Thread poster: Laure Trads
Laure Trads  Identity Verified
France
Local time: 16:08
Member (2004)
English to French
Jul 28, 2011

Hi,

I am trying to upgrade from Trados 2007 to Trados 2009. I have been trying the following:

- I have converted the client's .tmw TM to a .sdltm TM. As a result, that new .sdltm TM appears in the Translation Memories tab.
- I have opened a ttx file in the Editor.

But now, I cannot save the ttx file as sdlxliff. I get the message "Value cannot be null. Parameter name: collection".
Also, in the Concordance window, it is written "No open translation memory." Which is odd, because my new sdltm TM definitely appears in the Translation Memories tab.

What am I missing please?

Laure

PS: To try the software, I had created a test TM, which I have now deleted. Now, every time I open a new document, Trados says it cannot find that TM. How can I get it to stop pointing at the test TM and point at the client's sdltm TM instead?

[Edited at 2011-07-28 19:26 GMT]

Direct link Reply with quote

Jerzy Czopik  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2003)
Polish to German
+ ...
I am afraid you miss some study of documentation... Jul 28, 2011

Or better training.
The fact you see a TM open in the Translation Memory view does not have any connection with your opened document.
When opening document did you chose the TM?

France
Member (2004)
English to French
TOPIC STARTER
Hi Jerzy Jul 29, 2011

I have solved one of my problems: Trados 2009 trying to find my test TM. I have managed to remove it from the list offered when opening a document.

Then I have tried to re-open the ttx. I did get the option of choosing the TMs. So, I chose the client's TM and a reference TM. But, when I wanted to save the file, I still got the error message "Value cannot be null. Parameter name: collection". If I open that error message, I get:

Value cannot be null. Parameter name: collection
-
System.ArgumentNullException, mscorlib, Version=2.0.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=b77a5c561934e089
collection

mscorlib

I have tried to close the ttx and re-open it but, now, I do not get the option of choosing the TM any more. Even though it is not saved as sdlxliff, it seems linked with some settings.

I am intrigued that you say that the TMs which are shown in the Translation Memories view are not linked to the open file. What are they shown for? Just for look-up?
In that case, where can I see the TM linked to my open file?

Laure

Jerzy Czopik  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2003)
Polish to German
+ ...
TM view is for editing TMs Jul 29, 2011

When opening the TTX you have left "Do not show this dialog again if the language pair settings for the document are known".
The settings fdor your TTX are now available in the Project menu as "Project settings".
Are you sure the TTX is a valid one? Which version of Trados has created the ttx?
Go to the folder where your TTX is stored and delete the subfolder you find there and the file with the ending sdlproj.
Check the TTX if it is valid. If yes, please try to search for the error message you receive on kb.sdl.com
Unfortunately I cannot tell you what is wring and why Studio will not open the ttx.

France
Member (2004)
English to French
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you, Jerzy Jul 29, 2011

I think that the problem came from the fact that I was trying to translate a ttx which I had started translating in Trados 2007.

Thank you for answering my questions.

Laure

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Lost in translation - Trados 2009

Advanced search

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
Déjà Vu X3
Try it, Love it

Find out why Déjà Vu is today the most flexible, customizable and user-friendly tool on the market. See the brand new features in action: *Completely redesigned user interface *Live Preview *Inline spell checking *Inline

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search