Valeria Ricciardi  Identity Verified
Italy
Local time: 11:48
Member (2005)
English to Italian
+ ...
Jul 25, 2011

Dear all

I have a problem with opening Word files with Trados 2007.
Problems begin right after having clicked on a Word file to open it, with a Visual Basic error message saying "The file can't be found". Then the file opens anyway, but if I click on the SDL Trados menu to activate it, another error message appears saying that there is a problem with Macros. I checked and saw that in the Templates folder (C:\Program Files\SDLInternational\T2007\TT\Templates) there was a TRADO
... See more
Dear all

I have a problem with opening Word files with Trados 2007.
Problems begin right after having clicked on a Word file to open it, with a Visual Basic error message saying "The file can't be found". Then the file opens anyway, but if I click on the SDL Trados menu to activate it, another error message appears saying that there is a problem with Macros. I checked and saw that in the Templates folder (C:\Program Files\SDLInternational\T2007\TT\Templates) there was a TRADOS8.dot file (correct) and a Trados8.dotm file with a yellow ! on its icon. I checked Word options settings for macros and it seems that this Trados8.dotm file is the active one and it remains active even if I add and choose to activate the right one (TRADOS8.dot).

I tried everything but no way the right template stays active. I can't use Trados on Word files at the moment and I don't know how to solve this problem.

I work on a Mac via Parallels but the problem persists whether I use the Coherence function or Bootcamp working on Windows only.

What would you suggest me to do?

Thank you

Valeria
Collapse

Jerzy Czopik
Jerzy Czopik  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2003)
Polish to German
+ ...
You may not use Trados8.dot for Word 2007 Jul 25, 2011

Remove any occurencies of Trados8.dot from Word startup folder.
I do not exactly know the folder structure on a Mac, but make sure the Trados8.dotm is the only template loaded in Word. It MUST be located in the folder, which is defined as Word startup folder in Word options. This template may not be present in any other MS Office startup folder. It may be activated in Word only once.
You also may not have two templates together - Trados8.dot and Trados8.dotm.
The only template
... See more
Remove any occurencies of Trados8.dot from Word startup folder.
I do not exactly know the folder structure on a Mac, but make sure the Trados8.dotm is the only template loaded in Word. It MUST be located in the folder, which is defined as Word startup folder in Word options. This template may not be present in any other MS Office startup folder. It may be activated in Word only once.
You also may not have two templates together - Trados8.dot and Trados8.dotm.
The only template which works with Word 2007 is the dotm one.

BTW, you shuould never use the templates in Trados installation folder. Copy the Trados8.dotm to Word startup folder.

[Edited at 2011-07-25 21:35 GMT]
Collapse

Valeria Ricciardi
Valeria Ricciardi  Identity Verified
Italy
Member (2005)
English to Italian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Still problems with Macro protection Jul 26, 2011

Dear Jerzy

thanks for your response. I did as you suggested but the problem is still there. There seems to be a problem with Macro protection, but I don't know what it is since I activated all macros and enabled VBA projects. As for now I have opened the Word document in TagEditor and at the moment everything seems to be alright.
The thing is that I am afraid there is a bug with Office or Word installation upstream because I get a VB error message every time I try to open a W
... See more
Dear Jerzy

thanks for your response. I did as you suggested but the problem is still there. There seems to be a problem with Macro protection, but I don't know what it is since I activated all macros and enabled VBA projects. As for now I have opened the Word document in TagEditor and at the moment everything seems to be alright.
The thing is that I am afraid there is a bug with Office or Word installation upstream because I get a VB error message every time I try to open a Word file, irrespective of Trados.

I hope I will get to the root of it once I have delivered this urgent job.

Thanks for your precious support

Valeria
Collapse

Jerzy Czopik
Germany
Member (2003)
Polish to German
+ ...
Sorry, no clue about that Jul 26, 2011

In fact I do not support Trados-Word combination since at least 4 years, and I never used (and would never use) Trados in Word 2007.
The way via TagEditor is certainly the best solution and I would keep it simply and forget about Word.

Aude Sylvain
Aude Sylvain  Identity Verified
France
English to French
+ ...
- Jul 26, 2011

Hello,

I am not sure whether it is relevant here, but most (not all!) problems I had with Word macros and Trados (Office 2010, Windows 2007 Professional - both on a PC and on a Mac with Parallels) were solved when I installed the 32-bit version of Office, as opposed to the 64-bit.

Also, if you bought Office 2010 online you need to upload the full version, and not the proposed "click-to-run" version.

HTH,

Regards
Aude

xiao
xiao
Local time: 17:48
same proplem Oct 31, 2011

hello everyone, I think met the same situation, can't find TRADOS8.dotm or dot anywhere in my pc, I tried all the methods you mentioned above but still fail to find them. Will anyone send trados8.dotm to me?
many thanks

[修改时间: 2011-10-31 01:41 GMT]

Jerzy Czopik
Germany
Member (2003)
Polish to German
+ ...
Do you have SDL Trados 2007 Suite installed? Oct 31, 2011

If so, you will find the template in Trados installation folder.
If not, you need to install Trados 2007 first.

tradym
tradym  Identity Verified
Spain
English to Spanish
+ ...
Cannot find Trados8.dotm Jan 4, 2013

I am trying to run Trados 2007 on Word 2010, but I am unable, despite trying everything suggested in these fora, to find the file: trados8.dotm to move it to the right folder so that Word displays the apropriate tool bar.

Could anyone please send me this file through e-mail.
Thank you so much.

Bernhard Sulzer
Bernhard Sulzer  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 05:48
English to German
+ ...
Where can trados8.dotm be located in the program files (PC)? Jun 8, 2013

tradym wrote:

I am trying to run Trados 2007 on Word 2010, but I am unable, despite trying everything suggested in these fora, to find the file: trados8.dotm to move it to the right folder so that Word displays the apropriate tool bar.

Could anyone please send me this file through e-mail.
Thank you so much.

Yes, where is that file? trados8.dotm
I'm still looking.
Jerzy, what to you mean by Trados installation folder? It's not under that name.
Help greatly appreciated.
B

[Edited at 2013-06-08 18:24 GMT]

Bernard Lieber
Bernard Lieber  Identity Verified
English to French
+ ...
TT\Templates Jun 8, 2013

Hi,

You'll find the template under the above folder. However, if you're using a 64-bit version of Word, it won't work as Trados8.dotm is a 32-bit plug-in.

HTH,

Bernard

Bernhard Sulzer
Bernhard Sulzer  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 05:48
English to German
+ ...
found it but still problems with importing of TM Jun 8, 2013

Bernard Lieber wrote:

Hi,

You'll find the template under the above folder. However, if you're using a 64-bit version of Word, it won't work as Trados8.dotm is a 32-bit plug-in.

HTH,

Bernard

Thank you, Bernard.

That info was also provided earlier by Jerzy. The reason I didn't find it was probably because I started my search with the search button in the left corner, selecting "All Programs". Forget that.

Since I couldn't find it and still have problems importing the TMX file (TM data base) file into Workbench, I also ran a registry clean-up program today (ARO 2013 Trial Version) and this might helped me find it. This is how I found it. Find "My Computer" and click on it. Then click on "Local Disk" and then what I found were 2 options for program folders: "Program Files" and Program Files (x86). Nothing in the "Program Files' folder. But I opened Program Files(x86) and then you can select SDL International, open it, then click on T2007_FL, then click on TT, then click on Templates and you will see Trados8 - twice! One is a dot file and the other the dotm file.

As far as the difference between the Word 2010 versions is concerned, shouldn't it be possible to install the 32-bit version from Microsoft?! I checked mine, it's the 32-bit version - usually the 32-bit version is the one that's installed.

I hope I'll get my TM import issue straightened out. If you can give any help for that, I'd appreciate it. The error message I get in the Workbench is "(50400) Error in TMX input." It seems the TMX file is fine, it fulfllls all requirements.

Bernhard

[Edited at 2013-06-08 19:18 GMT]

Bernard Lieber
Bernard Lieber  Identity Verified
English to French
+ ...
Delete .dot Jun 8, 2013

Hi Bernhard,

If you got both dot and dotm plug-ins installed, delete .dot, should fix it - you can't have both running at the same time. Also, make sure only one is enabled under Word.

HTH,

Bernard

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Trados can't find TRADOS8.dot

Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »
Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »