Trouble changing my translation review habits as a new Trados user. Any tips?
Thread poster: Richard Hill

Richard Hill  Identity Verified
Mexico
Local time: 03:23
Member (2011)
Spanish to English
Jul 24, 2011

As a new Trados user I’m trying to reorganize the way I work to make the most efficient use possible of Trados. One difficulty I’m having is with reviewing my translation. Before using Trados I wouldn’t review my translation until I’d finished the whole document, but using Trados it seems to be more appropriate to read each segment as soon as its translated so as to be able to confirm the segment and move on to the next segment, because if I don’t confirm each segment I won’t be able to take advantage of the automated translation of repetitions later in the document. I’m finding this new habit of reading each sentence (or paragraph if using paragraph segmentation) difficult to get used to. In other words it brakes my flow and concentration to translate a sentence and then have to stop and read it right away and repeat this swapping from reading to translating hundreds (of even thousands) of times throughout the document, and because I’m aware that my concentration is broken, when I finish the whole document I’m left with the feeling that my sentence by sentence review was unreliable, so I need to do another review of the whole document thus defeating the purpose of using Trados (i.e. speed and efficiency). I apologize for this long-winded way of putting my point across but anyway, I’d be really interested to hear how other Trados user deal with this; that is, if it is actually a problem for other users? Maybe I’m missing something in the settings that would help me with this? Or most likely it’s just a question of getting used to it.

thanks

rich

Direct link Reply with quote

Tomás Cano Binder, BA, CT  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 10:23
Member (2005)
English to Spanish
+ ...
?? Jul 24, 2011

rich. wrote:
...if I don’t confirm each segment I won’t be able to take advantage of the automated translation of repetitions later in the document.

I don't quite get it. What keeps you from translating non-stop (confirming each segment of course) and then reading the whole of it as you did in the past? Simply translate as usual, but get into the habit of confirming each segment. When you do the review, when you change anything just confirm the segment.

CAT tools don't get in the way of working the way you like. They are there to help you.

Mexico
Member (2011)
Spanish to English
TOPIC STARTER
It's me that doesn't get it. Jul 24, 2011

Tomás Cano Binder, CT wrote:
I don't quite get it.

Que tonto soy! I'm laughing at myself as I write this reply. I guess I had some daft mental block making me feel uncomfortable about confirming something I wasn't 100% sure about. Ay Ay Ay

Thanks Tomás.

rich

Nani Delgado  Identity Verified
Spain
Member (2010)
German to Spanish
Review option Jul 24, 2011

Hi rich,

If you want, you can also use the review option in Trados. After finishing the translation you could open the file(s) to review and make changes if necessary.

Of course you could also review your translation in the same way you translated it. The review option is maybe more comfortable because some of the windows disappear (concordance window or the multiterm window) from screen. But Tomás is right: just confirm every single segment as you translate.

Happy translating,
Nani

Mexico
Member (2011)
Spanish to English
TOPIC STARTER
review option in Trados Jul 24, 2011

Nani Delgado wrote:
If you want, you can also use the review option in Trados
Nani

Hi Nani.

Thanks for your reply.

I wasn't even aware there was such a function. I'll take a closer look at it. One thing, advantages are there to reviewing in Trados rather than in Word? I guess one would be that the TM gets updated if I make any changes. Any others?

Saludos

rich

Nani Delgado  Identity Verified
Spain
Member (2010)
German to Spanish
. Jul 24, 2011

Well, if your text has repetitions (I mean identical segments), you only have to make one correction and Trados will apply this automatically to all other segments. This could be an advantage. It won´t apply when you change a word that appears in different segments, but one could still work faster when making changes in Trados than in Word. However, updating the TM seems to me the most important advantage of reviewing the translation in Trados.

[Edited at 2011-07-24 07:48 GMT]

Jabberwock  Identity Verified
Poland
Member (2004)
English to Polish
Similar segments Jul 24, 2011

There is one issue you might want to consider - if you have similar segments, you can, naturally, write the second one based on the TM hit for the first one. However, if you change the first one significantly, you have to remember to do the same for the second one. Naturally, the second segment already has a TM hit (the "old" one entered during translation), so the change might not be obvious.

For example, two segments:

The maintenance for this part should be done once a month.
Obsługę tej części należy przeprowadzać raz w miesiącu.

The maintenance of this part should be done twice a month.
Obsługę tej części należy przeprowadzać dwa razy w miesiącu.

After the review the first segment reads:

Prace konserwacyjne tego podzespołu należy przeprowadzać raz w miesiącu.

Now the second segment has to reflect the change - however, there is no automatic indication of this... After all, the program has already a 100% for the second segment (the old one) so it is perfectly satisfied with this. Therefore, if you remember that there were such similar segments, you have to still make a mental note of the change. Or use find/replace or filters to display only those similar segments and change them all at the same time.

The old Trados was particularly annoying in this respect - if you had a segment committed to the TM, i.e. 100%, it would not show any other matches, while in this case it would be much easier (and obvious) to use the match from the first segment, even if it is not perfect, than to rewrite the second segment manually. One way to do this was to delete the TM entry for the second segment completely, but obviously it is just a workaround, not a solution.

I am sure Studio has a much better way of handling those cases.

SDL Community  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
English
SDLXLIFF Converter maybe? Jul 24, 2011

Don't forget the option to export any format to Word, use Word to review and then import the amended document back in.

SDL XLIFF Converter for MS Office : http://tinyurl.com/sdlxliffconverter

Regards

Paul

Emma Goldsmith  Identity Verified
Spain
Member (2010)
Spanish to English
display filter Jul 24, 2011

Jabberwock wrote:

Now the second segment has to reflect the change - however, there is no automatic indication of this...

I agree with Jabberwock that this can be a bit of a fiddle. However, the display filter option is a useful feature when you are aware that you are changing one segment and that this may affect other similar segments.
To use the same example:

Obsługę tej części należy przeprowadzać raz w miesiącu.

The maintenance of this part should be done twice a month.
Obsługę tej części należy przeprowadzać dwa razy w miesiącu.

After the review the first segment reads:

Prace konserwacyjne tego podzespołu należy przeprowadzać raz w miesiącu.

You could use the display filter to filter segments that only contain the word "maintenance" in the target.
That will make it very easy to make any adjustments you need.

Mexico
Member (2011)
Spanish to English
TOPIC STARTER
thanks Jul 26, 2011

just a quick not of thanks for everyone's input

all the best

rich

verseau213  Identity Verified
United States
Italian to English
+ ...
late to this discussion, but I'm confused Oct 19, 2013

I have a question about Studio 2011 that is related to this topic. I haven't been able to answer my question by looking through any guides, and if this has already been discussed in the forums, I haven't been able to find it.

When working on documents with a high amount of repetitions, I find that Studio is really horrible. When reviewing my translation after I'm done, if I decide to change something in a segment that is repeated, I have to manually find all instances of what I change because Trados doesn't update all of the segments automatically after I reconfirm. I might change the confirmed segment in the TM, but the bilingual doesn't update each matching repetition automatically.

Is there a way to do this automatically? I hope I explained my problem clearly.

TIA

Yan Yuliang  Identity Verified
China
Local time: 16:23
Member (2008)
English to Chinese
+ ...
There are some options called auto-propagation Oct 19, 2013

verseau213 wrote:

I have a question about Studio 2011 that is related to this topic. I haven't been able to answer my question by looking through any guides, and if this has already been discussed in the forums, I haven't been able to find it.

When working on documents with a high amount of repetitions, I find that Studio is really horrible. When reviewing my translation after I'm done, if I decide to change something in a segment that is repeated, I have to manually find all instances of what I change because Trados doesn't update all of the segments automatically after I reconfirm. I might change the confirmed segment in the TM, but the bilingual doesn't update each matching repetition automatically.

Is there a way to do this automatically? I hope I explained my problem clearly.

TIA

I guess you can find it from the menu, LOL
It allows you to change one segment, without needing to change all 100% repeated segments. Of course fuzzy matches don't work out.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Trouble changing my translation review habits as a new Trados user. Any tips?

Advanced search

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
PerfectIt consistency checker
Faster Checking, Greater Accuracy

PerfectIt helps deliver error-free documents. It improves consistency, ensures quality and helps to enforce style guides. It’s a powerful tool for pro users, and comes with the assurance of a 30-day money back guarantee.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search