Pages in topic:   [1 2] >
Trados Studio 2009 - First impressions
Thread poster: Paul Carmichael

Paul Carmichael  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 03:21
Spanish to English
Aug 4, 2011

I was managing well with OmegaT and quite liked it, but it seems that the "industry standard" is Trados and one simply *must* have it.

First of all: Blimey, it's expensive. The whole pricing/licensing thing seems stuck in the 1970s.

I got a discount - thank goodness.

Second - I had to install Windows XP in VirtualBox because I'm a linux user.

Third - I had to spend 300€ upgrading the PC as Trados is mighty hungry. And slow.

Fourth - Once installed my XP wouldn't shut down. After much research, I found that the culprit was Synergy. I removed it from the startup group.

Fifth - It seems that some of the "features" of Trados aren't native, so I had to install MS Office 2007.

Sixth - I started using it on an existing project, to get a feel for it.

Never mind the numbers, I'll just waffle now. One can't change the segmentation rules globally, so in my Spanish texts, Dr., Dra. are breaking segments. Also, this particular text has a lot of colons, which also break segments. It appears that segmentation rules can be changed on individual TMs. For this project, I've imported 8 TMs. And it's not trivial. I did like that in OmegaT one could set global preferences per language.

Talking of TMs, where is the "global" TM? I noticed that one of the imported TMs was getting segments added to it from the current translation. Is this default behaviour?

So, there's one global TM. Personally, I'd like to have a TM per client/project type.

And backing up - although I have a cron job backing up the project directory every hour, I presume I need to backup the "global TM" and the termbases? I don't even know where they are. Can one not specify that they have to be on a partition shared with the host OS? This would make maintenance easier.

Ah well, off to play a bit more and maybe I'll add to this later.

Paul.

Direct link Reply with quote

Selcuk Akyuz  Identity Verified
Turkey
Local time: 05:21
Member (2006)
English to Turkish
+ ...
Industry standard Aug 4, 2011

Paul Carmichael wrote:

I was managing well with OmegaT and quite liked it, but it seems that the "industry standard" is Trados and one simply *must* have it.

"Industry standard", if any, could be Trados 2007 (aka Trados Workbench), not SDL Trados Studio 2009 or the new 2011.

Selcuk

Luca Tutino  Identity Verified
Italy
Local time: 21:21
Member (2002)
English to Italian
+ ...
Not positive Aug 4, 2011

Selcuk Akyuz wrote:

Paul Carmichael wrote:

"Industry standard", if any, could be Trados 2007 (aka Trados Workbench), not SDL Trados Studio 2009 or the new 2011.

Selcuk

Well catched. Trados 2009 is not much closer to Trados 2007 than many other available products.

As already pointed out in this forum, after upgrading from Trados 2007 I have lost several business days and opportunities due to the need of activating, repairing, fixing, re-registering, workingaround etc. on 2009. At the moment it looks like it is working ok, but it is not much of an improvement and I am expecting the next flaw any moment...

And I am terrified that SDL might soon try to void my 2007 licence, as stated in their 2009 licensing documentation.

Luca

MikeTrans
Germany
Italian to German
+ ...
VirtualBox ?!! Aug 4, 2011

Paul,

do i understand that well? You are running Studio on a system in an emulated XP mode?
If you succeed sustaining that without too much Studio errors, then you will write computer history
Tell me if you the Multiterm in Studio will show up!

Good luck,
Mike

Spain
Spanish to English
TOPIC STARTER
Virtualbox works Aug 4, 2011

MikeTrans wrote:

do i understand that well? You are running Studio on a system in an emulated XP mode?
If you succeed sustaining that without too much Studio errors, then you will write computer history
Tell me if you the Multiterm in Studio will show up!

Good luck,
Mike

It runs fine, as does everything in Virtualbox. It's not emulated, it's a virtual machine running a genuine (paid-for) copy of XP. And MS Office, JRE etc. I also have W7 in another virtual machine and several flavours of linux.

Multiterm works fine as well.

MikeTrans
Germany
Italian to German
+ ...
@Paul, Aug 4, 2011

Paul,

thanks for this feedback. I'll have to learn more about this interesting tool, maybe I can now make a lot of my XP-compatible (and before) apps run in Windows 7.

Mike

[Edited at 2011-08-04 19:40 GMT]

Spain
Spanish to English
TOPIC STARTER
The web page for virtualbox. Aug 4, 2011

MikeTrans wrote:

Paul,

thanks for this feedback. I'll have to learn more about this interesting tool, maybe I can now make a lot of my XP-compatible (and before) apps run in Windows 7.

Mike

[Edited at 2011-08-04 19:40 GMT]

http://www.virtualbox.org/

Have fun.

Not in Windows 7, in XP under Windows 7 or linux like I do.

Jerzy Czopik  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2003)
Polish to German
+ ...
All your choice and the files are always where you put them Aug 4, 2011

[quote]Paul Carmichael wrote:
First of all: Blimey, it's expensive. The whole pricing/licensing thing seems stuck in the 1970s.

Really? Well, ever seen pricing policies by Transit or MemoQ, to quote the direct competitors? Or did you maybe see the price for InDesign or QuarkXPress.
All is relative, the price too.

I got a discount - thank goodness.

Not that easy for InDesign

Studio was never designed for anything else than Windows.
TBH I do not really wonder, provided the comments I do read here and there... For many users a simple PC seems to be beyond any capability.

Third - I had to spend 300€ upgrading the PC as Trados is mighty hungry. And slow.

That's well invested money. The coming Studio 2011 is much faster.

Fourth - Once installed my XP wouldn't shut down. After much research, I found that the culprit was Synergy. I removed it from the startup group.

In fact well known bug. And you do not need Synergy at all.

Fifth - It seems that some of the "features" of Trados aren't native, so I had to install MS Office 2007.

If you are referring to Real Time Preview, so it is no wonder - the file is being opened in Word in the background to show you exactly the layout in Word. So you need Word to have it, indeed.

Sixth - I started using it on an existing project, to get a feel for it.

Never mind the numbers, I'll just waffle now. One can't change the segmentation rules globally, so in my Spanish texts, Dr., Dra. are breaking segments. Also, this particular text has a lot of colons, which also break segments. It appears that segmentation rules can be changed on individual TMs. For this project, I've imported 8 TMs. And it's not trivial. I did like that in OmegaT one could set global preferences per language.

Similar feature exists in Studio and is called Language Resources.
And you can easily remove colons from the segmentation rules. However you indeed need to modify the translation memories.

Talking of TMs, where is the "global" TM? I noticed that one of the imported TMs was getting segments added to it from the current translation. Is this default behaviour?

The first TM in the list is considered "main" and getting updated during the translation. Updating multiple TMs makes no sense at this stage. After the translation has been done you can update as many TMs with it as you wish.
And yes, this is by design.

So, there's one global TM. Personally, I'd like to have a TM per client/project type.

You can have anything you wish anywhere you wish. It is your choice, not the choice of the program.

And backing up - although I have a cron job backing up the project directory every hour, I presume I need to backup the "global TM" and the termbases? I don't even know where they are. Can one not specify that they have to be on a partition shared with the host OS? This would make maintenance easier.

Place the files wherever you want, it is your choice.
Only the file containing the list of your projects (it is called Projects.xml) must and the project templates should remain in My Documents. In case of project templates this makes the access of those easy, in case of Projects.xml this is the default location. TBH I do not know how to change it or if it is even possible.

Spain
Spanish to English
TOPIC STARTER
RE: Virtualbox Aug 4, 2011

[quote]Jerzy Czopik wrote:

Paul Carmichael wrote:

Studio was never designed for anything else than Windows.
TBH I do not really wonder, provided the comments I do read here and there... For many users a simple PC seems to be beyond any capability.

I don't understand what you're saying. I am running Studio under Windows, just in a virtual machine. Do you not understand that? But it is very resource hungry. I think it will struggle to run on a low spec machine. Which seems odd for a programme that isn't doing a vast amount of processing. Nobody cares about efficiency any more. When I was a programmer, we had to think about individual clock cycles - most modern programmers don't know what a clock cycle is.

Jumpers for goalposts. Policemen look younger every day etc.

David Turner  Identity Verified
French to English
+ ...
If anything's stuck in the past... Aug 5, 2011

Paul Carmichael wrote:
... it seems that the "industry standard" is Trados and one simply *must* have it.

... that's it.

[Edited at 2011-08-05 06:55 GMT]

Jerzy Czopik  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2003)
Polish to German
+ ...
Using Linux is only something for ambitioned professionalists Aug 5, 2011

and this is exactly what I wanted to say.
Studio was designed for mainstream in Windows. I cannot say if it is good or bad, but the majority of users are using Windows.
And what I also wanted to say is, that I do not wonder SDL did not try to develop Studio for Linux, as already many PC users are beyond their capability when it comes to use Windows and Studio together. So I don't think they should try Linux...

Spain
Spanish to English
TOPIC STARTER
Trados under linux - not a requirement Aug 5, 2011

Jerzy Czopik wrote:

and this is exactly what I wanted to say.
Studio was designed for mainstream in Windows. I cannot say if it is good or bad, but the majority of users are using Windows.
And what I also wanted to say is, that I do not wonder SDL did not try to develop Studio for Linux, as already many PC users are beyond their capability when it comes to use Windows and Studio together. So I don't think they should try Linux...

Heh. My wife uses linux every day. The programs that she uses don't even know that they're running on linux.

I just installed Ubuntu linux for a numpty friend that keeps getting caught out by malware. As he browses the web with FireFox, he won't even notice that he's using linux.

Trados uses JRE and could easily be ported to linux. If SDL think the market share isn't worth the extra expense and testing outlay, then so be it. Their choice. It runs fine in VirtualBox anyway. Perhaps OmegaT will gain lots of market share. I've only bought Trados because I felt pressured to. Having said that, I'm kind of growing to like it.

You're wrong about the linux user base. Here in Spain, where there is great reluctance to spend money, it's very popular because it's free. In my office I have 2 desktop PCs, 3 servers and various routers etc all running different flavours of linux. I couldn't afford to replace them all with MS products, nor would I want to. It all just works

Oh, and the Spanish government recently gave netbook computers to all the schoolkids. Every one of them runs linux. So the kids are going to grow up with it.

Linux requires a certain amount of expertise when it comes to hardware, mostly because of lack of support from vendors. But things like printers can be networked anyway (mine is attached to a NSLU2 running - you've guessed it - Debian linux)

Spain
Spanish to English
TOPIC STARTER
I said I'd report back... Aug 5, 2011

Paul Carmichael wrote:

Ah well, off to play a bit more and maybe I'll add to this later.

Paul.

Ok. I've "re-done" a 10000 word translation with my imported OmegaT TMs.

I can live with the segmentation problem. As long as it's consistent, then TMs produced with Trados will work fine - it just means slightly more work. But of course, more segments = more matches.

Most of the editing I had to do was caused by the formatting tags in the OmegaT TMs. I just had to delete most of them.

I have my MS Office installation working, so preview mode works now.

My doubts about TMs were unfounded, as I can do exactly the same in Trados as I did in OmegaT ie; have client-specific TMs or TMs specific to one field etc. Same with termbases. I can have as many as I like in different places.

If that sounds too positive, I'll try and find something else to complain about.

Oh yes, its horribly slow.

Juvenal Neto
Brazil
Local time: 00:21
English to Portuguese
+ ...
VM Ware Aug 5, 2011

MikeTrans wrote:

You are running Studio on a system in an emulated XP mode?

Well, I used to ran Trados Workbench and Multiterm under Obuntu using VM Ware - and it worked fine. It emulated then Windows XP. No wonder the same is also possible with Studio 2009.

Jabberwock  Identity Verified
Poland
Member (2004)
English to Polish
Windows in a box is still Windows... Aug 5, 2011

Paul Carmichael wrote:
You're wrong about the linux user base. Here in Spain, where there is great reluctance to spend money, it's very popular because it's free. In my office I have 2 desktop PCs, 3 servers and various routers etc all running different flavours of linux. I couldn't afford to replace them all with MS products, nor would I want to. It all just works

The problem is that translators need MS Office - most of the source files come in one of its formats. Even if a translator decided that he does not want to see the final result in the original application (which the client might not be too happy about), the package is required to convert the old binary formats (.doc etc.).

If you use VirtualBox, you still need to have a valid Windows (and Office) license. Therefore, if you are going to pay for Windows and use Windows (although in a "box"), you might as well use it natively, where the performance is much better.

Pages in topic:   [1 2] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Trados Studio 2009 - First impressions

Advanced search

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
Déjà Vu X3
Try it, Love it

Find out why Déjà Vu is today the most flexible, customizable and user-friendly tool on the market. See the brand new features in action: *Completely redesigned user interface *Live Preview *Inline spell checking *Inline

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search