Jaroslaw Michalak  Identity Verified
Poland
Local time: 04:08
Member (2004)
English to Polish
SITE LOCALIZER
Not sure... Jul 20, 2011

[quote]Selcuk Akyuz wrote:

It could be easier if SDL included xliff support in Trados 2007, after all it is just a filter.

[quote]

Actually, Trados 2007 does support xliff. I am not sure how well it works with sdlxliff files.

Selcuk Akyuz
Selcuk Akyuz  Identity Verified
Türkiye
Local time: 05:08
English to Turkish
+ ...
Trados 2007 xliff filter Jul 20, 2011

Jabberwock wrote:

Selcuk Akyuz wrote:

It could be easier if SDL included xliff support in Trados 2007, after all it is just a filter.

Actually, Trados 2007 does support xliff. I am not sure how well it works with sdlxliff files.

Xliff filter works only if all source segments are copied into target, so not helpful for pretranslated files with exact or fuzzy matches.

Jaroslaw Michalak
Jaroslaw Michalak  Identity Verified
Poland
Member (2004)
English to Polish
SITE LOCALIZER
Oh, yes Jul 20, 2011

Selcuk Akyuz wrote:
Xliff filter works only if all source segments are copied into target, so not helpful for pretranslated files with exact or fuzzy matches.

Oh, I happily forgot about that... It was still implemented in the days when Trados had its own peculiar way of doing things!

Olav Karlsen
Olav Karlsen
Norway
English to Norwegian
+ ...
"Indesign", not "InDesign"! Jul 20, 2011

Hello!
I had a heck of a problem trying to edit 2 TTX files converted from InDesign in Trados 2007. I didn't want to waste time trying to find a suitable patch at the SDL website, so I opened them in T 2009 and completed my translation. By going through the Help file in Trados 2009 I found I could save the target files in the original format, but of course the original compatibility problem persisted. So I had to search for a solution. SDL advised me to open the files in Notpad, search for
... See more
Hello!
I had a heck of a problem trying to edit 2 TTX files converted from InDesign in Trados 2007. I didn't want to waste time trying to find a suitable patch at the SDL website, so I opened them in T 2009 and completed my translation. By going through the Help file in Trados 2009 I found I could save the target files in the original format, but of course the original compatibility problem persisted. So I had to search for a solution. SDL advised me to open the files in Notpad, search for a settings line in them with the word "InDesign", change it to "Indesign", and save the files again. And presto! No compatibility problems any more!
I ask myself: Did SDL know about this stupid problem for 2 years and did nothing to solve it? And concerning file formats: Microsoft Word or Excel, for example, is able to give the user the option of saving a Word/Excel file in the original format with no fuss or in a newer format if complete functionality with the newer editor is needed. Of course our clients want their files back in the original format, so: Why does SDL make it so hard to do so?
Collapse

Tomás Cano Binder, BA, CT
Tomás Cano Binder, BA, CT  Identity Verified
Spain
Member (2005)
English to Spanish
+ ...
I have one! Jul 20, 2011

Selcuk Akyuz wrote:
I don't have any clients using Studio (do you have any?), some of them still use Trados 2007 and some others abandoned Trados completely and use MemoQ, DVX or XTM Cloud (yes, I have already three clients using XTM Cloud).

Among the 20 agencies I work regularly for, only 1 (and it is a mid-sized one, not a larger one) actually uses Studio. I use memoQ for their files.

The rest are using Trados 2007 or have switched to some other solution (memoQ and Across). So after two years of Studio, the situation is still not looking too bright for Studio in the agencies. I wonder why?

(Edited to correct the name of the solution chosen by one of the customers.)

[Edited at 2011-07-20 20:00 GMT]

Selcuk Akyuz
Selcuk Akyuz  Identity Verified
Türkiye
Local time: 05:08
English to Turkish
+ ...
training costs Jul 20, 2011

Tomás Cano Binder, CT wrote:

Among the 20 agencies I work regularly for, only 1 (and it is a mid-sized one, not a larger one) actually uses Studio. I use memoQ for their files.

As expected, small and some medium-sized agencies; I don't know of any large agency using Studio.

So after two years of Studio, the situation is still not looking too bright for Studio in the agencies. I wonder why?

Buying several professional licenses (or Team Server) is a cost, but they have to train several project managers as well. Training = Time = Money

Sooner or later MemoQ will become the market leader (although it is not my preferred CAT as well). Project management in MemoQ is really excellent, and their support is amazing. They only need to hire Paul who undoubtedly boosted Studio sales.

------------
The only good part of the Studio package is Passolo, which was created by Pass Engineering and some parts written by (guess who) Kilgray - developers of MemoQ.

[Edited at 2011-07-20 20:23 GMT]

Paul Stevens
Paul Stevens  Identity Verified
Local time: 03:08
Member (2003)
Spanish to English
+ ...
Studio Jul 21, 2011

Selcuk Akyuz wrote:

Paul Stevens wrote:

As for your solution, it totally ignores the fact, as already pointed out in this thread, that if anyone bought Trados 2009, he/she got 2007 for free and so the purchaser could use either for jobs.

Starter edition does not include Trados 2007.

Thanks for that. However, with due respect, neither of our earlier posts were referring to the Starter edition.

Selcuk Akyuz wrote:

In answer to your question in the second paragraph, I have a few clients who use Studio, so I don't think that you can simply say that "Agencies still use Trados 2007" since my experience is that some have moved on to Studio.

Only a few clients? Thanks for supporting my assumption.

I wasn't suggesting that there is widespread use of Studio - far from it! However, your earlier post gave the impression that NO agency was using it from your comment that "translators who use Studio 2009 spend their time with converting files". Hence my comment which clearly disproves that!

I hope that this clarifies.

Pages in topic:   < [1 2]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

SXLIFF to TTX

Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »