Getting my data from a CORRUPT TRADOS TM?
Thread poster: vollebregt

vollebregt  Identity Verified
Australia
Local time: 03:00
Member (2006)
Dutch to English
Jul 22, 2011

I cannot use my main TM, it has stopped working. Desperate to recover all the data in there, I've tried everything - but I cannot reorganise or export. I have tried the SDL tip where you recreate the TM indexes, but it makes no difference.

The TM contains all my data

I use Trados 2007 version 8.0

I have two backups of the TM, one a month old and one 6 months old. Unfortunately both of these also will not let me reorganise or export and seem to contain the same corruption. I do not understand how this could have happened.

Any help appreciated!

Direct link Reply with quote

Michael Grant
Japan
Local time: 01:00
Japanese to English
Stopped working, no actual error? Jul 22, 2011

Hi Marieke,

Just for clarification, did you get the actual error:

Database corrupt! Run export, create a new Translation Memory, and reimport???

Or was it some other error/erroneous behavior?

I only ask because sometimes things are not what they seem with TRADOS errors...

MGrant

[Edit] I forgot to mention, I found this Web site advertising corrupt TMW repair...I do not know anything about them, but you might check it out if you really hit a brick wall:

http://www.corrupteddatarecovery.com/Repair/TRADOS-Translators-Workbench-File-Repair-TMW-Data-Conversion.asp

[Edited at 2011-07-22 06:07 GMT]

Tomás Cano Binder, BA, CT  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 17:00
Member (2005)
English to Spanish
+ ...
A possible solution? Jul 22, 2011

I'd try an old solution I just found, described by Dorothee here:
http://esl.proz.com/forum/sdl_trados_support/8687-help_my_trados_tm_won\t_open.html

Richard Foulkes  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 16:00
German to English
+ ...
Here's what I did... Jul 22, 2011

Hi Marieke,

I think I've had the same thing happened to me with my main TM and I believe the problem was caused by certain segments becoming corrupt. I found that by deleting the corrupt segements the TM was fine again so there is hope!

- Create a few back-up copies of your TM (obvious, I know).
- Open the TM as a .txt and scroll through it until you see something unusual. In my case, this was a string such as 'cs6\' being repeated over several lines in the corrupt segements, which should stand even if you scroll through quickly using 'page down'. (Clearly this may still take a while if your TM is a several 100K of segments as mine was...)
- Obviously, you can then just do a 'find' for the offending string and delete any affected segments.
- Cross your fingers and see if your TM works again.

HTH

Richard

[Edited at 2011-07-22 10:15 GMT]

Australia
Member (2006)
Dutch to English
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks for the ideas Jul 22, 2011

The problem I encountered with the TM was that I was getting curly brackets {} on performing "set/close open/get" on segments (with the workbench saying it was still processing, but in fact it was completely stuck). At first I could get around it by closing the workbench and opening it up again, or undo-ing all my actions and skipping the sentence. Until at one point I could not get around it anymore and everything I did with that TM gave me curly brackets and stopped the workbench working. It just wouldn't work anymore.

That is when I read that you need to reorganise your TM if it is having trouble, and discovered I cannot reorganise, nor export (error 50052).

I have since tried everything under the sun with no result (including the solution suggested by Tomas - thanks).

Thank you Michael, has anyone tried the website advertising corrupt TMW repair?

I'm very interested in your idea Richard, you might be right that the cause is one or more segments in the TM being corrupt. How do I open the TM as a .txt? Hopefully not through an export, as I cannot export...

Selcuk Akyuz  Identity Verified
Turkey
Local time: 19:00
Member (2006)
English to Turkish
+ ...
Best solution Jul 22, 2011

Hi Marieke,

You may create a new TM with the same settings and copy the tmw file in that TM. Trados will try to repair the index files. But possibly it will not work. IMO, the best solution is sending your TM to SDL Support.

And in the future do not forget to backup your TM in TMX format.

SDL Community  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
English
Backing up TMs Jul 22, 2011

Hi Marieke,

There is a useful post here:

http://www.proz.com/forum/sdl_trados_support/176533-backing_up_translation_memories.html

In the meantime, if you can't fix it yourself following all the good ideas people are posting then drop me an email and I'll send you details of an ftp you can place it on (unless it's small enough to email). I can't guarantee we will be able to recover it, but sometimes we can.

Regards

Paul
pfilkin@sdl.com

Australia
Member (2006)
Dutch to English
TOPIC STARTER
No support contract with SDL, so they won't help :-( Jul 22, 2011

I tried that Selcuk, but it doesn't work.

I have several backups of the TM, although not as TMX format (good tip for future, thanks!). I can't understand why the older backups have the same issue where I cannot reorganise or export.

I spoke to SDL, but I do not have a support contract and they won't help me

Spain
Member (2005)
English to Spanish
+ ...
Do you keep uncleaned files? Jul 22, 2011

I am wondering whether you keep uncleaned copies of your completed jobs. If you do, even if it could sound overwhelming, you might want to create a new memory and do a cleanup of all your files to feed it.

And if you have one single memory in Trados (or any other tool) which contains everything, indeed it makes sense to export it to TMX format every now and then, and even export it and create a new memory for it once a year just to avoid corruptions. I know this does not help now, but they are good practices that could help you from today.

United Kingdom
English
Looks like we posted at the same time ;-) Jul 22, 2011

Marieke Vollebregt wrote:

I spoke to SDL, but I do not have a support contract and they won't help me

See... http://www.proz.com/forum/sdl_trados_support/203818-getting_my_data_from_a_corrupt_trados_tm.html#1776043

Richard Foulkes  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 16:00
German to English
+ ...
A flaw in my plan... Jul 22, 2011

I'm very interested in your idea Richard, you might be right that the cause is one or more segments in the TM being corrupt. How do I open the TM as a .txt? Hopefully not through an export, as I cannot export...

Yes, I'm sorry Marieke, I suppose that idea will only work with your last working back-up (as a .txt) unless anyone there's any other way to get a .txt without exporting.

I think from memory I had to do this and then re-align / import any subsequent work that was really important, but it doesn't sound like any of your back-ups are in .txt format. Sorry I couldn't be of more help!

Spain
Member (2005)
English to Spanish
+ ...
See? Jul 22, 2011

SDL Support wrote:
In the meantime, if you can't fix it yourself following all the good ideas people are posting then drop me an email and I'll send you details of an ftp you can place it on (unless it's small enough to email). I can't guarantee we will be able to recover it, but sometimes we can.

Am I the only one feeling like Meg Ryan in the very last scene of "When Harry met Sally"? I mean, Paul you do these things to help and clarify that make it harder for us translators to hate SDL Studio.

United Kingdom
English
You're not the only one... Jul 22, 2011

... when I look at the number of unanswered posts I sometimes think I'm the only one who can see them

Regards

Paul

Australia
Member (2006)
Dutch to English
TOPIC STARTER
Problem solved - thank you Paul & SDL! Jul 27, 2011

Paul was kind enough to get someone at SDL to take a look at my TM and fix it!

It is working again like a charm

So the moral here - always include an export of the txt file when backing up a TM, don't just backup the TM files...
Previously, I was backing up the TM files only, not realising that my old backups of the TM already contained the problem (I didn't notice because the workbench happily functioned for another 6 months before it froze up) and without a txt file export of the TM I was unable to recover my TM.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Getting my data from a CORRUPT TRADOS TM?

Advanced search

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use SDL Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

More info »
Déjà Vu X3
Try it, Love it

Find out why Déjà Vu is today the most flexible, customizable and user-friendly tool on the market. See the brand new features in action: *Completely redesigned user interface *Live Preview *Inline spell checking *Inline

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search