Ligia Dias Costa  Identity Verified
Portugal
Local time: 04:56
Member (2008)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
Jul 18, 2011

Hi all,

I am not a Trados user. I am a wordfast pro and classic user. I translated a few files with WF and have the bilingual doc files. Now, the client has asked me for bilingual ttx files. Can someone explain to me how to do this?

I have windows 7.

Thanks a million!

Lígia

Direct link Reply with quote

Adam Łobatiuk  Identity Verified
Poland
Local time: 05:56
Member (2009)
English to Polish
+ ...
You need Trados Jul 18, 2011

I would suggest opening and saving your source Doc files in Tag Editor. Then you can translate the TTX files in Wordfast Pro (reportedly, because I haven't done that myself) using your TM. There will probably be some differences due to segmentation and formatting, but hopefully not a lot.

If you don't have Trados, you can ask someone who does to make TTX files for you (including me). You could probably even use a demo version of SDL Trados 2007 or older if it is still available somewhere.

Ligia Dias Costa  Identity Verified
Portugal
Local time: 04:56
Member (2008)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks! Jul 19, 2011

I have the ttx original files. The thing is that when I open them in WF CLassic, it tells me they should be segmented in Trads in order to be opened in WF.

Any thoughts?

Thanks, again!

Ligia

Nicolas Coyer  Identity Verified
Colombia
Local time: 23:56
Spanish to French
+ ...
from another discussion... Jul 19, 2011

Have you tried this solution?
http://www.proz.com/forum/sdl_trados_support/124721-is_it_possible_to_convert_a_bilingual_doc_into_a_ttx.html

Nicolas

Poland
Member (2009)
English to Polish
+ ...
ttxpress Jul 19, 2011

As far as I remember, TTXexpress is a word macro that requires Trados to be installed. To presegment TTX files, you need to pretranslate them with Trados Workbench. Again, you can ask someone to do that for you.

Jorge Payan  Identity Verified
United States
Member (2002)
German to Spanish
+ ...
More on TTXpress Jul 19, 2011

TTXpress is a free template for Word and it does not need to have TRADOS or WF installed to operate. As long as you already have translated bilingual files (rtf) it will convert them to ttx without any problem. Just write to me privately and I will send TTxpress to you.

You can check the validity of the file produced by TTXpress just by simply opening it in TagEditor; once again, the TRADOS 2007 demo will be enough for this purpose.

It is not necessary to have the fully licensed TRADOS suite for segmenting the files. Any TRADOS demo will do the job.

[Edited at 2011-07-19 23:13 GMT]

Poland
Member (2009)
English to Polish
+ ...
TTXexpress does need Trados Jul 20, 2011

Jorge Payan wrote:

TTXpress is a free template for Word and it does not need to have TRADOS or WF installed to operate. As long as you already have translated bilingual files (rtf) it will convert them to ttx without any problem. Just write to me privately and I will send TTxpress to you.

http://web.archive.org/web/20080619125949/http://www.terminologymatters.com/ttxpress.html

TTXpress is a two-button toolbar that allows you to open TRADOS TagEditor files directly in Word. You can proceed with translation using your CAT tool of choice and then save as bilingual TRADOS TagEditor, as needed. These functions require that TRADOS TagEditor is installed on your PC.

Jorge Payan  Identity Verified
United States
Member (2002)
German to Spanish
+ ...
@Adam: TRADOS is needed for segmenting the file, not for TTXpress to operate Jul 20, 2011

Please correct me if I am wrong, but from your past messages I guess that you have not used TTXpress very often.

Please notice that for the workflow suggested in http://web.archive.org/web/20080619125949/http://www.terminologymatters.com/ttxpress.html, whose step 1 is:

"1. (Open your .txt, .qsc, .isc, .sgm, etc file in TagEditor. Click Save. Close the file.)"

it also reads textually:

"...(step 1 applies if you are creating your own source TTX and not receiving directly in this format),..."

When I started working with CAT tools I did not have TRADOS in my PC. I used WF and TTXpress for processing the ttx files I received from the customer and converting them to rtf. When I finished traslation I converted the rtf files back to ttx, in order to send them back to the customer. At that time I used a XML validator for testing the ttx file, as it is basically a xml file. Today I could basically use Word 2003 and above for the same purpose.

In fact, if you want to create your own ttx (out of a .doc file) and your customer does no mind about the segmentation not coinciding with the TRADOS segmentation, you can enable the "CopySourceWhenNoMatch" macro in WF Pandora Box and then use the "Translate" command to finally produce a rtf file you can process with TTXpress to obtain a ttx file. That effectively places TRADOS aside the workflow once and for all.

Saludos

Poland
Member (2009)
English to Polish
+ ...
@ Jorge Jul 20, 2011

No, I haven't used it much, indeed, because I have used Trados "forever", so I haven't really needed to.

I believe you when you write that you handled TTX files without Trados installed on your computer, but you also write that you received them from your client. Ligia didn't have any TTX files or Trados.

I would be very surprised to see a Word macro that handles TTX conversions without any reference to Trados APIs. I'm not saying it's impossible, but it would be complicated. And, after all, the creators wrote that you do need Tag Editor on your computer.

However, if you say you get by without Trados, then it must be true.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Converting doc files into ttx

Advanced search

BaccS – Business Accounting Software
Modern desktop project management for freelance translators

BaccS makes it easy for translators to manage their projects, schedule tasks, create invoices, and view highly customizable reports. User-friendly, ProZ.com integration, community-driven development – a few reasons BaccS is trusted by translators!

More info »
SDL MultiTerm 2017
Guarantee a unified, consistent and high-quality translation with terminology software by the industry leaders.

SDL MultiTerm 2017 allows translators to create one central location to store and manage multilingual terminology, and with SDL MultiTerm Extract 2017 you can automatically create term lists from your existing documentation to save time.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search