WinAlign 'error' problems.
Thread poster: xxxPremierLangu
xxxPremierLangu
United Kingdom
Local time: 13:51
Jul 29, 2011

We are new users of WinAlign and are having some problems with error messages, program crashes etc.

To start off with, no alignment would occur so I reduced the file size dramatically and tested each format.

At present, the maximum file size I seem to be able to align is around 500KB if not a little more.
If I try to import any file bigger in any format other than 'rich text', the program shuts down.

I have spoken to SDL about a maximum word limit and they say there is none.

Has anyone else had this problem or is able to advise me what to do? We deal with very large files and realistically I can't split each file up everytime I need to create a TM.

Direct link Reply with quote

FarkasAndras
Local time: 14:51
English to Hungarian
+ ...
Large files Jul 29, 2011

PremierLanguage wrote:

Has anyone else had this problem or is able to advise me what to do? We deal with very large files

In that case, you might want to use an aligner that autoaligns text. Winalign has only very basic autoalignment features, i.e. at best, it only makes a very rudimentary guess at which sentence goes with which. Usually it doesn't even try to guess.
There are (paid and free) autoaligners out there which are miles better than WinAlign, and reduce or eliminate the need to proofread.

xxxPremierLangu
United Kingdom
Local time: 13:51
TOPIC STARTER
Compatability with SDL Aug 1, 2011

Thank you Farkas,

Are these programs compatable with Trados in the same way as WinAlign? Can you suggest any?

Are you aware of a word limit or had problems with larger files?

FarkasAndras
Local time: 14:51
English to Hungarian
+ ...
TMX Aug 2, 2011

All reasonably modern aligners can export alignments to TMX, which all reasonably modern CAT tools (including all versions of trados made in the last 5+ years) can read.

Large files are not a problem for the right tool. I've aligned files with 300,000 segments before.
People seem to like (paid) ABBYY Aligner and the one included with MemoQ, and I wrote a free one.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

WinAlign 'error' problems.

Advanced search

Across v6.3
Translation Toolkit and Sales Potential under One Roof

Apart from features that enable you to translate more efficiently, the new Across Translator Edition v6.3 comprises your crossMarket membership. The new online network for Across users assists you in exploring new sales potential and generating revenue.

More info »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search