Pavel Tsvetkov  Identity Verified
Bulgaria
Local time: 14:57
Member (2008)
English to Bulgarian
+ ...

Aug 3, 2011

Hi All,

Here is what I am trying to do. I need a simple Excel table with two columns, the left column should contain the source term, the right column - the target term. I have Studio v2009 the latest build as of 2011-08-03 and Microsoft Office v2007 installed.

I do not need any additional data, although the termbase created with Multiterm 8.5 does create the default fields: Source, Context, Note, etc. most or all of them are empty though. I do not need this data or any
... See more
Hi All,

Here is what I am trying to do. I need a simple Excel table with two columns, the left column should contain the source term, the right column - the target term. I have Studio v2009 the latest build as of 2011-08-03 and Microsoft Office v2007 installed.

I do not need any additional data, although the termbase created with Multiterm 8.5 does create the default fields: Source, Context, Note, etc. most or all of them are empty though. I do not need this data or any other columns, because I will be using this simple Excel table as a source for the creation of a dictionary in yet another software (not a CAT tool) that cannot process it if there are more columns or terms are listed horizontally (as they normally are in an XML export from the Multiterm: at least they were when I tried).

Exporting to XML, opening in Excel and saving as an Excel table does not leave the unneeded stuff out (and most importantly source and target are listed one under the other, that is in the same column, so it serves no purpose), so do not propose it unless you have additional information.

Kind regards,
Collapse

Nora Diaz  Identity Verified
Mexico
Local time: 05:57
Member (2002)
English to Spanish
+ ...
Edit an export definition Aug 3, 2011

Hi Pavel,

I made two short videos showing how to do this.

http://noradiaz.blogspot.com/2011/08/exporting-terms-only-from-multiterm.html

Hope that helps!

Nora

Pavel Tsvetkov  Identity Verified
Bulgaria
Local time: 14:57
Member (2008)
English to Bulgarian
+ ...

TOPIC STARTER
Thanks, Nora! Aug 4, 2011

Great post - it worked!

Kirill Zhark (X)
termsynonym Aug 31, 2011

thanks Nora!
i followed your advice and managed to create a term-only glossary in excel, but somehow i get my terms and their synonyms "glued" together in excel...

example: displaymonitor

where "display" is a main term and "monitor" is its synonym.

is there a way to have them separately?

i used an option to add synonyms separately, but got the following results:

"displaymonitor" as main term
"monitordispla
... See more
thanks Nora!
i followed your advice and managed to create a term-only glossary in excel, but somehow i get my terms and their synonyms "glued" together in excel...

example: displaymonitor

where "display" is a main term and "monitor" is its synonym.

is there a way to have them separately?

i used an option to add synonyms separately, but got the following results:

"displaymonitor" as main term
"monitordisplay" as synonym

the problem remains....

any help is appreciated!
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

How to export *terms only* from Multiterm 8 data base to an Excel table

Advanced search

PerfectIt consistency checker
Faster Checking, Greater Accuracy

PerfectIt helps deliver error-free documents. It improves consistency, ensures quality and helps to enforce style guides. It’s a powerful tool for pro users, and comes with the assurance of a 30-day money back guarantee.

More info »
BaccS – an SDL product
Modern translation business management for freelancers and agencies

BaccS makes it easy for translators to manage their projects, schedule tasks, create invoices, and view highly customizable reports. User-friendly, ProZ.com integration, community-driven development – a few reasons BaccS is trusted by translators!

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search