Auto-localization of numbers when using "copy source"
Thread poster: George Cook

George Cook
United Kingdom
Local time: 10:48
French to English
+ ...
Aug 1, 2011

Does anyone know of a way of getting numbers in a paragraph, which are recognised as placeables, to auto-localize when simply copying source to target on a segment-by-segment basis?

The paragraphs in question are about 3 lines long, and consist entirely of comma-separated strings of letters and decimal numbers. All the decimal numbers are recognised as placeables, and are auto-localized when inserted using the quickplace function (ie. the decimal "," in German is changed to a decimal "."). There is no translation at all required in these segments, so having to re-insert all the localized decimals in every one is rather time consuming. Surely, if they are recognized as placeables, it should be possible to tweak a setting somewhere and have them automatically changed when copied to target...

I've looked in vain everywhere I can think of for a solution, but I can't seem to find one!

(SDL Trados Studio 2009 SP3 on Windows 7)

Direct link Reply with quote

Hna
Local time: 12:48
English to Russian
Can Word macros help? Aug 1, 2011

There is the macros for Word, which can replace comma in numbers into dot or vice versa. Can it help?

George Cook
United Kingdom
French to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Yes, but in Studio would be better Aug 1, 2011

Hna wrote:

There is the macros for Word, which can replace comma in numbers into dot or vice versa. Can it help?

Almost certainly, yes. The problem is that our workflow does not allow for any of the editing to be carried out in Word. We are currently doing a find/replace using regular expressions in Studio to get around this problem, but it seems bizarre to me that the functionality does not exist in Studio, as the technology is clearly there to identify the localizable parts, and indeed to change them automatically...

SDL Community  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 11:48
English
It would be a good enhancement... Aug 1, 2011

... and it is on the product backlog to do this. Being able to copy and paste, with the paste localizing the placeables would be good.

I guess your workflow is to localise all the placeables first and leave the translator to deal with the text alone?

Currently you would have to allow the translator to deal with these too by using Quickplace. There are quite a few ways to select the localizable placeables as you work and the QA checker will pick up any that were missed as part of your review.

Sticking to the keyboard you can use ctrl+comma to get a list of the placeables to choose from for each segment, or you can use ctrl+alt+up/down/left/right to pick the one you need quite quickly. Maybe the latter would be a useful solution for you?

I have seen examples of where you have so many that a localized copy source to target would be a real advantage, but for now these... or the search and replace solution... are your best bets.

Regards

Paul

George Cook
United Kingdom
French to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
As I suspected Aug 1, 2011

Thanks for the reply, Paul. I had pretty much expected that this was the case. Hopefully one day the backlog will be cleared, and everyone will have the little tools that they want for their specific individual needs. In the meantime, find & replace it is...

St.Clair Consulting
Danish to German
+ ...
Same problem Jan 10, 2012

Has this been "fixed" yet? The odd thing is that automatic replacement came as standard in SDLX 2007 - on creating/opening the file, all decimal separators were automatically localised.

George Cook
United Kingdom
French to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Not fixed Jan 10, 2012

This issue is not fixed yet, and, as it's on the product backlog, I doubt it will be any time soon. There are an enormous number of things that the SDL developers are working their way through; this probably won't appear until a much later service pack or, more likely, the next full release.

SDL's wheels of Trados grind exceeding slow...

St.Clair Consulting
Danish to German
+ ...
Trados support Jan 12, 2012

George Cook wrote:

This issue is not fixed yet, and, as it's on the product backlog, I doubt it will be any time soon. There are an enormous number of things that the SDL developers are working their way through; this probably won't appear until a much later service pack or, more likely, the next full release.

SDL's wheels of Trados grind exceeding slow...

I spoke to someone at SDL and apparently she was able to achieve auto-substitution - unless, of course, she was referring to something else.

Surely, Trados should be capable of altering a simple 100.000 in German to 100,000 in English - automatically - as was the case under SDLX 2007.

Perhaps the problem described here is unique to my system set-up?

George Cook
United Kingdom
French to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Not unique Jan 13, 2012

St.Clair Consulting wrote:

I spoke to someone at SDL and apparently she was able to achieve auto-substitution - unless, of course, she was referring to something else.

Surely, Trados should be capable of altering a simple 100.000 in German to 100,000 in English - automatically - as was the case under SDLX 2007.

Perhaps the problem described here is unique to my system set-up?

No, it's not unique at all. You appear to have exactly the same problem as we do; when you copy the source segment to the target, the numbers are not auto-localised. And this is not a bug, but neither is it a feature; it's simply a non-entity. They clearly never thought of this during development. As you see from SDL's reply above, they think this would be a good idea, and will doubtless implement it at some point, but I suspect it will be a long time coming; there are far more fundamental bug fixes etc. that they need to sort out far more urgently.

Kerstin Kiss
English to German
Fixed? Nov 30, 2013

Has this been fixed in the 2014 version? I am dealing with lots of numbers. Last time my text had about 10,000 words numbers only, I had to localize them manually SDLX was so much better ... Did this automatically

Abrigela
Hungarian to English
+ ...
Use the SDLXLIFF Toolkit Dec 1, 2013

Hello Kerstin,

We started using this new application available, and it costs nothing, on the SDL OpenExchange for handling number only segments because it's much faster than autopropagation and because you can copy to target, change the format and lock them in a couple of simple and quick steps. You can do this across the whole project before you start and in 2014 you get to leave them out of the analysis too. I think I like this solution better than handling them in the document anyway. It's much faster and I don't have to deal with them at all after they are locked.

Abrigela.

LuxTranslations  Identity Verified
Luxembourg
Member (2011)
German to French
+ ...
same issue in SDL Studio 2015 Jul 14, 2016

Hi,

I'd like Studio to localize numbers automatically (i.e. "5.1" to "5,1") in every segment (not only in number-only segmentst), but how do I do this?

Thanks
Caroline

Roy Oestensen  Identity Verified
Norway
Member (2010)
English to Norwegian (Bokmal)
+ ...
May lead to problems Jul 14, 2016

I don't know if I can tell you offhand, but I can see a problem if Studio localise the decimal character automatically.

In Norwegian we use comma as the decimal character, but bullet points should have a period. For instance:

1.2 Installation -> 1.2 Montering (and definitely not 1,2 Montering)

But of course, if most of the numbers are in a table, it definitely would be time saving to have periods converted to commas. I just thought I'd point out the risk.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Auto-localization of numbers when using "copy source"

Advanced search

WordFinder Unlimited
For clarity and excellence

WordFinder is the leading dictionary service that gives you the words you want anywhere, anytime. Access 260+ dictionaries from the world's leading dictionary publishers in virtually any device. Find the right word anywhere, anytime - online or offline.

More info »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search