Pages in topic:   [1 2] >
SXLIFF to TTX
Thread poster: Stéphanie Denton
Stéphanie Denton  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 16:51
French to English
+ ...
Jul 19, 2011

Hello

I completed a translation for a client today using Trados Studio 2009. I have sent the file, saved as an XLIFF, they have got back to me, saying that their editor cannot open the file in Trados 2007. I need to convert it, as I can't re-save in a different format. Any tips?

Thanks

Stéphanie Denton


Direct link Reply with quote
 

Natalya Zelikova  Identity Verified
Ukraine
Local time: 18:51
Member (2003)
English to Russian
+ ...
Save target Jul 19, 2011

Hi Stéphanie,

You can open the same document and do the following: Save target as - TRADOStag Document.


Direct link Reply with quote
 
Stéphanie Denton  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 16:51
French to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Save as options Jul 19, 2011

Studio 2009 will only let me save as an XLIFF and the save target option only lets me save in the original source documen format, which in this case is a .doc...

Direct link Reply with quote
 

Natalya Zelikova  Identity Verified
Ukraine
Local time: 18:51
Member (2003)
English to Russian
+ ...
... Jul 19, 2011

My Studio shows two options for Save Target AS: TRADOStag Document and Original File Format...

Try to check exactly "Save Traget as", not "Save as".


Direct link Reply with quote
 

Natalie  Identity Verified
Poland
Local time: 17:51
Member (2002)
English to Russian
+ ...

Moderator of this forum
--- Jul 19, 2011

Stéphanie Denton wrote:
I have sent the file, saved as an XLIFF, they have got back to me, saying that their editor cannot open the file in Trados 2007. I need to convert it, as I can't re-save in a different format. Any tips?


Tip #1 The final format of the translated file should be agreed with the client beforehand. Ask the client, if they prefer a TTX or a bilingual DOC.

Tip #2 Trados 2007 is unable to open any XLIFF file. Create a separate TM for the translated project and populate it from the ready translation. Export to TMX.

Tip #3 If the client needs a TTX, create a TTX, translate it in Studio using the existing TM, save translation as TTX and deliver to the client.
It the client needs a bilingual DOC, retranslate it in Trados 2007 using the exported TMX.

To avoid this unnecessary hassle in the future, see Tip #1.


Direct link Reply with quote
 
Stéphanie Denton  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 16:51
French to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Tips Jul 19, 2011

Natalie wrote:

Stéphanie Denton wrote:
I have sent the file, saved as an XLIFF, they have got back to me, saying that their editor cannot open the file in Trados 2007. I need to convert it, as I can't re-save in a different format. Any tips?


Tip #1 The final format of the translated file should be agreed with the client beforehand. Ask the client, if they prefer a TTX or a bilingual DOC.

Tip #2 Trados 2007 is unable to open any XLIFF file. Create a separate TM for the translated project and populate it from the ready translation. Export to TMX.

Tip #3 If the client needs a TTX, create a TTX, translate it in Studio using the existing TM, save translation as TTX and deliver to the client.
It the client needs a bilingual DOC, retranslate it in Trados 2007 using the exported TMX.

To avoid this unnecessary hassle in the future, see Tip #1.


Tip #1: Client knew I use Studio 2009, she thought editor used same Trados as I do.

Tip # 2: OK.

Tip # 3: I don't have 2007...

As for previous post, I have definitely tried saving target as, they only available option is a .doc...


Direct link Reply with quote
 

Natalie  Identity Verified
Poland
Local time: 17:51
Member (2002)
English to Russian
+ ...

Moderator of this forum
--- Jul 19, 2011

Stéphanie Denton wrote:

Tip #1: Client knew I use Studio 2009, she thought editor used same Trados as I do.


Then this is a general misunderstanding between you, your client and the editor. The client shouldn't "think", they should specify what they need.


Tip # 3: I don't have 2007...


In this case you will be unable to complete the accepted job unless you would find somebody who would produce for you a TTX file that you could re-translate in Sudio using your TM. However, before doing anything, contact you client and clarify with them which format would they need.


Direct link Reply with quote
 

Natalya Zelikova  Identity Verified
Ukraine
Local time: 18:51
Member (2003)
English to Russian
+ ...
I see Jul 19, 2011

Stéphanie Denton wrote:
As for previous post, I have definitely tried saving target as, they only available option is a .doc...


I thought your source file was ttx...
So if it is doc, I would ask the client for source ttx to re-translate with already existing TM.


Direct link Reply with quote
 

Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Local time: 17:51
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
2007 Jul 19, 2011

Stéphanie Denton wrote:
Tip # 3: I don't have 2007...


I thought everyone who bought 2009 could get 2007 for free.


Direct link Reply with quote
 
Stéphanie Denton  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 16:51
French to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
2007 for free Jul 19, 2011

You do get it for free when you purchase 2009, but my computer was being slow and I needed more space. My own fault...I didn't think I'd use it.

Direct link Reply with quote
 

Natalie  Identity Verified
Poland
Local time: 17:51
Member (2002)
English to Russian
+ ...

Moderator of this forum
Slow computer Jul 19, 2011

hardly has anything to do with Trados; perhaps you mean you had not enough room at your hard disk.

You could consider moving unnecessary stuff from your HD to CD-ROMs or DVDs, download FR2007 and install it if you anticipate having more similar work.


Direct link Reply with quote
 
MikeTrans
Germany
Local time: 17:51
Member (2005)
Italian to German
+ ...
You can still download it from your DL account Jul 19, 2011

Samuel Murray wrote:

Stéphanie Denton wrote:
Tip # 3: I don't have 2007...


I thought everyone who bought 2009 could get 2007 for free.


Hi Stéphanie,

Samuel is right here: Owning Studio 2009 will also allow you to download the "Trados 2007 Suite SP3" from your download account. Please check this.
If you don't see it in your account, then get in touch with SDL.

The 2007 Suite has considerably *less* memory/processor requirements than Studio (which is quite invasive), so there will be no problem at all.
Also, you will need this Suite if you ever want to align documents with WinAlign (You can use the Custom Install to install only what you need).

Bye,
Mike

[Edited at 2011-07-19 21:20 GMT]


Direct link Reply with quote
 

Selcuk Akyuz  Identity Verified
Turkey
Local time: 18:51
Member (2006)
English to Turkish
+ ...
Translate faster, deliver slower Jul 20, 2011

There is really a problem with the diversity of SDL products. After reading so many similar posts on this subject I think the answer is clear. Agencies still use Trados 2007 (or switched to other CAT programs), and translators who use Studio 2009 spend their time with converting files.

I don't have any clients using Studio (do you have any?), some of them still use Trados 2007 and some others abandoned Trados completely and use MemoQ, DVX or XTM Cloud (yes, I have already three clients using XTM Cloud).

Same problem with Wordfast... Agency uses WF Classic and translator prefers (or only knows) WF Pro. Result? How can I convert txml to bilingual word file!!

You can translate faster with Studio (as stated at sdl.com) but all these conversions are waste of time. Solution? Never buy a software that is not preferred by your clients.


Direct link Reply with quote
 
Paul Stevens  Identity Verified
Local time: 16:51
Member (2003)
Spanish to English
+ ...
Diversity of SDL products Jul 20, 2011

Selcuk Akyuz wrote:

There is really a problem with the diversity of SDL products. After reading so many similar posts on this subject I think the answer is clear. Agencies still use Trados 2007 (or switched to other CAT programs), and translators who use Studio 2009 spend their time with converting files.

I don't have any clients using Studio (do you have any?), some of them still use Trados 2007 and some others abandoned Trados completely and use MemoQ, DVX or XTM Cloud (yes, I have already three clients using XTM Cloud).

Same problem with Wordfast... Agency uses WF Classic and translator prefers (or only knows) WF Pro. Result? How can I convert txml to bilingual word file!!

You can translate faster with Studio (as stated at sdl.com) but all these conversions are waste of time. Solution? Never buy a software that is not preferred by your clients.

In answer to your question in the second paragraph, I have a few clients who use Studio, so I don't think that you can simply say that "Agencies still use Trados 2007" since my experience is that some have moved on to Studio.

As for your solution, it totally ignores the fact, as already pointed out in this thread, that if anyone bought Trados 2009, he/she got 2007 for free and so the purchaser could use either for jobs.

[Edited at 2011-07-20 07:16 GMT]

[Edited at 2011-07-20 09:11 GMT]


Direct link Reply with quote
 

Selcuk Akyuz  Identity Verified
Turkey
Local time: 18:51
Member (2006)
English to Turkish
+ ...
2007 not included in all packages Jul 20, 2011

Paul Stevens wrote:

As for your solution, it totally ignores the fact, as already pointed out in this thread, that if anyone bought Trados 2009, he/she got 2007 for free and so the purchaser could use either for jobs.


Starter edition does not include Trados 2007. Even if you have FL version, you have to read several user manuals, keep two parallel TMs (one for Studio and one for 2007) or convert your files in each project. Moreover match algorithms are different in 2007 and 2009. It could be easier if SDL included xliff support in Trados 2007, after all it is just a filter.


In answer to your question in the second paragraph, I have a few clients who use Studio, so I don't think that you can simply say that "Agencies still use Trados 2007" since my experience is that some have moved on to Studio.


Only a few clients? Thanks for supporting my assumption.


Direct link Reply with quote
 
Pages in topic:   [1 2] >


To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:


You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

SXLIFF to TTX

Advanced search







memoQ translator pro
Kilgray's memoQ is the world's fastest developing integrated localization & translation environment rendering you more productive and efficient.

With our advanced file filters, unlimited language and advanced file support, memoQ translator pro has been designed for translators and reviewers who work on their own, with other translators or in team-based translation projects.

More info »
PDF Translation - the Easy Way
TransPDF converts your PDFs to XLIFF ready for professional translation.

TransPDF converts your PDFs to XLIFF ready for professional translation. It also puts your translations back into the PDF to make new PDFs. Quicker and more accurate than hand-editing PDF. Includes free use of Infix PDF Editor with your translated PDFs.

More info »



Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search