Pages in topic:   [1 2] >
2011 features
Thread poster: Tapsa
Tapsa
Local time: 01:29
English to Finnish
Jul 22, 2011

I remember Paul or someone else mentioning, that there might be an automatic concordance search feature in 2011 edition. Is there?

For me, it is the among the top most wanted features from the old Trados system.

[Edited at 2011-07-22 15:57 GMT]

Direct link Reply with quote

Tapsa
English to Finnish
TOPIC STARTER
other missed features Jul 25, 2011

Is it finally possible to merge source segments that have those forced breaks or whatever you call them?

This is a very big issue at least for me, as it slows down the translation progress in already busy environment (not to mention those strange translation units it may create) - for example in one of my current projects it slows me down about 10 percent (in a rather big project, in smaller ones it may be much more - in this particulary case, it means tens of hours).

In my experience those forced breaks have been used just because of the layout designer (or whoever) has inserted them to make the layout in the source language version.

If this hasn't been fixed, please tell me why.

[Edited at 2011-07-25 12:46 GMT]

[Edited at 2011-07-25 12:59 GMT]

Eileen Cartoon  Identity Verified
Local time: 00:29
Italian to English
This may sound stupid Jul 25, 2011

I, too, hate those breaks. Seems not only are they because of designer layouts but, for me, most are the result of conversions from pdfs.

When I encounter them, I type the entire sentence on the first line of the text and enter xxx in each of the following segments. when I do the final rereat in Word I first do a search for xxx and eliminate them and pulling up the empty lines. This way it doesn't slow me down much. If it is a repeat customer, I then go back into the TM and eliminate the segments with xxx.

It really speeds things up but I am sure it is not the "right" way to do things.

Eileen

Michael Joseph Wdowiak Beijer  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 23:29
Member (2009)
Dutch to English
+ ...
memoQ Jul 25, 2011

(in memoQ you just join the source segments)

toad
English to Swedish
+ ...
olipa fiksu vastaus Jul 25, 2011

Michael J.W. Beijer wrote:

Hey, thanks for sharing, man!

T.

Jerzy Czopik  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2003)
Polish to German
+ ...
Wishful thinking Jul 25, 2011

This is what one would assume.
However, when you work with MemoQ, you get a message similar to (I do not remember exact wording) "due to the fact source format is complicated merging segments has been disabled". And that would not work even for segments divided by an unknown abbreviation (like max. for example).

MikeTrans
Germany
Member (2005)
Italian to German
+ ...
I think: no auto-concordance Jul 25, 2011

Hi,

yes, auto-concordance would help very much - together with the Autosuggest, but this feature will probably never see the light in Studio with the current engine: too slow to handle, the whole program would come to a painful stop.
Just try to make a normal concordance on a very large TM and you see what I mean.

This has been discussed in the "Your Ideas" section, with the tenor as here above, but I don't know if that statement was made by an expert in the matter.

Greets,
Mike

[Edited at 2011-07-25 18:44 GMT]

United Kingdom
Member (2009)
Dutch to English
+ ...
@Jerzy Jul 25, 2011

I seem to remember (source) segments not being joinable, but I think that was when I was in a "View". I join segments all the time, and have never gotten that error message yet.

[Edited at 2011-07-25 19:20 GMT]

Germany
Member (2003)
Polish to German
+ ...
Unfortunately this was not my case Jul 25, 2011

I use MemoQ 4.5.74 (because my customer has the same version and I need to synchronize online).
Having to translate a big project (over 30,000 words) of partially really badly segmented files I have tried to merge. But it was not possible...
Tried again now: the "Join segments" command in the context menu is greyed out, same in menu edit.
I seem not to be able to find an answer I have got to the question about joining the segments, but I am sure it was like this: "in order not to destroy format the join command is disabled".

Tomás Cano Binder, BA, CT  Identity Verified
Spain
Member (2005)
English to Spanish
+ ...
Because they are server projects Jul 25, 2011

Jerzy Czopik wrote:
I use MemoQ 4.5.74 (because my customer has the same version and I need to synchronize online).
Having to translate a big project (over 30,000 words) of partially really badly segmented files I have tried to merge. But it was not possible...

I think this is still an unresolved thing in memoQ: when it comes to memoQ Server projects, I think that you can only merge segments in the "Desktop documents" variant of the Server projects. You cannot merge segments in the "Online documents" variant.

Users of memoQ creating their own projects can merge as they wish, as far as I am aware.

Germany
Member (2003)
Polish to German
+ ...
Oh, how easy to find excuses... Jul 25, 2011

Nevertheless, the topic was "2011 features".
This does not mean "MemoQ features".

United Kingdom
Member (2009)
Dutch to English
+ ...
memoQ pro desktop version allows Joining/Splitting, server doesn't Jul 25, 2011

Thanks for clearing that up Tomás. I was actually just now reading through old posts in the memoQ list on this topic, and came to the same conclusion as you. You can't join segments as freely in memoQ server projects as in the desktop program. This is by design.

(Off topic, I know, so I'll leave it here;)

[Edited at 2011-07-25 20:44 GMT]

Germany
Member (2003)
Polish to German
+ ...
Oh, by design? How great... Jul 25, 2011

Thanks for clearing that up Tomás. I was actually just now reading through old posts in the memoQ list on this topic, and came to the same conclusion as you. You can't join segments as freely in memoQ server projects as in the desktop program. This is by design.

(Off topic, I know, so I'll leave it here;)

Well, I find it astoniishing. Really. Would MemoQ be a product of SDL, then it would have been a problem to be reported in several forums. Great to know, that when it comes to other software the level of acceptance of bugs or bad design is far lower.
Thank you very much for bringing this up.

Riccardo Schiaffino  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 16:29
Member (2003)
English to Italian
+ ...
That's a really good way to mess up your TM Jul 25, 2011

Eileen Cartoon wrote:

I, too, hate those breaks. Seems not only are they because of designer layouts but, for me, most are the result of conversions from pdfs.

When I encounter them, I type the entire sentence on the first line of the text and enter xxx in each of the following segments. when I do the final rereat in Word I first do a search for xxx and eliminate them and pulling up the empty lines. This way it doesn't slow me down much. If it is a repeat customer, I then go back into the TM and eliminate the segments with xxx.

It really speeds things up but I am sure it is not the "right" way to do things.

Eileen

You are right, this is certainly not the "right" way to do things, unless what you want is to mess up your TM.

If I understand you correctly, you have a source that says something like
(segment 1)This is a text
(segment 2)that is badly split over two segments

and you translate it as
(segment 1)Questo è un testo mal diviso in due segmenti
(segment 2)xxx

Now in your TM you have
(ENG_USA)This is a text
(IT_IT)Questo è un testo mal diviso in due segmenti
(ENG_USA)that is badly split over two segments
(IT_IT)xxx

And if this is a repeat customer, you than go back, and delete the "xxx" segments from memory.

But you still end up with this beauty of a segment in memory:
(ENG_USA)This is a text
(IT_IT)Questo è un testo mal diviso in due segmenti

So what happens is that, next time over, when you get this text to translate:

This is a text

And this, instead is something else

You obtain this incorrect translation from the translation memory:

Questo è un testo mal diviso in due segmenti

E questo, invece, è qualcosa di diverso

Tapsa
English to Finnish
TOPIC STARTER
Auto-concordance Jul 26, 2011

MikeTrans wrote:
yes, auto-concordance would help very much - together with the Autosuggest, but this feature will probably never see the light in Studio with the current engine: too slow to handle, the whole program would come to a painful stop.
Just try to make a normal concordance on a very large TM and you see what I mean.

[Edited at 2011-07-25 18:44 GMT]

Yes, it may be so in the currrent "engine". Anyway, autoconcordance works reasonably well in the old Trados system (workbench). If they have gifted programmers, I don't see any technical reason (that could not be fixed) for not to include the code (or modified routine, they must have the source code) in Studio. They certainly have had enough time. Or was the old Trados programmed in "purukumilla paikattu" style? (meaning something like "fixed with bubble gum"), maybe without any documentation? What programming tools are they using? Have they sacked too many programmers? Where is the "innovation"?

Pages in topic:   [1 2] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

2011 features

Advanced search

SDL MultiTerm 2017
Guarantee a unified, consistent and high-quality translation with terminology software by the industry leaders.

SDL MultiTerm 2017 allows translators to create one central location to store and manage multilingual terminology, and with SDL MultiTerm Extract 2017 you can automatically create term lists from your existing documentation to save time.

More info »
SDL Trados Studio 2017 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 250,000 translators.

SDL Trados Studio 2017 helps translators increase translation productivity whilst ensuring quality. Combining translation memory, terminology management and machine translation in one simple and easy-to-use environment.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search