How can I adjust my documents in Tag Editor?
Thread poster: Erik Gardekrans

Erik Gardekrans  Identity Verified
Sweden
Local time: 12:53
Member (2011)
English to Swedish
+ ...
Jul 25, 2011

Hi all!

I have an issue with a translation agency which I find myself unable to solve. The company in question keeps claiming that my tags are in disorder or even that I have inserted previously non-existing tags into the source and target text. I cannot for the world understand how I can rid myself of all incorrect tag markings. I am very inexperienced when it comes to working with Tag Editor and that is on epart of the problem. However, the other part is that I don't understand which places in the texts they are referring to. It is a real mess and I feel that I am totally in the blue here. If any one here could be of the least assistance, it would make me immensely grateful. For refernce nad to get a better understanding of the problems I am facing I have pasted parts of the commentaries I have been receiving from the said company for a few days on end. Please, see below. Also, if any kind soul, takes interest enough in this problem, I would be happy to receive a mail from you, which in turn will let me attach more information about this errand.

Thanks a million in advance!

Best regards,
Erik Gärdekrans

Please NOTE:For SVE, there have been issues caused by your translation of 3.2.1.1. We have detected 2 different issues they are as follows:
A) Some of the files seem to be translated with a different tool or modified segmentation rules.
B) There are tags that didn't exist in the original file we provided in 3.2.1.1.

For these reason, the number of fuzzies is higher than other languages which should not be the case the word count should be the same
I've included 2 sample screens1st Sample: this including a sample of the extra tags included during translation phase2nd Sample: as I said, this is caused by a diffent tool (not TagEditor) or modified segmentation rules (not standard ones) working on TTX filesI will need you to fix the files you delivered for 3.2.1.1 and re-deliver I have attached the files you translated so you can access them easily. Please treat this task as a priority.We did find issues from when analyzing the Finnish from the previous batch this was because you have modified the source strings in the TTX files. This is not allowed (basically because source strings are used by localization tools to perform the checks and errors like that ones are hidden by actions like that). Because of the issues found in 3.2.1.1 translation, they may have other effects. In the sample included (sample1), you are entering opening closing tags with no text between them. In a normal project this will not have any impact, but in this particular project we have to run a WebWorks help generation and open/closing tags (even when they don't contain any text, can have an impact on help layout.
From that, we need you to fix the files attached also in “SV-SE.ZIP”.Please remember do not review 100% matches and please follow the TM for reference during translation. Please refer to the Global TM’s already supplied if you feel you require this for reference.

Verify external tags
=======================================================================

Verify external source tags
===========================

Verify validity of tags
=======================

[1] Error 803. The internal tag is not a valid tag.
+++++++++++++ Text Segment +++++++++++++

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

[2] Error 803. The internal tag is not a valid tag.

[3] Error 803. The internal tag is not a valid tag.

[4] Error 803. The internal tag is not a valid tag.

[5] Error 803. The internal tag is not a valid tag.

[6] Error 803. The internal tag is not a valid tag.

[7] Error 803. The internal tag is not a valid tag.

[8] Error 803. The internal tag is not a valid tag.

[9] Error 803. The internal tag is not a valid tag.

[10] Error 803. The internal tag is not a valid tag.

[11] Error 801. The external tag is not a valid tag.

[12] Error 803. The internal tag is not a valid tag.

[13] Error 803. The internal tag is not a valid tag.

[14] Error 803. The internal tag is not a valid tag.

[15] Error 803. The internal tag is not a valid tag.

[16] Error 803. The internal tag is not a valid tag.

[17] Error 803. The internal tag is not a valid tag.

[18] Error 803. The internal tag is not a valid tag.

[19] Error 803. The internal tag is not a valid tag.

Direct link Reply with quote

Clarisa Moraña  Identity Verified
Argentina
Local time: 08:53
Member (2002)
English to Spanish
+ ...
Some clues Jul 26, 2011

Dear Erik

The issue is a little bit difficult to solve without seeing the ttx files sent by your client.

In regards to issue A) Some of the files seem to be translated with a different tool or modified segmentation rules.

My questions are:
1) Did you use a different tool?
I believe you did not. So, the answer is that the segmentation rules were somehow modified.

2) Did you modify the segmentation rules?
Perhaps you did that unintentionally. Please read your client instructions carefully to check if they asked you to use certain *.ini file. That could be the reason of a wrong segmentation of the original file.

In regards to issue B) There are tags that didn't exist in the original file we provided in 3.2.1.1.

Your client claimed that you inserted tags in the original ttx file. That's very difficult as source tags are protected by default. To check that, in TagEditor go to:

Tools > Options > Protection > Tags Protection > (Click on) Protect Tags > All tags > OK

also, I would recommend you to enable the tags verification, as follows:

Tools > Options > Verification > (Click on) Strict (Note that "Dont check tags when translating to fuzzy" should not be checked).

Now, you have enabled your tag protection and your tag verification.

The next step would be to translate a brand new copy of the original ttx files (in order to be sure that no extra tag is added to the files provided by your client). Translate them as usual (no problem here as your translation is in your translation memory). You will notice that when closing a segment, an error message will alert you if an additional tag has been inserted. Perhaps additional tags were needed because of the target language you are translating into. I don't know about Sweddish, but perhaps some tags are needed for certain characters, thus those tags are neccerary.

At the end of the translation process, you could check the tags again. To do so, in TagEditor:

Tools > Plugs-in > (Click on) Verifiers > (Click on) SDL Trados Generic Tags Verifier

And the last step is to verify the file:

Tools > Verify

At the end of the verification process, you will have a verification window at the botton of the TagEditor window. If you double click at each error message, the cursor will take you to the translation segment with problems. The error message would read similar to the ones that your client sent to you.

I hope it helps

Clarisa

Heinrich Pesch  Identity Verified
Finland
Local time: 13:53
Member (2003)
Finnish to German
+ ...
Copy always source to target segment Jul 26, 2011

Perhaps you used WFP or some other tool?

In any case if there are tags in a segment you better copy first to target (alt+ins) and write your translation between the tags. In some cases the text is so badly formatted that one has to leave unnecessary tags to the end of the segment, where there is no harm.
When copying tags from the source either highlight them and use copy/past or the shortcuts alt+cntr+arrow (left/right/down).
Never put additional tags.

When using other tools make always sure TE can load the files and use the verify-function.

David Earl  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 04:53
Member (2007)
German to English
How are inserting angle brackets, if at all? Jul 29, 2011

This may not be the problem, but it's a possibility.

Are you familiar with HTML or XML? TTX files are XML files and as such are sensitive to angle brackets, because those characters have special meaning when program read them; they're the opening and closing markers for tags. In software documentation, for example, they are also often used to indicate keystrokes, as in <Ctrl>.

This problem is not uncommon in computerized files and the common workaround is something called "escaping" (you escape from the normal symbol processing routine and treat the "escaped" symbol in a non-standard manner). In HTML and XML, escape sequences start with an ampersand (&), followed by a defined name. The escape(d) sequence is terminated with a semicolon. For example: &lt; or &gt; for angle brackets (aka "Less Than" & "Greater Than").

TagEditor (or rather, its INI files) has settings which tell it how to deal with angle brackets and other characters by file extension/type. The issue with these settings is whether TagEditor should convert special symbols to escape sequences automatically or leave them as you typed them. That may be the problem.

To get started understanding those settings, see the Tag Settings Wizard tutorial in the File Formats Reference pdf. Also, both HTML and XML files are essentially TXT files with a different extension. That means that you can open and read them using a text editor, like Notepad, to (double-)check how TagEditor is handling special characters. If this idea is new to you, I would recommend starting with a small file, which will be easier to read. If you consider making changes to the TagEditor settings, backup the INI files (under the SDL installation directory under <Programs>) before you make changes, so that you can undo changes quickly and easily.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

How can I adjust my documents in Tag Editor?

Advanced search

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use SDL Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search