Can't open Word document after converting to final
Thread poster: Kelly Bennett

Kelly Bennett  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 15:25
English to Spanish
+ ...
Jul 28, 2011

I've just finished a 76 page (13,000 word) translation of a word document using Tag editor (through project creation).

The actual project contained 5 files, 2 in excel and 3 word. I am able to open the excel documents and the other word documents, but the large (3,500K) word document opens with a single blank page.

The document properties tell me the document size and the number of pages (76) but when open there is just one blank page.

The document contains
... See more
I've just finished a 76 page (13,000 word) translation of a word document using Tag editor (through project creation).

The actual project contained 5 files, 2 in excel and 3 word. I am able to open the excel documents and the other word documents, but the large (3,500K) word document opens with a single blank page.

The document properties tell me the document size and the number of pages (76) but when open there is just one blank page.

The document contains embedded tables but I've translated similar documents of a similar size before and never had this problem.

I've tried sending the document to another computer to open with word, and the error message I get on that computer is "Word cannot start the converter mswrd632.wpc"

What am I doing wrong?

Please help!
Collapse

Natalie  Identity Verified
Poland
Local time: 15:25
Member (2002)
English to Russian
+ ...

Moderator of this forum
Hi Kelly Jul 28, 2011

Try using http://smalltips.info/?p=382

Otherwise, please feel free to send me the DOC (or TTX+source file), I'll try to convert/fix the file for you.

Best,
Natalia

Michael Grant
Japan
Local time: 22:25
Japanese to English
Another idea... Jul 29, 2011

Another thing that helps when Word files appear corrupted is to change the extension to .rtf (I assume it is a .doc?).

Then, when you open it again, Word will try to repair it, if it opens, then save the file as .doc again after checking the file for garbled or missing text, etc.

And if it fails, it will usually give you an error message that can be helpful in diagnosing the actual problem...

As always when troubleshooting: make a copy of the file and wor
... See more
Another thing that helps when Word files appear corrupted is to change the extension to .rtf (I assume it is a .doc?).

Then, when you open it again, Word will try to repair it, if it opens, then save the file as .doc again after checking the file for garbled or missing text, etc.

And if it fails, it will usually give you an error message that can be helpful in diagnosing the actual problem...

As always when troubleshooting: make a copy of the file and work on the copy...

MGrant

[Edited at 2011-07-29 01:53 GMT]
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Can't open Word document after converting to final

Advanced search

BaccS – an SDL product
Modern translation business management for freelancers and agencies

BaccS makes it easy for translators to manage their projects, schedule tasks, create invoices, and view highly customizable reports. User-friendly, ProZ.com integration, community-driven development – a few reasons BaccS is trusted by translators!

More info »
PerfectIt consistency checker
Faster Checking, Greater Accuracy

PerfectIt helps deliver error-free documents. It improves consistency, ensures quality and helps to enforce style guides. It’s a powerful tool for pro users, and comes with the assurance of a 30-day money back guarantee.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search