https://www.proz.com/forum/sdl_trados_support/204023-%5Bsolved%5D_studio_concordance_takes_ages_to_run_the_first_time.html

[SOLVED] Studio: Concordance takes ages to run the first time
Thread poster: MikeTrans
MikeTrans
MikeTrans
Germany
Local time: 14:26
Italian to German
+ ...
Jul 26, 2011

Hi,
after importing a TM of approx. 350000 segments (eliminating superfluous short sentences etc.), it will work fine when using the concordance in a project the first time, but when I close Studio and re-open the same project's file, concordance will start only after some 5-10 minutes! Even with very simple words.
Is this normal or should I perform a special step with large TMs after importing them in order to make them work fast?

Thanks,
Mike

[ADDED]
... See more
Hi,
after importing a TM of approx. 350000 segments (eliminating superfluous short sentences etc.), it will work fine when using the concordance in a project the first time, but when I close Studio and re-open the same project's file, concordance will start only after some 5-10 minutes! Even with very simple words.
Is this normal or should I perform a special step with large TMs after importing them in order to make them work fast?

Thanks,
Mike

[ADDED]:
My mention about 5-10 minutes is exagerated: it would take about 3-5 minutes (still long!)

[Edited at 2011-07-26 11:12 GMT]

[Edited at 2011-07-26 13:44 GMT]
Collapse

FarkasAndras
FarkasAndras  Identity Verified
English to Hungarian
+ ...
Memory Jul 26, 2011

My guess would be that it's memory (RAM)-related.

A large TM can take up quite a bit of RAM, and if your computer doesn't have a lot of available RAM, then it gets paged out to disk when not in use (or not even loaded to memory). Then when you use it for the first time, your computer loads it to RAM from the disk, which can take ages (especially if you have an old HDD that's been full for years and that you never bothered to defragment).

Solution: close memory-hogging a
... See more
My guess would be that it's memory (RAM)-related.

A large TM can take up quite a bit of RAM, and if your computer doesn't have a lot of available RAM, then it gets paged out to disk when not in use (or not even loaded to memory). Then when you use it for the first time, your computer loads it to RAM from the disk, which can take ages (especially if you have an old HDD that's been full for years and that you never bothered to defragment).

Solution: close memory-hogging applications you don't need, buy more RAM (bump your RAM to 3 GB if you have a 32-bit OS and 4-6 GB if you're on 64 bits), and/or defragment.
Collapse

MikeTrans
MikeTrans
Germany
Italian to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
@Farkas, Jul 26, 2011

thanks for your tips.
My system is a HP Pavilion Notebook with Win7 (64) and 4GB RAM.

I haven't performed a defrag recently and I made some important Installs, so I will correct this, as it may be main cause.
Anyhow, after running the first time, Concordance will run fine afterwards.

Greets,
Mike

Jerzy Czopik
Jerzy Czopik  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2003)
Polish to German
+ ...
Notebook HDDs tend to be slower than in desktops Jul 26, 2011

So combined with the quite high resources cosumning Win 7, Studio and maybe a security solution in the background and office applications running the idea presented by Andras is quite plausible.
I have a comparison between a very fast desktop with Core Quad 2,5 GHz, 8 GB of RAM and standard HDD 640 GB with a Sony Vaio laptop, i7 2,66 GHz, 6 GB RAM and a RAID system of four SSD with 64 GB each (256 GB in total).
Even with less RAM the notebook is much faster. Bith systems run Windows
... See more
So combined with the quite high resources cosumning Win 7, Studio and maybe a security solution in the background and office applications running the idea presented by Andras is quite plausible.
I have a comparison between a very fast desktop with Core Quad 2,5 GHz, 8 GB of RAM and standard HDD 640 GB with a Sony Vaio laptop, i7 2,66 GHz, 6 GB RAM and a RAID system of four SSD with 64 GB each (256 GB in total).
Even with less RAM the notebook is much faster. Bith systems run Windows 7 Ultimate 64 bit and exactly the same security solution (Norton 360 Premier Edition 5).
Collapse

MikeTrans
MikeTrans
Germany
Italian to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
i7 is State Of The Art right now Jul 26, 2011

Hi Jerzy,
Well, with any i7 and 4GB+ RAM, you shouldn't have any concerns at all as regard of speed. I will upgrade my i5 notebook from 4 > 6/8 GB RAM in the future as this acceptable expense is very well spent in relation to the advantages.

[SOLVED]
I did the following:
- Go offline, close any program, incl. Internet Security
- Delete content from TEMP folders, empty Trash can
- Defragmentation of main HD (will take +/- 3/4 of an hour depending on HD s
... See more
Hi Jerzy,
Well, with any i7 and 4GB+ RAM, you shouldn't have any concerns at all as regard of speed. I will upgrade my i5 notebook from 4 > 6/8 GB RAM in the future as this acceptable expense is very well spent in relation to the advantages.

[SOLVED]
I did the following:
- Go offline, close any program, incl. Internet Security
- Delete content from TEMP folders, empty Trash can
- Defragmentation of main HD (will take +/- 3/4 of an hour depending on HD size)

The Concordance will now start after about 10 seconds! How good is that!

Mike

[Edited at 2011-07-26 13:56 GMT]
Collapse

Eileen Cartoon
Eileen Cartoon  Identity Verified
Italian to English
regular maintenance Jul 26, 2011

I am not particular computer savvy but I do what you mentioned -- deleting temp files -- every week and I defragment probably about once a month. I have found that this really does keep things moving more smoothly. I call it general maintenance. I clean the floor in my office, I dump the trash regularly so why shouldn't I do this inside my computer, too.!

Eileen

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

[SOLVED] Studio: Concordance takes ages to run the first time

Translation news related to SDL Trados

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »