Fernando Presumido  Identity Verified
Argentina
Local time: 04:43
Member (2008)
Japanese to Spanish
+ ...
Aug 2, 2011

Hi all!

Though I've bought a license for Trados 2009 long time ago, this is the first time ever I've come to use it. A regular client sent me a project package with .wsxz extension. I was requested to send back a return package after completing all the translations. I tried to creat it but, much to my suprise, the return package size is only 28 Kb. Something is going wrong, I said to myself. Then I tried to re-open the package, and the following mssg came up: "Object reference not set to an instance of an object". I have to say that I received no message errors when creating the package.

Additional data:

Version: SDL Trados Studio SP3 - 9.1.2229.0
OS: WIndows XP 2002 SP3 running in Oracle VM VirtualBox

Thank you very much,

Fernando

Argentina
Member (2008)
Japanese to Spanish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Updated Trados - No success Aug 2, 2011

I have run un update of Trados Studio SP3 to v.9.1.2283.6. Then I tried to creat a return package again but nothing has changed. I would appreciate very much your suggestions about this.

Eileen Cartoon  Identity Verified
Local time: 08:43
Italian to English
maybe it was the way you opened the package Aug 2, 2011

The first time I did a package with Studio 2009 I had a similar problem. I guess I didn't open it exactly correctly (I think I opened the file and not the package) so it was not possible to send a return package.

What I did was, go back to the original package. Copy it into another folder, open it again and apply the project TM from the first. This gave me practically a completely 100% match translation. I adjusted whatever did not match because of joining of segments. then I created the return package with this and it worked just fine.

I did, however, explain to the studio I was working for so they wouldn't be surprise by all those 100% matches.

Hope this helps
Eileen

Argentina
Member (2008)
Japanese to Spanish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
more details Aug 2, 2011

Dear Eileen,

I found the tip you gave to another user here: http://www.proz.com/forum/sdl_trados_support/203879-object_reference_not_set_to_an_instance_of_an_object.html and applied it. Then I created a new package (which still is a small size file) and sent it to my PM. Now she cannot open it and she gets the very first error mssg I got, "Object reference not set to an instance of an object". So I suggested her to do as I did (erasing files and so on), but she could not open the package anyway.

At this moment, I cannot tell where the error resides, whether I have created a good return package but she cannot opent it because of an internal error (her side) or my return packahge is still faulty.

Thank you,

Fernando

PS: I came up with the same workaround you have just proposed - I have sent her the new package file. I hope she could open it.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Error when creating Return Package in Trados Studio 2009 SP3

Advanced search

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use SDL Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

More info »
PerfectIt consistency checker
Faster Checking, Greater Accuracy

PerfectIt helps deliver error-free documents. It improves consistency, ensures quality and helps to enforce style guides. It’s a powerful tool for pro users, and comes with the assurance of a 30-day money back guarantee.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search