Thread poster: Chris Dawe

Chris Dawe  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 23:51
Portuguese to English
+ ...
Jul 21, 2011

Folks

Today I finished a job (or THOUGHT I had finshed it) which was a short contract translation. I cleaned the file through Workbench but when I was proofing that, to my horror I subsequently discovered a receipt at the bottom (after the signatures) which also had to be translated. I went back to the BAK file and translated that last segment I had missed.

Then it struck me I would not be able to reclean the BAK file in Workbench. I couldn't. So I used the Macro function clean-up on it. But that removed all the tags and Source text from the BAK though, and the client may well want the BAK with all the Source segments still in it. Does anyone know how I ought to have properly handled this matter? Cheers,

Chris

Direct link Reply with quote

Marinus Vesseur  Identity Verified
Canada
Local time: 15:51
English to Dutch
+ ...
Bak file cleanup in Trados Jul 21, 2011

Hi Chris

you should have been able to simply clean the BAK file again, even after making changes to it. It's just the original file with another suffix, really. Now that you've applied the macro to it all you can do is take the original, untranslated file and pretranslate with Workbench, then cleanup again.

This may not have been your fault. Trados Workbench is known for messing up the cleaning of formatted Word files. Sometimes it helps to first store your file in RTF, then do all translating and cleaning and store the end result as a doc manually.

HTH

- Rien

Jānis Greivuls
Latvia
Local time: 01:51
English to Latvian
+ ...
My approach Jul 21, 2011

Save the .BAK file as a word document and clean up!

It seems WB hates .BAK extension.

Good luck!
J.

[Edited for missing article]

[Rediģēts plkst. 2011-07-21 17:58 GMT]

United Kingdom
Portuguese to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
10/10 Jul 21, 2011

Thanks very much Jānis, how stupid of me. Yes, that would certainly have been the logical thing to do.....just goes to show the value of lateral thinking! Cheers, Chris.

United Kingdom
Portuguese to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
RTF Jul 22, 2011

Thanks very much Marinus, I'll slot that one up my sleeve as well. Cheers, Chris.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Word document clean-up and BAK files

Advanced search

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use SDL Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search