Object reference not set to an instance of an object
Thread poster: Martina Svehlova Jurikova
Martina Svehlova Jurikova
Local time: 15:03
English to Slovak
+ ...
Jul 23, 2011

Recently when working in Studio 2009 there is an error message "Object reference not set to an instance of an object" interrupting my work when confirming translated segments. The segment remain unconfirmed and there is the error message. Afterwards I am able to translate the segments, but not to confirm them. Sometimes I am unable to close the application - just CRTL-ALT-DEL helps. I re-installed the software, but the error is still there.
When I restart the application, sometimes I am able to confirm the particular segment, sometimes the error message is displayed again.

What can I do?

Direct link Reply with quote

Eileen Cartoon  Identity Verified
Italian to English
Solution given to me by SDL support Jul 23, 2011

I had a similar problem, or better, I got the same message but not exactly for the same reason. I logged the case on SDL support and this is what they told me to do.

Please try the following: exit SDL Trados Studio, browse to the relevant directory.
Windows XP: C:\Documents and Settings\[USERNAME]\Application Data\SDL\SDL Trados Studio\[VERSIONNUMBER]
Windows Vista/7: C:\Users\[USERNAME]\AppData\Roaming\SDL\SDL Trados Studio\[VERSIONNUMBER]

Here you find the following 3 files:
BaseSettings.xml
plugincache.xml
UserSettings.xml

Make a backup copy of them in a spare folder and delete the 3 original files.
Launch Studio and try again.

It worked for me. Hope it works for you, too.

Eileen

Paula Mahler
Argentina
Local time: 11:03
French to Spanish
+ ...
I deleted the files... Jul 25, 2011

Hello,
I delete those files, It worked O.K. for a while and suddenly, the same error message appears when my computer starts running.
Thanks a lot.
Paula

Eileen Cartoon  Identity Verified
Italian to English
Unfortunately, I can't be of any other help Jul 25, 2011

Maybe someone else can.

Sorry it didn't work.
Eileen

Martina Svehlova Jurikova
English to Slovak
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Eileen, thank you! Jul 30, 2011

It seems deleting the 3 files would help. The error message has not appeared since that time. Thanks!

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Object reference not set to an instance of an object

Advanced search

BaccS – Business Accounting Software
Modern desktop project management for freelance translators

BaccS makes it easy for translators to manage their projects, schedule tasks, create invoices, and view highly customizable reports. User-friendly, ProZ.com integration, community-driven development – a few reasons BaccS is trusted by translators!

More info »
memoQ translator pro
Kilgray's memoQ is the world's fastest developing integrated localization & translation environment rendering you more productive and efficient.

With our advanced file filters, unlimited language and advanced file support, memoQ translator pro has been designed for translators and reviewers who work on their own, with other translators or in team-based translation projects.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search