Sara Mullin  Identity Verified
France
Local time: 04:09
Member (2007)
English to French
+ ...
Jul 25, 2011

Hi everyone,

I've been trying in vain to export the TM of a project that I just finished and nothing I do works. Here's the background information:

I'm using Trados Studio 2009 Freelance (SDL Trados Studio 2009 SP3- 9.1.2283.6). At the start of this project, I created a new project folder with all the files to be translated. The client gave me a TM that I used when I created the project. This project contains 5 folders that each have 4 idml files to be translated (i.e. 20 idml files in total):

e.g.

PROJECT X
->FOLDER A
---->file 1
---->file 2
---->file 3
---->file 4
->FOLDER B
etc.

Here's what I've tried (in all the different variations because as I've said nothing has worked, so I've tried every possible thing that I can think of):

I translated all the files to 100% ( i.e. I confirmed each and every TU)
I then clicked on Project-> Batch Tasks -> Update Project Translation Memories. I did this both for each individual and for the project as a whole.
I also clicked on Project-> Batch Tasks -> Update Main Translation Memories (again I did this for each file individually and for the project as a whole).
I also tried Project-> Batch Tasks -> Populate Project Translation Memories.
I've finalized the project and tried all the above again.
I put all the files back into sdlxliff format and started all over...

I actually know how to export a TM. I can see my TM in the Translation Memory menu, I right clicked on it, chose "Export", and I chose the name and location of the Exported file and clicked Finish. The problem is that what is exported (in .tmx format) is what the client gave me. Nothing more. In other words, all of the TUs that I translated for these 20 files are not appearing in the TM.

I sent the client the the sdlxliff files (so she can extract the TM herself) but she gets an error message and can't open them.

Can anyone please please shed some light on what I'm doing wrong?

In the worst case scenario, would someone possibly let me send them one of my sdlxliff files to see if you can see both the French and English? If so, please contact me via the ProZ website.

Many many thanks in advance,
Sara

Direct link Reply with quote

Jerzy Czopik  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2003)
Polish to German
+ ...
OPen the project TM and export that Jul 25, 2011

Go to project folder, locate the TM subfolder, open it, go into the language specific subfolder, double click the TM located there, then close it in the maintenance view. Right click on its name in the TM list and chose export.

France
Member (2007)
English to French
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
this TM only contains the TUs from 1 of the 20 files Jul 25, 2011

Hi Jerzy,

Thanks so much for you quick reply. I forgot to mention that I tried that too and the TM in the specific language folder only contains the TUs from 1 of the 20 files I translated. I don't know what happened to the TUs from the other 19 files...

Jerzy Czopik  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2003)
Polish to German
+ ...
Use the import function then... Jul 25, 2011

If you already found the project TM, use the import function there, add the translated SDLXLIFF files and import them there. Then export the TM.
I also cannot tell what happened with the translation and why it does not work.

France
Member (2007)
English to French
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Yes! Jul 25, 2011

Thank you so much Jerzy. That finally worked!! I wish I had asked you an hour or so ago!!

Kind regards,
Sara

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Problem exporting TM in Trados Suite 2009 Freelance

Advanced search

WordFinder
The words you want Anywhere, Anytime

WordFinder is the market's fastest and easiest way of finding the right word, term, translation or synonym in one or more dictionaries. In our assortment you can choose among more than 120 dictionaries in 15 languages from leading publishers.

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search