Error while converting to Word document
Thread poster: Ezequiel Fernandez

Ezequiel Fernandez
Local time: 14:43
English to Spanish
+ ...
Jul 24, 2011

Hi everybody,

I hope there's someone around who can guide me with this problem today.

I've now completed a translation EN>SP in TagEditor (Trados 2007) but when I try to "save target as", the above message pops up (Error while converting...)

After following the suggestions given in similar threads in this forum, nothing seems to be helpful. This includes checking tags via the verifiers (no tag errors reported). I've tried to clean up the ttx. in Workbenck after updating the TM, changed the verification level, etc. but nothing seems to work.

Any suggestion/ideas would be much appreciated.
Ezequiel

Direct link Reply with quote

Jerzy Czopik  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2003)
Polish to German
+ ...
Your original Word file is corrupted Jul 24, 2011

You can open the source file in Word using the Open&Repair function or use OpenOffice to open and recreate the Word file. Then open the repaired file and translate that one.
Should the problem have occured with a Word 2007 file, save as Word 2003.

And for the future: after opening any file in TagEditor translate just two-three sentences somewhere in the file and try to save target - if it works, it will work. Otherwise you need to repair the source file.

Ezequiel Fernandez
English to Spanish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Not corrupted file, but no more headaches with this Jul 24, 2011

Thanks for your reply, Jerzy.
However, my source file was not corrupted.
Apparently, I missed some tags in the translation process, possibly because of fuzzy/full matches not containing exactly the source segment tags.

Just for future reference for peers with possibly the same problem, I would suggest trying the following sequence :

1. Create a new TM in Workbenck and fill it in with the translation you saved in TagEditor (to do so, go to Tools > Translate > Add file, here you add your ttx.) and update the TM (not the document).

2. In TagEditor with the new TM, open again your source file and start filling in the segments with the text as appeared in green. This means everything is now in the TM, so this should be a really quick and easy task, no matter how large your document is (Okay for docs over 200 pages, forget it!).

3. Just try again "save target as" after saving your new txx. In the problem persists, try changing your plug-in features to check for missing tags, etc.

.... Good luck!
Larrú

Jerzy Czopik  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2003)
Polish to German
+ ...
If you missed tags... Jul 24, 2011

then the verifier should have told you that.
But you wrote no errors were reported. So in such case the source is corrupted. Otherwise the verifier does report missing tags. TBH I have never seen a situaiton when a missing tag would not have been reported.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Error while converting to Word document

Advanced search

LSP.expert
You’re a freelance translator? LSP.expert helps you manage your daily translation jobs. It’s easy, fast and secure.

How about you start tracking translation jobs and sending invoices in minutes? You can also manage your clients and generate reports about your business activities. So you always keep a clear view on your planning, AND you get a free 30 day trial period!

More info »
memoQ translator pro
Kilgray's memoQ is the world's fastest developing integrated localization & translation environment rendering you more productive and efficient.

With our advanced file filters, unlimited language and advanced file support, memoQ translator pro has been designed for translators and reviewers who work on their own, with other translators or in team-based translation projects.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search