someone please post the ideal Java settings to stop receiving error messages when adding terms to TB
Thread poster: Richard Hill

Richard Hill  Identity Verified
Mexico
Local time: 21:30
Spanish to English
Aug 4, 2011

I had posted a message a week or so back that I was chuffed to have found the right Java settings for rapid loading of terms to the termbase while working in Studio 2009. The settings I found in the forum correspond to a post back in 2009 http://www.proz.com/forum/sdl_trados_support/138575-multiterm_2009_editing_and_adding_terms_is... See more
I had posted a message a week or so back that I was chuffed to have found the right Java settings for rapid loading of terms to the termbase while working in Studio 2009. The settings I found in the forum correspond to a post back in 2009 http://www.proz.com/forum/sdl_trados_support/138575-multiterm_2009_editing_and_adding_terms_is_slow-page2.html
But after some initial success I'm repeatedly getting error messages when trying to load terms and after the messages when I try to close Studio to mess around with the settings yet again, the program does not respond and I am forced to close trados through the windows task manager, then mess around with the settings which often doesn't work so I do system restarts until suddenly it works and I never see any consistency as to when it works or not.
Anyone have any failsafe settings they can please post 'cause all this stopping and starting is really annoying.

thanks

rich
Collapse

MikeTrans
Germany
Local time: 04:30
Italian to German
+ ...
Studio must be opened first Aug 4, 2011

Hi Rich,

I've found out that running more programs that use Java, then Studio must be opened first. I use an external dictionary which also uses Java that can be called for clicked terms with a shortcut, and I noticed that the Termbase Recognition window, the Edit Terms window of Studio will fail to show (without error message). I must then close both programs and launch Studio first, then my dictionary.
Still Studio 2009 is buggy with the Multiterm implementation. IMHO, Multi
... See more
Hi Rich,

I've found out that running more programs that use Java, then Studio must be opened first. I use an external dictionary which also uses Java that can be called for clicked terms with a shortcut, and I noticed that the Termbase Recognition window, the Edit Terms window of Studio will fail to show (without error message). I must then close both programs and launch Studio first, then my dictionary.
Still Studio 2009 is buggy with the Multiterm implementation. IMHO, Multiterm is a horror beast that should be taken out in the future, together with Java... There are simpler, smaller solutions for entering terms in a CAT.
The symptoms are: sometimes the Term Recognition, The Termbase Viewer will simply not show up. As a workaround, try to minimize Studio, select it again, maximize it, put it to window-size again and ..he he, the window suddenly appears...

Also, if you have Trados 2007 on your system, be sure to use the Side-by-Side tool to switch from Multiterm 2009 to Multiterm 7.xxx and back! Failing this, a lot of errors when returning in Studio will be the consequence. Also, if you launch Workbench (Trados 2007), you need a tool called "LaunchStudio.bat" (hotfix) to launch Studio correctly again.
Go and look in the KB section: all these troubles are explained there and you can also download the hotfix.

Hope this helps,
Mike

[Edited at 2011-08-04 17:55 GMT]
Collapse

Mexico
Spanish to English
TOPIC STARTER
thanks Aug 4, 2011

Hi Mike,
I too have a point and click dictionary so I'll definitely be trying out your different solutions.
thanks a lot
rich

MikeTrans
Germany
Italian to German
+ ...
Don't get too impatient... Aug 4, 2011

Rich,

there will still be some delays before the Termbase Editing window (or Recognition) will show correctly, otherwise the window may pop-up with the the inside message (in HTML): "Page cannot be loaded".
It's then when you have to close Studio + the other apps and open Studio first.

Mike

Mexico
Spanish to English
TOPIC STARTER
Java Aug 4, 2011

Hi again Mike

Do you know of a way to find out which programs are running with Java so as to disable any I don't need while using Trados.

Even with the termbase open (and working) in Trados, I don't see anything with the name Java in the task manager.

thanks again

rich

Jerzy Czopik  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2003)
Polish to German
+ ...
There is no such setting Aug 4, 2011

as all such settings do depend on the machine you have.
Some patience and Studio 2011 will reveal all problems. You can forget about any Java issues then.

Mexico
Spanish to English
TOPIC STARTER
Patience it is then 'till the autumn Aug 5, 2011

Good to here that Java isn't used for Trados 2011

Until then I seem to get the best results if Trados is the first program I run on windows startup. I think i'll also remove some programs from the windows startup list as well, maybe that'll help, then open Trados and termbase, enter a term to get Java running in Trados, even if i'm not planning on working right away, and only then open other programs. Maybe this idea is useless but I'll see.

thanks for your reply Jerzy

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

someone please post the ideal Java settings to stop receiving error messages when adding terms to TB

Advanced search

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

More info »
WordFinder Unlimited
For clarity and excellence

WordFinder is the leading dictionary service that gives you the words you want anywhere, anytime. Access 260+ dictionaries from the world's leading dictionary publishers in virtually any device. Find the right word anywhere, anytime - online or offline.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search