Diaeresis in tageditor become quotation marks
Thread poster: Monique van Prehn
Monique van Prehn
Monique van Prehn  Identity Verified
Local time: 16:40
English to Dutch
+ ...
Jul 26, 2011

All of a sudden I am no longer able to create words with diaeresis (like the Dutch word "creëren") in the Tageditor. It now becomes cre"eren. Never had that problem before. Any other application (notepad, Word etc.) still works fine.
I have checked other ttx-files with other TM's as well: same problem.
I would be very grateful for a nice solution, as this kind of problems always seem to occur during time-critical translations.

Samuel Murray
Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
Check your keyboard settings Jul 26, 2011

Monique van Prehn wrote:
All of a sudden I am no longer able to create words with diaeresis (like the Dutch word "creëren") in the Tageditor. It now becomes cre"eren.

If this only happens while you type (and if it also happens in Notepad), it could be that your keyboard settings have reset themselves. In Windows (not in TagEditor), set your keyboard to something like United States International.

Monique van Prehn
English to Dutch
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks Jul 26, 2011

Thanks Samuel, but that is the first thing I have tried, since spontaneous keyboard-resettings of my computer are causing me headaches from time to time.

This diaeresis thing does not happen in Notepad, neither in Word or any other application, that is what's so weird about it.

Samuel Murray
Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
Does it... Jul 26, 2011

Monique van Prehn wrote:
This diaeresis thing does not happen in Notepad, neither in Word or any other application, that is what's so weird about it.

Does it only happen while you type, or does it affect old text that used to be correct?

Monique van Prehn
English to Dutch
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Ooops! Jul 26, 2011

* embarrassed mode enabled *

Sometimes restarting your computer just does the trick... I feel like an absolute idiot, but I think the stress got the better of me and made me forget to try the most simple solution to most of these kinds of problems.

Anyway, thank you very much for your help!

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Diaeresis in tageditor become quotation marks

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »