Thread poster: two2tango

two2tango  Identity Verified
Argentina
Local time: 04:21
English to Spanish
+ ...
Jul 18, 2011

Hello everybody,

I keep on getting messages about Normal.dot, I always reply NO when prompted to save this template, but truth be said I do not know how it works. I know it has to do with Trados in some way, but I do not really know. I would like some info on how these templates work. I would appreciate any link, or Internet forums where I might learn something aout this.

Thank you in advance!

BR
Haydée

Direct link Reply with quote

Michael Grant
Japan
Local time: 16:21
Japanese to English
Word's default template Jul 19, 2011

Hi,

Normal.dot is the default template used by Microsoft Word(at least Word versions 2000 and 2003). It is usually located in the Templates folder( in Windows):

C:\Documents and Settings\{username}\Application Data\Microsoft\Templates\Normal.dot

Usually, when Word gives you errors/message about Normal.dot, it means it has been corrupted somehow. And, usually, if you simply delete that file (or rename it to something other than Normal.dot) while Word is CLOSED, then a fresh copy will be automatically re-created by Word when you restart it.

The only reason you see errors referring to Normal.dot when you use TRADOS is because TRADOS uses Word to convert .doc files to .rtf files for translaiton, etc. So the issue is really with Microsoft Word...not TRADOS.

See:
http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/word-help/word-prompts-me-to-save-changes-to-the-normal-dot-template-HA001151452.aspx

for a broad discussion of Normal.dot errors/issues, and here:

http://www.pcdon.com/word-unstable-corrupted-normal-dot.html

for easy to follow instructions about deleting/re-creating Normal.dot to fix corruption issues.

[NOTE*] When in doubt, rename --instead of delete-- the file just to be on the safe side, because the new Normal.dot that Word creates will not include any changes you(or any add-in you may be using in Word) may have made to Normal.dot. So you may see changes in behavior/display after you re-create Normal.dot...

Let us know if you have any further questions abotu this.

MLGrant

two2tango  Identity Verified
Argentina
Local time: 04:21
English to Spanish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Wonderful! Jul 19, 2011

Thank you so much!! I will visit all the links to do away with my ignorance on the matter.

BR

Haydée

Christel Zipfel  Identity Verified
Member (2004)
Italian to German
+ ...
Yes, I regularly backup the normal.dot Jul 19, 2011

Michael Grant wrote:

[NOTE*] When in doubt, rename --instead of delete-- the file just to be on the safe side, because the new Normal.dot that Word creates will not include any changes you(or any add-in you may be using in Word) may have made to Normal.dot. So you may see changes in behavior/display after you re-create Normal.dot...

Let us know if you have any further questions abotu this.

MLGrant

and the whole Startup-Folder by the way. It is in Word/Office. So I am always on the safe side. If I have to reinstall MS Office, I simply copy this folder and I have got all my settings.

OT: What a wonderful name, Haydée! I know an actress with this name, and a dancer, but it is only her surname

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Info about Normal.dot

Advanced search

Déjà Vu X3
Try it, Love it

Find out why Déjà Vu is today the most flexible, customizable and user-friendly tool on the market. See the brand new features in action: *Completely redesigned user interface *Live Preview *Inline spell checking *Inline

More info »
WordFinder
The words you want Anywhere, Anytime

WordFinder is the market's fastest and easiest way of finding the right word, term, translation or synonym in one or more dictionaries. In our assortment you can choose among more than 120 dictionaries in 15 languages from leading publishers.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search