speed up the adding of terms to Termbase in Studio 2009!
Thread poster: Richard Hill

Richard Hill  Identity Verified
Mexico
Local time: 16:33
Member (2011)
Spanish to English
Jul 27, 2011

Hi.

This post has to be one of the most beneficial I've come across in terms of results and I hope it's not against the rules to repost it but considering its two years old I thought it deserved moving up the list, especially considering how long it took my to come across (maybe down to my search skills or lack of them) in my search for advise on how to speed up the adding to terms to the termbase in Studio 2009 on the fly.

JulienP wrote:
Adding and editing terms in Multiterm 2009 is real slow...

Bjørnar Magnussen wrote:
I have gotten addicted to adding terms on the fly, but with the new 2009 version, this is really inconvenient due to slow speed...

Kim Booth wrote:
Making new entries in Multiterm 2009 is so slow that it is almost unusable...
...Why on earth they use Java for this is beyond me. I suspect that is the main reason for its treacle-like performance.

Francoise P. wrote:
Same here, it's incredibly slow,

Claudia Alvis wrote:
by no means 10 seconds is normal... I use F11 to add the terms and F12 to save them and adding a term takes probably less than 2 seconds.
I took some screenshots of my settings.
2. Disable next-generation Java plug-in

This seems to be the trick

Bjørnar Magnussen wrote:
Disabling next-generation Java plug-in did the trick for me!

Francoise P. wrote:
Thanks a lot, it seems to work for me too, even after a restart! Thanks again for your help, Claudia, it's very appreciated!

I was giving up on adding terms on the fly but this is the setting that did it for me too but it's not the only advice given by Alvis
see link to full post below

Bjørnar Magnussen wrote:
I have now remapped the Add New Term Key to F12, so that I can add a term with a "double click" on F12:)

I reckon this is a great tip. I would never imagined that F12 could have both "Add New Term" as well as "Save this Entry" assigned to it.

Claudia Alvis wrote:
...I have the Termbase Viewer set to auto-hide, after highlighting both terms (source and target), I move the cursor over the space the Termbase Viewer will pop-up (so the Viewer remains open) and, after adding the terms, wating for the Viewer to auto-hide (probably 3 or 4 seconds) takes longer than adding the terms.

Having termbase on autohide more or less doubles the time to add a term and involves the use of the mouse. I prefer to have the termbase ""Floating" somewhere where it doesn't get in the way

I was really getting desperate with the slow times for adding terms 'till I came across this post, so thanks, big time!

rich

If this advice is useful to you, here's the original posting for any comments or thanks:
http://www.proz.com/forum/sdl_trados_support/138575-multiterm_2009_editing_and_adding_terms_is_slow.html

Direct link Reply with quote

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

speed up the adding of terms to Termbase in Studio 2009!

Advanced search

PerfectIt consistency checker
Faster Checking, Greater Accuracy

PerfectIt helps deliver error-free documents. It improves consistency, ensures quality and helps to enforce style guides. It’s a powerful tool for pro users, and comes with the assurance of a 30-day money back guarantee.

More info »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search