Trados 2009 SP2: Handling Undefinied Unicode
Thread poster: Ogga
Ogga
Local time: 19:21
Jul 27, 2011

Hello,

I'm using Trados Studio 2009 SP2. First time using it; been having quite a few problems!

I'm trying to translate some large, complex Powerpoint documents from Korean to English.

As far as I can tell, the author of these files used quite a few special characters available in Powerpoint (such as arrows, circles, etc.), and these are embedded in the text.

However, they're not defined on a system-wide basis. There is no standard definition for unicode charctacter U+F0E0, for instance. Your system probably doesn't recognise it: . This is not a problem in itself, though. Powerpoint renders it as an arrow pointing right.

The problem is, when Trados opens and converts a file into segments for translation, it completely ignores all undefined unicode characters. There's no indication they exist in the source pane. Thus, when it recompiles the segments, the target file is stripped of all these characters. This destroys the formatting of the translated document. Not only that, but it screws up the concordance search as different strings are now logically identical (i.e. "SYMBOL abc" is identical to "abc").

An obvious workaround would be to globally replace U+F0E0, etc. with some unique character string in powerpoint before importing the files into Trados, and then switching back in Powerpoint again after the target file has been generated. However, this means I need to identify every single instance of special characters in the original document... not sure how I'd do that comprehensively.

I would have expected Trados to either produce some sort of error or message, or at the very least represent the characters using their unicode string.

I know this is a bit long, but anyway. Thanks for reading it.
Oscar

Direct link Reply with quote

Michael Grant
Japan
Local time: 03:21
Japanese to English
Font mapping? Jul 28, 2011

I wonder, could you use the Font mapping setting in the options for the PowerPoint file type to map whatever font PowerPoint is using to display these special characters to a unicode font?

In
Tools > Options > File Types > Microsoft PowerPoint XP-2003

or
Tools > Options > File Types > Microsoft PowerPoint 2007-2010

(whichever version you have), there is a Font mapping option. When you click on that it shows you a list of languages. If your source language (Korean) is not listed, you can Right-click in the window and select "Add new language(s)", then select Korean, etc.

Once you do that, you can Right-click on "Korean(Korea)" and select "Add new target font", then select something like Arial Unicode MS or whatever font can display those characters for "Target fonts" and then check the box under "Source fonts" for whatever font PowerPoint is using to display those special characters.

I have not tested this, but maybe it will at least recognize those special characters in the Source segment when TRADOS opens and converts the file...?

*Since this is untried, I would strongly suggest you make a copy of your source file(s) BEFORE trying anythign like the above!!!*

Otherwise, maybe the nice folks at SDL who read this forum will have an answer for you...:)

MGrant

[Edited at 2011-07-28 01:51 GMT]

SDL Community  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 20:21
English
Can we see the file? Jul 28, 2011

Hi Ogga,

On the basis of this thread I have no idea... can you share the file and we can take a look at the problem for you? You can email it to me.

Regards

Paul
pfilkin@sdl.com

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Trados 2009 SP2: Handling Undefinied Unicode

Advanced search

BaccS – Business Accounting Software
Modern desktop project management for freelance translators

BaccS makes it easy for translators to manage their projects, schedule tasks, create invoices, and view highly customizable reports. User-friendly, ProZ.com integration, community-driven development – a few reasons BaccS is trusted by translators!

More info »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search