail:
I have a quite large project to translate. And, of course I have a very tight deadline. So my way to deliver it on time is, to start the translation by dividing the text into several parts. Each part consists of the workload I can manage in a day (in words/pages).

So, now I have to translate it
... See more
Hello colleagues!

I need to see, while working with TagEditor (Trados 7) when does a page of the source text finishes/beginns. Is that possible?

Now in detail:
I have a quite large project to translate. And, of course I have a very tight deadline. So my way to deliver it on time is, to start the translation by dividing the text into several parts. Each part consists of the workload I can manage in a day (in words/pages).

So, now I have to translate it with TagEditor, which is not a problem.

But, what can I do to see when a page ends and a new one starts? Is this possible with TagEditor?
Well I hope you understand what I mean...

Thank you very much in advance for your thoughts and possible solutions!

Helena
Collapse

Richard Foulkes (X)
Richard Foulkes (X)  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 08:10
German to English
+ ...
Save target as... Jul 18, 2011

Hi Helena,

Can you not just convert the .ttx file back to Word using 'Save target as...'? This should allow you to see the page breaks in the text and monitor your progress.

That's what I do...then I keep a running average of my word count per hour, which I divide into the outstanding word count to show how many hours I have left to go. Since I find that my productivity increases over the course of a long job (because of familiarity with terminology etc.), I find that t
... See more
Hi Helena,

Can you not just convert the .ttx file back to Word using 'Save target as...'? This should allow you to see the page breaks in the text and monitor your progress.

That's what I do...then I keep a running average of my word count per hour, which I divide into the outstanding word count to show how many hours I have left to go. Since I find that my productivity increases over the course of a long job (because of familiarity with terminology etc.), I find that this 'hour count' also goes down increasingly quickly towards the end, which is a nice bonus!

Hope that helps.

Richard
Collapse

Luisa Ramos, CT
Luisa Ramos, CT  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 03:10
English to Spanish
Preview target Jul 18, 2011

No need to do a Save As, as Richard suggests. Why don't you click on the Preview target tab at the bottom of the screen? It displays the document in Word. Then click on the Edit tab to return to the TagEditor view and continue translating.

Helena Diaz del Real
Germany
German to Spanish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
In memoriam
"Unable to locate original file" Jul 18, 2011

Hello Richard and Luisa,
thank you very much for your help!
@ Richard: I'm afraid, I don't know exactly what you mean. As I supose (I may be wrong, however), if I safe the target text, I may not be able to see the original text from which I have to translate...?

@ Luisa: When I do what you say I get a pop-up window saying: "Unable to locate original file". Dann file path and at the end of the window: "Please copy thisn original file into directory above and try again". I
... See more
Hello Richard and Luisa,
thank you very much for your help!
@ Richard: I'm afraid, I don't know exactly what you mean. As I supose (I may be wrong, however), if I safe the target text, I may not be able to see the original text from which I have to translate...?

@ Luisa: When I do what you say I get a pop-up window saying: "Unable to locate original file". Dann file path and at the end of the window: "Please copy thisn original file into directory above and try again". It sounds to me like chinese: I do not understand what it's ment!

Otherwise I get in german something like: "The file is open to be viewed at the extern viewer" - And I ask myself what the hell is the "extern viewer"?

At any case, once more, thank you very much!

Very nice wishes for you both,
Helena

[Edited at 2011-07-18 15:57 GMT]
Collapse

Peter Linton (X)
Peter Linton (X)  Identity Verified
Swedish to English
+ ...
Trouble ahead Jul 18, 2011

Helena Diaz del Real wrote:
I get a pop-up window saying: "Unable to locate original file". Dann file path and at the end of the window: "Please copy thisn original file into directory above and try again". It sounds to me like chinese: I do not understand what it's ment!

Assuming you are translating a TTX text in TagEditor, it means exactly what it says. The original file from which the TTX file was generated must be in the same directory as your TTX. The TTX file needs to have access to the original file in order to Save to Target. You are lucky to have seen this error message now rather than at the final Save.

Otherwise I get in german something like: "The file is open to be viewed at the extern viewer" - And I ask myself what the hell is the "extern viewer"?

At the bottom edge of your TagEditor screen, click on View or Preview.
Another suggestion -- RTFM (read the TagEditor Help information).

Richard Foulkes (X)
Richard Foulkes (X)  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
German to English
+ ...
Another idea... Jul 19, 2011

Hi Helena,

Another idea that just occurred to me to monitor your progress throughout the job if you haven't been able to solve your problem (I can't believe this hasn't occurred to me before!):

If you have set yourself a daily word-count target to break down the text, you can simply analyse the source text at regular intervals using the TM you are using for the job and it will tell you how many 'no match' etc. words you have left. This also removes the need to convert f
... See more
Hi Helena,

Another idea that just occurred to me to monitor your progress throughout the job if you haven't been able to solve your problem (I can't believe this hasn't occurred to me before!):

If you have set yourself a daily word-count target to break down the text, you can simply analyse the source text at regular intervals using the TM you are using for the job and it will tell you how many 'no match' etc. words you have left. This also removes the need to convert files etc.

Regards,

Richard
Collapse

Anna Villegas
Anna Villegas
Mexico
Local time: 01:10
English to Spanish
This might work Jul 19, 2011

Open the original file (Word, Excel, whatever), count the words/pages you want to translate that day and, following the last sentence, add a note as: HASTA AQUÍ, NENA!! which you'll delete afterwards.

This way you'll know where to stop your working day.

Just a sugg.

Helena Diaz del Real
Germany
German to Spanish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
In memoriam
@Richard and Peter Jul 20, 2011

Hello Richard & Peter,

I thank you very much for your suggestions!

I think I will do both things you say: RTFM ;o)) and every day an analysis of the TM.

It already happened to me, that I thought I was translating enough to meet the deadline and just two days before I was shocked by the fact that I was at about the middle of the text! Fortunately the text was not too long, at these time, and I could manage to translate it all in the remaining time.
... See more
Hello Richard & Peter,

I thank you very much for your suggestions!

I think I will do both things you say: RTFM ;o)) and every day an analysis of the TM.

It already happened to me, that I thought I was translating enough to meet the deadline and just two days before I was shocked by the fact that I was at about the middle of the text! Fortunately the text was not too long, at these time, and I could manage to translate it all in the remaining time.

But NOW I definetely cannot just hope to be translating every day the maximum workload and a couple of days before delivering realize that I didn't and it was much to less! We are now talking about a translation of tens of thousands and it would be just imposible to manage it in a couple of days. That's why it is so important...

I thank you very much and I will do as suggested!

Very kind regards,
Helena
PS. Carvallo: I am sorry but what you say does not help me.
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

I need to view each page as such (TagEditor)

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »