Deactivation without notice
Thread poster: Mathieu Jacquet

Mathieu Jacquet  Identity Verified
France
Local time: 03:47
English to French
Jul 19, 2011

Dear all,

I have been using SDL 2007 freelance since 2007.

I bought it through a group deal on Proz.com.

Last week, when trying to open it, I got a message saying that my product, which was installed and activated on my new PC last year cannot run anymore, not before being activated (???). But activation is impossible, since it is said to be installed on two other PCs, which is not the case.

Now I cannot use it anymore, and cannot call the SDL support neither, since I have not subscribed any support services contract with SDL. I am stuck with a paid product that I cannot use.

Has any of you experienced this kind of problem?

Thank you in anticipation,
Mathieu.

P.S.: I got my gmail account (which includes SDL password/license number, etc. hacked two weeks ago from China, do not know if it is related)

Direct link Reply with quote

Piotr Bienkowski  Identity Verified
Poland
Member (2005)
English to Polish
+ ...
It is very likely that it is related Jul 19, 2011

Mathieu Jacquet wrote:

P.S.: I got my gmail account (which includes SDL password/license number, etc. hacked two weeks ago from China, do not know if it is related)

It is very likely that it is related. Too bad if you used a password in your gmail account which is vulnerable to dictionary attack (i.e. a real word)

Not sure if reporting the data theft to the police will help, but even sure I think you should try. The more so that somebody stole your license key or number and sold it to somebody else.

Are you able to log in into your account at SDL where you can view your license status?

Regards,

Piotr

France
English to French
TOPIC STARTER
Maybe a LAN problem Jul 19, 2011

Another clue: I brought my laptop back to my office last week.

This morning, I deactivated Trados on the laptop to activate it on my PC, and got another message stating that only one license seat can be freed per LAN.

I usually use my laptop when travelling or at home, and my PC at my office, so on different networks. Now both are in my office, so on the same LAN.

This might explain the problem. I'll try reactivating my laptop license when out of my office, to see if it works. And keep you posted.

Mathieu

Piotr Bienkowski  Identity Verified
Poland
Member (2005)
English to Polish
+ ...
Use wireless for laptop Jul 20, 2011

Mathieu Jacquet wrote:

Another clue: I brought my laptop back to my office last week.

This morning, I deactivated Trados on the laptop to activate it on my PC, and got another message stating that only one license seat can be freed per LAN.

I usually use my laptop when travelling or at home, and my PC at my office, so on different networks. Now both are in my office, so on the same LAN.

This might explain the problem. I'll try reactivating my laptop license when out of my office, to see if it works. And keep you posted.

Mathieu

Maybe you could use your wireless Internet connection instead of the LAN for the laptop and if you need to transfer files, use a bluetooth link.

Just an idea.

Piotr

France
English to French
TOPIC STARTER
Was not LAN problem Jul 30, 2011

I tried to reactivate from a different network and got the same error message...

No SDL support staff around to explain that?

That would be much appreciated,
Mathieu.

France
English to French
TOPIC STARTER
License status Jul 30, 2011

Piotr Bienkowski wrote:

Are you able to log in into your account at SDL where you can view your license status

Yes, it says I have one license in use, none available and 2 extra activations, none available.

In reality, I have only one activated. Do you know how I can remotely deactivate all of them?

Thank you,
Mathieu

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Deactivation without notice

Advanced search

PerfectIt consistency checker
Faster Checking, Greater Accuracy

PerfectIt helps deliver error-free documents. It improves consistency, ensures quality and helps to enforce style guides. It’s a powerful tool for pro users, and comes with the assurance of a 30-day money back guarantee.

More info »
SDL MultiTerm 2017
Guarantee a unified, consistent and high-quality translation with terminology software by the industry leaders.

SDL MultiTerm 2017 allows translators to create one central location to store and manage multilingual terminology, and with SDL MultiTerm Extract 2017 you can automatically create term lists from your existing documentation to save time.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search