How to enter Chinese characters in SDL TRADOS 2009
Thread poster: xxxJill Fu
xxxJill Fu
Local time: 12:13
Chinese to English
+ ...
Jul 29, 2011

Hi everyone,

I'm so new to this program and actually I just downloaded it. I can't seem to type in Chinese characters as my target language. Can anyone point it out somewhere?

Very much appreciate the help!

Jill

Direct link Reply with quote

lethibichly
Vietnam
Local time: 02:13
Chinese to Vietnamese
+ ...
You should manual first Jul 29, 2011

Me new to this program too. You should ask somebody install in the right way and then you should down load the manual and read it.

xxxJill Fu
Chinese to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Tried everything... Jul 29, 2011

Hi again, I tried every button, and I watched teaching videos on the internet and I just CAN'T seem to find where to set the language. Really getting a little frustrated.

What I have right now is a SDL TRADOS 2006 trial. Every time I opened a new document, I'd select source language and target language, but then when I really get to the editing page and want to start translating, in the target language column, I just simply can't type Chinese characters into it.

Only English letters...Help...

SDL Community  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 21:13
English
Correct keyboard? Jul 29, 2011

Hi,

Do you have the correct keyboard set in Windows? If you are using something like

http://www.microsoft.com/china/pinyin/

The keyboard support seems pretty good and I can type with Chinese characters in Studio (and anywhere else) with this Windows support.

Regards

Paul

xxxJill Fu
Chinese to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Can Google Pinyin Keyboard work? Jul 29, 2011

SDL Support wrote:

Hi,

Do you have the correct keyboard set in Windows? If you are using something like

http://www.microsoft.com/china/pinyin/

The keyboard support seems pretty good and I can type with Chinese characters in Studio (and anywhere else) with this Windows support.

Regards

Paul

I have Google Pinyin Keyboard, and it seems to be working everywhere else: my MS word, ... anything, but just not for the Studio...

I was thinking getting a new updated version of TRADOS...?

More suggestions please...

xxxJill Fu
Chinese to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Can anyone recommend a link for downloading a trial TRADOS? Jul 30, 2011

And also, which version of TRADOS do you recommend for me to get started?

I have just taken TRADOS 2009 off my computer, I had trouble with it. Is 5.5 better?

Many thanks, folks!

AlanSmith613
Local time: 03:13
Which chinese IME are you using? Aug 1, 2011

Hi, Are you using Goolge pinyin to type chinese? Sometimes the shortcut of the IME conflict with the shortcut of Trados, so it doesn't work.

Could you please try the other chinese IME like Sogou pinyin or Microsoft Pinyin? If it also doesn't work, would you please uninstall all Chinese keyboard IME and reinstall it?

Thank you. Please try and let me know your inquires.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

How to enter Chinese characters in SDL TRADOS 2009

Advanced search

BaccS – Business Accounting Software
Modern desktop project management for freelance translators

BaccS makes it easy for translators to manage their projects, schedule tasks, create invoices, and view highly customizable reports. User-friendly, ProZ.com integration, community-driven development – a few reasons BaccS is trusted by translators!

More info »
PDF Translation - the Easy Way
TransPDF converts your PDFs to XLIFF ready for professional translation.

TransPDF converts your PDFs to XLIFF ready for professional translation. It also puts your translations back into the PDF to make new PDFs. Quicker and more accurate than hand-editing PDF. Includes free use of Infix PDF Editor with your translated PDFs.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search