Placeable Date in Arabic Source Text Gives Me Hijri Version
Thread poster: William Tierney

William Tierney  Identity Verified
Local time: 08:54
Member (2002)
Arabic to English
Jul 30, 2011

I have an Arabic to English job with the dates in the source document showing as DD/MM/YYYY. When I try to place this in the target segment, SDL Studio 2009 SP3 9.1.2283.6 converts the date to Hijri, so I get a date like 11/5/2571.

I have looked at language resources and the TM settings to see about a box to uncheck, but haven't found anything. I have tried checking and unchecking "recognize dates" in the TM Settings, but it hasn't made any difference.

Thanks for your help.

Direct link Reply with quote

Halil Ibrahim Tutuncuoglu "Бёcäטsع Լîfe's cômplicåtعd eñøugh"
Turkey
Local time: 16:54
Turkish to English
+ ...
It may not be Hijri Jul 30, 2011

William Tierney wrote:

I have an Arabic to English job with the dates in the source document showing as DD/MM/YYYY. When I try to place this in the target segment, SDL Studio 2009 SP3 9.1.2283.6 converts the date to Hijri, so I get a date like 11/5/2571.

I have looked at language resources and the TM settings to see about a box to uncheck, but haven't found anything. I have tried checking and unchecking "recognize dates" in the TM Settings, but it hasn't made any difference.

Thanks for your help.

because the first year of Hijri calender was the year during which the emigration of the Islamic prophet Muhammad from Mecca to Medina, known as the Hijra which occurred in A.D. 622 and the current Islamic year is 1432 AH, from approximately 7 December 2010 (evening) to 26 November 2011 (evening).

Good luck,

İbrahim

[Edited at 2011-07-30 20:02 GMT]

Member (2002)
Arabic to English
TOPIC STARTER
The Date shouldn't Change Jul 30, 2011

Dear Ibrahim,

Thanks for your help. I am aware of the origins of the Hijri calendar. The problem is that the program takes the date in the Arabic source document (which is miladi) and converts it to Hijri. I checked this against an Islamic data converter. I put in the Gregorian data as though it were a Hijri date, and the "Gregorian" result with a date in the twenty-fifth century . . .

Okay, now that you are back in the present, the problem is the program reads whatever date is in the source document as though it were Hijri, and as you know, Gregorian dates are commonly used in Arabic documents (outside of KSA). There needs to be a toggle to tell the program to transfer the dates as is, and not convert them.

Hi SDL Tech Support, this is your que!

xxxmediamatrix
Local time: 10:54
Spanish to English
+ ...
@William Jul 31, 2011

Sorry, William, but it must be your fault, not SDL's, that this doesn't work as it should.

MediaMatrix

Member (2002)
Arabic to English
TOPIC STARTER
Continue to Wait for Assistance Jul 31, 2011

Dear Media,

Thank you for your input. I will continue to wait for replies.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Placeable Date in Arabic Source Text Gives Me Hijri Version

Advanced search

memoQ translator pro
Kilgray's memoQ is the world's fastest developing integrated localization & translation environment rendering you more productive and efficient.

With our advanced file filters, unlimited language and advanced file support, memoQ translator pro has been designed for translators and reviewers who work on their own, with other translators or in team-based translation projects.

More info »
LSP.expert
You’re a freelance translator? LSP.expert helps you manage your daily translation jobs. It’s easy, fast and secure.

How about you start tracking translation jobs and sending invoices in minutes? You can also manage your clients and generate reports about your business activities. So you always keep a clear view on your planning, AND you get a free 30 day trial period!

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search