Fernando Presumido  Identity Verified
Argentina
Local time: 21:38
Member (2008)
Japanese to Spanish
+ ...
Aug 2, 2011

Hi all!

Though I've bought a license for Trados 2009 long time ago, this is the first time ever I've come to use it. A regular client sent me a project package with .wsxz extension. I was requested to send back a return package after completing all the translations. I tried to creat it but, much to my suprise, the return package size is only 28 Kb. Something is going wrong, I said to myself. Then I tried to re-open the package, and the following mssg came up: "Object reference not set to an instance of an object". I have to say that I received no message errors when creating the package.

Additional data:

Version: SDL Trados Studio SP3 - 9.1.2229.0
OS: WIndows XP 2002 SP3 running in Oracle VM VirtualBox

Thank you very much,

Fernando

Direct link Reply with quote

Argentina
Member (2008)
Japanese to Spanish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Updated Trados - No success Aug 2, 2011

I have run un update of Trados Studio SP3 to v.9.1.2283.6. Then I tried to creat a return package again but nothing has changed. I would appreciate very much your suggestions about this.

Eileen Cartoon  Identity Verified
Local time: 02:38
Italian to English
maybe it was the way you opened the package Aug 2, 2011

The first time I did a package with Studio 2009 I had a similar problem. I guess I didn't open it exactly correctly (I think I opened the file and not the package) so it was not possible to send a return package.

What I did was, go back to the original package. Copy it into another folder, open it again and apply the project TM from the first. This gave me practically a completely 100% match translation. I adjusted whatever did not match because of joining of segments. then I created the return package with this and it worked just fine.

I did, however, explain to the studio I was working for so they wouldn't be surprise by all those 100% matches.

Hope this helps
Eileen

Argentina
Member (2008)
Japanese to Spanish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
more details Aug 2, 2011

Dear Eileen,

I found the tip you gave to another user here: http://www.proz.com/forum/sdl_trados_support/203879-object_reference_not_set_to_an_instance_of_an_object.html and applied it. Then I created a new package (which still is a small size file) and sent it to my PM. Now she cannot open it and she gets the very first error mssg I got, "Object reference not set to an instance of an object". So I suggested her to do as I did (erasing files and so on), but she could not open the package anyway.

At this moment, I cannot tell where the error resides, whether I have created a good return package but she cannot opent it because of an internal error (her side) or my return packahge is still faulty.

Thank you,

Fernando

PS: I came up with the same workaround you have just proposed - I have sent her the new package file. I hope she could open it.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Error when creating Return Package in Trados Studio 2009 SP3

Advanced search

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
PDF Translation - the Easy Way
TransPDF converts your PDFs to XLIFF ready for professional translation.

TransPDF converts your PDFs to XLIFF ready for professional translation. It also puts your translations back into the PDF to make new PDFs. Quicker and more accurate than hand-editing PDF. Includes free use of Infix PDF Editor with your translated PDFs.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search