WinAlign 'error' problems.
Thread poster: PremierLangu (X)

PremierLangu (X)
United Kingdom
Local time: 01:49
Jul 29, 2011

We are new users of WinAlign and are having some problems with error messages, program crashes etc.

To start off with, no alignment would occur so I reduced the file size dramatically and tested each format.

At present, the maximum file size I seem to be able to align is around 500KB if not a little more.
If I try to import any file bigger in any format other than 'rich text', the program shuts down.

I have spoken to SDL about a maximum word limit and they say there is none.

Has anyone else had this problem or is able to advise me what to do? We deal with very large files and realistically I can't split each file up everytime I need to create a TM.

FarkasAndras
Local time: 02:49
English to Hungarian
+ ...
Large files Jul 29, 2011

PremierLanguage wrote:

Has anyone else had this problem or is able to advise me what to do? We deal with very large files

In that case, you might want to use an aligner that autoaligns text. Winalign has only very basic autoalignment features, i.e. at best, it only makes a very rudimentary guess at which sentence goes with which. Usually it doesn't even try to guess.
There are (paid and free) autoaligners out there which are miles better than WinAlign, and reduce or eliminate the need to proofread.

PremierLangu (X)
United Kingdom
Local time: 01:49
TOPIC STARTER
Compatability with SDL Aug 1, 2011

Thank you Farkas,

Are these programs compatable with Trados in the same way as WinAlign? Can you suggest any?

Are you aware of a word limit or had problems with larger files?

FarkasAndras
Local time: 02:49
English to Hungarian
+ ...
TMX Aug 2, 2011

All reasonably modern aligners can export alignments to TMX, which all reasonably modern CAT tools (including all versions of trados made in the last 5+ years) can read.

Large files are not a problem for the right tool. I've aligned files with 300,000 segments before.
People seem to like (paid) ABBYY Aligner and the one included with MemoQ, and I wrote a free one.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

WinAlign 'error' problems.

Advanced search

memoQ translator pro
Kilgray's memoQ is the world's fastest developing integrated localization & translation environment rendering you more productive and efficient.

With our advanced file filters, unlimited language and advanced file support, memoQ translator pro has been designed for translators and reviewers who work on their own, with other translators or in team-based translation projects.

More info »
WordFinder Unlimited
For clarity and excellence

WordFinder is the leading dictionary service that gives you the words you want anywhere, anytime. Access 260+ dictionaries from the world's leading dictionary publishers in virtually any device. Find the right word anywhere, anytime - online or offline.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search