What happens when ticking "Update" in the "Translation Memory and Automated Translation" window?
Thread poster: Richard Hill

Richard Hill  Identity Verified
Mexico
Local time: 06:51
Member (2011)
Spanish to English
Jul 22, 2011

Hi
Could someone please tell this newbie exactly what “Update” does when ticked in the “Translation Memory and Automated Translation” window. I see in the corresponding Help window: “When this option is selected, the translation memory will be updated with the translated content from the document” but I’m not too sure what this means. My doubt is this: If I get say a 90% match, I wonder whether, if the “Update” box is ticked, do I OVERWRITE the pre-existing TU in the TM when confirm by hitting Ctrl + Enter, because I would not of course want to overwrite the preexisting TM but rather keep the preexisting TU and store the newly confirmed TU?

Thanks

rich

Direct link Reply with quote

Michael Grant
Japan
Local time: 20:51
Japanese to English
You can choose... Jul 22, 2011

Hi Rich,

I assume you are using SDL TRADOS STUDIO 2009, correct? If so, see this article:

http://producthelp.sdl.com/SDL%20Trados%20Studio/client_en/Edit_View/TMs/EVTranslationMemoryActionsUpdate_the_TMwith_New_Translations.htm

In a nutshell, you can go to Tools > Options > Language Pairs
then choose either All Language Pairs or a specific language pair,
then select Batch Processing, and under that Translation Memory Updates...

You can choose to always add all translations from your document as new translation units, instead of updating existing translation units, by selecting the Always add new translation to the translation memory checkbox.

MGrant

[Edited at 2011-07-22 01:53 GMT]

Mexico
Member (2011)
Spanish to English
TOPIC STARTER
thanks a lot for your reply Michael Jul 22, 2011

Yes I'm using Trados 2009.
I read the article. thanks for that. I think I understand, I'm just struggling a bit getting my head around all the settings. Just to clarify, if I have the "Always add new translation to the translation memory" UNchecked, but under "Segment status", I have "Translated", "Translation Approved" and "Signed Off" all checked, would this mean that hitting ctrl + enter would overwrite a translation suggested at say 80% rather than keeping the 80% translation and the translation I approve by hitting ctrl + enter? Please excuse my confusion. What I'm trying to avoid is overwriting an 80% translation that is a good translation but just not right in the project I¡m working on. I hope my doubt isn't too confusing. It is to me.
thanks again.

rich

SDL Community  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 12:51
English
TM Update Jul 22, 2011

rich. wrote:

Yes I'm using Trados 2009.
I read the article. thanks for that. I think I understand, I'm just struggling a bit getting my head around all the settings. Just to clarify, if I have the "Always add new translation to the translation memory" UNchecked, but under "Segment status", I have "Translated", "Translation Approved" and "Signed Off" all checked, would this mean that hitting ctrl + enter would overwrite a translation suggested at say 80% rather than keeping the 80% translation and the translation I approve by hitting ctrl + enter? Please excuse my confusion. What I'm trying to avoid is overwriting an 80% translation that is a good translation but just not right in the project I¡m working on. I hope my doubt isn't too confusing. It is to me.
thanks again.

rich

Hi Rich,

I think you are confusing two things here. The settings you refer to are for batch tasks. This means that if you finish your work and run a batch task to update your translation memories then whatever settings you have used will apply to the translation memory. The reason we have these options is because if you use a Project TM then you could update your Main TM this way once you are happy with the final product, or if you receive return packages in a project you are managing then you can update your TMs with the contents of the work you have not translated (one reason why Project TMs are useful) by running this batch task.

When you are translating, using the default ctrl+enter will always overwrite the match that was presented because it will be a duplicate, but you will not lose the translation unit for which the 80% came from. If you want to add a duplicate translation, ie you get a 100% match but want to add a different tranlsation to your TM for this then you use Add as new translation instead. Then you will have two translations for the same source in your TM.

I feel as though will probably sound very confusing (I'm confused when I read it back) so lets consider this example.

I have in my source "This is a test." which I translate as "This is a test." The next time I come across "This is a test." in my source I get a 100% match from my TM.:

And I only have one TU result in my TM:

If I change this second segment to something else without adding it as a new translation I will overwrite the TM entry I just added when I first translated it. Depending on my settings in Tools - Options - Editor - Auto-propagation the first segment will now show as having a different target in the translation memory, or it will have changed to reflect how I translated the second segment.

If instead I used Add as new translation when I changed the second segment then I would now see this:

Note the multiple translations penalty that reduces the match to 99% for each one. You can change the value for this too in here:

I hope this is clear so far and you can maybe create your own examples to play around with the settings a little and just see what happens?

Regards

Paul

Mexico
Member (2011)
Spanish to English
TOPIC STARTER
Just a quick not of thanks... Jul 22, 2011

Perfectly explained as always. I will be doing as you suggest and playing around with the settings and seeing the different results they throw up.

Have a great weekend Paul.

rich

Nora Diaz  Identity Verified
Mexico
Local time: 04:51
Member (2002)
English to Spanish
+ ...
Update TM does not overwrite existing TUs Jul 24, 2011

Hi Rich,

As I understand it, your original question is not about allowing multiple translations for the same source text, but about whether you will lose the TUs that gave you a fuzzy match when you confirm the new TU.

The short answer to this is no, you won't.

What "Update TM" does is that it saves your new source+target TU to the TM, thus making sure that the TM contains all the new text you translate. Unchecking this box would result in your new translations not being added to the TM, and so your TM would not grow as you work.

But adding new TUs to the TM does not replace the fuzzy matches that are offered to you. When you edit a fuzzy and then confirm the new translation you're simply creating a new TU, not replacing the fuzzy match.

If what you want to do is allowing multiple translations for the same source text, then you need to do what Paul has explained.

An example of when this might come in handy, using Paul's example is if you wanted to use two different translations for "test" in Spanish.

TU1 This is a test Esta es una prueba
TU2 This is a test Este es un examen

So, to summarize:

"Update TM" is to save your new translations to the TM, not replacing old TUs, just growing your TM as you work (I always keep this setting checked for my main TM)

"Always add new translation to the translation memory" is to allow multiple different translations for the same source text (for the most part I keep this setting unchecked)

All the best,

Nora

Mexico
Member (2011)
Spanish to English
TOPIC STARTER
yes.. Jul 26, 2011

Nora Diaz wrote:

As I understand it, your original question is not about allowing multiple translations for the same source text, but about whether you will lose the TUs that gave you a fuzzy match when you confirm the new TU.

Hi Nora.

Yes, I was worried that every time I confirmed a translation, because of my settings, I was wiping the suggested translation from the memory. Anyway, I'm glad to see that isn't the case. thanks Nora.

rich

[Edited at 2011-07-26 05:12 GMT]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

What happens when ticking "Update" in the "Translation Memory and Automated Translation" window?

Advanced search

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
WordFinder
The words you want Anywhere, Anytime

WordFinder is the market's fastest and easiest way of finding the right word, term, translation or synonym in one or more dictionaries. In our assortment you can choose among more than 120 dictionaries in 15 languages from leading publishers.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search