Creating a Multiterm base from XLIFF (or QTLinguist)
Thread poster: Jacques DP

Jacques DP  Identity Verified
Switzerland
Local time: 19:58
Member (2003)
English to French
Aug 2, 2011

Hello there,

I have some terminology that was translated with QTLInguist. I would like to create a Multiterm 2009 termbase out of it. QTLinguist has its own format (ts) but also exports to PO (GNU Gettext) and XLIFF. What would be the best way to go from XLIFF to a Multiterm termbase? XLIFF is not listed in Multiterm Convert, nor is it an acceptable file type when importing data into a termbase.

Thank you.

Direct link Reply with quote

Switzerland
Member (2003)
English to French
TOPIC STARTER
More precise question Aug 2, 2011

I saved as XLIFF, downloaded and installed the "SDLX LIFF Converter for Microsoft Office", opened the XLIFF in Studio, saved as SDLXLIFF, ran the SDLX LIFF Converter, added the SDLXLIFF file, hit Convert, and here is what I get:

(The idea was to create a termbase from Excel with Multiterm Convert.)

By the way I use English for UI in Studio, and the UI in this tool is also in English, but for some reason this error message is in French. It doesn't help searching for solution when one gets error messages.

[Edited at 2011-08-02 11:51 GMT]

Switzerland
Member (2003)
English to French
TOPIC STARTER
Solved Aug 2, 2011

I needed a quick fix so I used copy-paste from Studio to Word which produced weird results that I had to manually arrange. Then later on I received a message from Ian of Trados which kindly pointed out to me that the installation of some Microsoft package was required before the Converter could be made to work, which is in fact indicated in http://www.sdl.com/en/language-technology/sdl-openexchange/AppDetails.aspx?appid=2 if you look well. I tried that and it worked fine. (Maybe the app could check if
OpenXML SDL 2.0 is installed and reporte that it's not if needed?) Thanks Ian!

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Creating a Multiterm base from XLIFF (or QTLinguist)

Advanced search

Déjà Vu X3
Try it, Love it

Find out why Déjà Vu is today the most flexible, customizable and user-friendly tool on the market. See the brand new features in action: *Completely redesigned user interface *Live Preview *Inline spell checking *Inline

More info »
PerfectIt consistency checker
Faster Checking, Greater Accuracy

PerfectIt helps deliver error-free documents. It improves consistency, ensures quality and helps to enforce style guides. It’s a powerful tool for pro users, and comes with the assurance of a 30-day money back guarantee.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search