Thread poster: Paoamsterdam
Paoamsterdam
Italy
Local time: 03:39
English to Italian
+ ...
Aug 2, 2011

Hi,

I'm trying to learn sdl trados, I'dlike to know how to create a new empty termbase when loading a single-file project . Thnx

Direct link Reply with quote

Jerzy Czopik  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2003)
Polish to German
+ ...
You can do so easily in Multiterm Aug 2, 2011

While in SDL Trados Studio creating a termbase is not possible.
So before you start using a termbase in project creation, start Multiterm and use the wizard there to create a termbase from scratch. You can also chose some predefined termbase definitions - maybe it will be then even easier.

Paoamsterdam
Italy
English to Italian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you Aug 2, 2011

Thank you for your very prompt response and clearness!

Nora Diaz  Identity Verified
Mexico
Local time: 19:39
Member (2002)
English to Spanish
+ ...
Translation Memory vs Termbase Aug 2, 2011

I think there could be some confusion here.

A termbase is a glossary where you enter terms that you want to use for a particular project. As Jerzy has explained, this is not done in Studio, but rather in Multiterm. So you create your termbase (glossary) in Multiterm, then use it in Studio.

A translation memory (TM) is what stores your translations, segment by segment (a segment is usually a sentence, but not always). Translation memories are created in Studio.

To create a new TM in Studio, you can choose the Translation Memories tab on the bottom left part of the Studio workspace, then choose File-->New.

Paoamsterdam
Italy
English to Italian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Question about termbase Aug 2, 2011

Hi Nora,

no confusion, I have no problem with the translation memory itself but with the termbase, by reading info about it I couldn't make up if I can create the termbase myself or it is something that must be provided by client in the first place, if you could let me know how to create a termbase (glossary) step by step that would help. I have multiterm installed but I can't create the termbase, all kind of files extensions ar enot recognized...

Thanks

Mexico
Member (2002)
English to Spanish
+ ...
If the client does not provide it, you can make one Aug 2, 2011

Sometimes clients will send you a termbase, sometimes they won't. And even if they do, you may want to make your own.

You can create an empty termbase that you feed as you work, or you can import bilingual glossary files from Excel, for example.

I'll be happy to help, which one do you want to do?

Jerzy Czopik  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2003)
Polish to German
+ ...
Creeate an Excel table with two colums for languages Aug 2, 2011

and enter them some few terms (they can be even as obvious as "blue" or "yellow") with theit translation in your target language.
Download
this description
and use MT Convert to create a termbase.
This description is valid for Multiterm 2007, but MT 2009 is very similar, so I hope using this and the help you will be able to create a termbase very quickly.

Mexico
Member (2002)
English to Spanish
+ ...
Detailed instructions with screenshots Aug 3, 2011

You can find detailed instructions (with screenshots) to use Multiterm 2009 for creating a termbase, converting an Excel glossary and importing it to your termbase and using the resulting termbase in Studio here:

http://noradiaz.blogspot.com/2011/08/how-to-create-multiterm-termbase-to-use.html

Hope it helps,

Nora

Paoamsterdam
Italy
English to Italian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
termbase Aug 3, 2011

Hi,

I checked the link, unfortunately the screens are not visible to me but I ll try to follow the steps, thank you again!

Mexico
Member (2002)
English to Spanish
+ ...
Fixed images Aug 3, 2011

Hi,

I've fixed the screenshots and hopefully you'll be able to see them now.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

creating a termbase from scratch in sdl trados 2009

Advanced search

Déjà Vu X3
Try it, Love it

Find out why Déjà Vu is today the most flexible, customizable and user-friendly tool on the market. See the brand new features in action: *Completely redesigned user interface *Live Preview *Inline spell checking *Inline

More info »
BaccS – Business Accounting Software
Modern desktop project management for freelance translators

BaccS makes it easy for translators to manage their projects, schedule tasks, create invoices, and view highly customizable reports. User-friendly, ProZ.com integration, community-driven development – a few reasons BaccS is trusted by translators!

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search