MikeTrans
Germany
Local time: 12:28
Member (2005)
Italian to German
+ ...
Jul 30, 2011

Hi,

I have finished a project in Studio SP3, exported the translation, but I have not yet made corrections to new TM entries (removing superflous entries, etc.) and so, not yet updated the Main TM.

What I did after finishing translation and after exporting the translated text was:

I have removed all TMs from the project except my Main TM and the Project TM
I now have defined attributes to be included for the Update.

Is it possible to remove the main TM and replace it with a NEW TM to be updated with the translation, so that I can make corrections in it in the Maintenance menu and import it in the Main TM afterwards? I don't want to deal with corrections after updating my Main TM (too dangerous).

Thanks for any feedback.
Mike

Direct link Reply with quote

Jerzy Czopik  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2003)
Polish to German
+ ...
Why not updating TM with the reviewed files? Jul 30, 2011

This way no maintenance should be necessary.

But if you wish:
- You can take ANY TM into the project to be updated after the translation (however Update TM is ALWAYS made using files)
- You can edit the project TM in TM maintenance and export the content of it to be imported into the main TM

MikeTrans
Germany
Member (2005)
Italian to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
@Jerzy, Jul 30, 2011

thanks for replying. I think I will however update the Main TM, and using a filter to export in a new TM to make changes.

Anyhow, I've noticed that some changes made in the TM entries (present in the Project TM) are not carried over in the Update and are just ignored. In some cases, during the translation, the source text was erroneous, so I've confirmed the segment and have edided the TM entry in the upper TM match window.

I've opened the Project TM to see what it contains: the first time the entries were in a chaotic arrangement (chaotic for me); after doing "Update Project TM", the entire translation will appear in the correct order after some entries taken from the Main TM. I will try to work on the Project TM and see if this will fit my purpose.

In the meantime, no danger: I've made a backup of my Main TM, allowing myself for any "Missetaten" :=)

Again, thanks!
Mike

Cécile Sellier  Identity Verified
France
English to French
+ ...
Main TM vs other TMs Jul 30, 2011

Hi guys,

Just a quick question... I'm rather new to Studio '09... I have been reading about the "Main" TM and am wondering what the difference is between a "Main" TM and any other TM? Is it a technical difference (ie, do you work differently with a Main TM)?

I'm sure the answer will be very simple but I'm a bit confused at the moment !

Thank you !

Cécile

MikeTrans
Germany
Member (2005)
Italian to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
@Cécile, Jul 31, 2011

Hello Cécile,

when you start any project, the default is that for any TM you add to the project, a so-called Project TM is also created. It will be created during the final project's creation steps and also used for filling pre-translation matches. I think this reduces the look-up time during translation.
During translation, any changes to the segments will be updated in the Project TM only (even if you activate "update" for the Main TM).

While it is possible to work without Project TMs, generally you don't want to do so.
After finishing your first review and after QA and Spell-checker of the project you chose "Update Project TM" where you can chose what segments (e.g. Draft) will be updated with your corrections.
At the end, you make "Update Main TM" which will insert all segments of your files to the main TM.

Note:
If you use multiple TMs, you will have to assign the Attributes for the Main TM just before updating Main TM, and taking out all other TMs (except the Project TMs) else (or before) the attributes will not be written in the Main TM.

Mike

[Edited at 2011-07-31 10:11 GMT]

MikeTrans
Germany
Member (2005)
Italian to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
How I've handled the situation above... Jul 31, 2011

Hi,

this is an interesting and time-saving procedure to handle original texts which contains errors in the source language.
Note: In Trados Studio you *cannot* directly handle source segments, so the following procedure makes sense.

Scenario:
1)
The original text has a high number of errors.
Not very common; make modifications / spell check before importing.

2)
The original text has few errors you notice only during translation.
This is the common case, and you don't want to carry over such segments in your Translation Memory.

a)
You cannot edit the source segment, but you can modify the TM entry in the upper window. Confirm the segment, return to the segment and do the modification (right mouse click in the TM entry).

b)
Once finished with your reviewing make the final update of your Main TM.

c)
Remove all TMs from project and load only the Project TM.
In the project folder, make a copy of your original file named FINAL_...
Within the Files view, switch to source language and import this copied file.
Right-mouseclick and chose Batch Tasks > "Prepare Without Project TM"
Set the Pre-translate thereshold to 100% (important!).

d)
Open the new file for review. First you have to filter "Unconfirmed Segments". Now locate the segments with the errors in the source; there will be segments unconfirmed just because the segmentation is different (because you have split or merged those segments in the other document), all the remaining non-100% are the ones with errors in the source. Mark them as rejected with CTRL-SHIFT-ENTER.

e)
Close the document. You will be asked to Confirm all non-rejected segments. Accept.

Now, your document will show only segments that must be corrected in your Main (already updated) Translation memory.
Go in the Maintenance, open your Main TM, locate the segments shown in your opened document and do the changes.

This procedures proves that EDITING SEGMENTS IN THE SOURCE WOULD BE HIGHLY WELCOME!

Greets,
Mike

[Edited at 2011-07-31 12:50 GMT]

SDL Community  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
English
Project TM or Main TM Jul 31, 2011

Cécile Sellier wrote:
I have been reading about the "Main" TM and am wondering what the difference is between a "Main" TM and any other TM? Is it a technical difference (ie, do you work differently with a Main TM)?

Hi Cécile,

Mike explained this nicely, but one reason people work without a Project TM is because they only work with a single file at a time. There is a blog article here that explains this concept and may be useful for you:

Create Project or Open Document : http://tinyurl.com/project-vs-document

Regards

Paul

MikeTrans
Germany
Member (2005)
Italian to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
@Paul, Jul 31, 2011

an interesting article! But I rather wouldn't see the day with *so* many projects in my folder... It's like feeling my clients with a revolver in my back..

Mike

Eileen Cartoon  Identity Verified
Italian to English
one plus about working with a project §TM Jul 31, 2011

Nobody has mentioned this but one very big plus when working with a project TM is that you can't lose your work. For example, if you didn't save for a while and the lights go out. When you open the project again, you will only have the work up to the last save but, as you start working again, whatever you had done will now come up as 100% or context matches. This might make reviewing a bit difficult because you don't really know which segemnts were 100% from the work you did and which from the main TM. However, just make a note of the segment numbers and when you review remember that from xxx to yyy you need to review even if they are matches.

Eileen

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Studio: Question about TMs in a project

Advanced search

BaccS – Business Accounting Software
Modern desktop project management for freelance translators

BaccS makes it easy for translators to manage their projects, schedule tasks, create invoices, and view highly customizable reports. User-friendly, ProZ.com integration, community-driven development – a few reasons BaccS is trusted by translators!

More info »
PDF Translation - the Easy Way
TransPDF converts your PDFs to XLIFF ready for professional translation.

TransPDF converts your PDFs to XLIFF ready for professional translation. It also puts your translations back into the PDF to make new PDFs. Quicker and more accurate than hand-editing PDF. Includes free use of Infix PDF Editor with your translated PDFs.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search