pleasant surprise working on powerpoint file in Trados 2009
Thread poster: Richard Hill

Richard Hill  Identity Verified
Mexico
Local time: 14:14
Member (2011)
Spanish to English
Aug 5, 2011

It's nice to see an absolutely tag free environment working on a powerpoint file but there is an issue.
The target file is saved but when I go to open it I get the message "Office File Validation detected a problem trying to open the file. Opening it may be dangerous". I ignored the message and opened it anyway and the file looks perfect. No apparent formatting issues, everything in place. My concern is that something has happened to the file and the client won't be happy with the result even though it seems fine. Has Trados "damaged" or changed the file somehow? Is this a concern regarding the possibility that the clients file is messed up? I wonder if I should not work on the file and work over the file directly in powerpoint which would be a shame if that were necessary.

thanks in advance

rich

Direct link Reply with quote

ghislandi  Identity Verified
Local time: 20:14
English to Italian
Info Aug 5, 2011

Hello,

I am from SDL - by the way did you notice that you can alsohave a real time preview of the power point file?

View -> Preview

Hope this helps.

Regards
Massi

Mexico
Member (2011)
Spanish to English
TOPIC STARTER
real time preview Aug 5, 2011

Hi Massi

Yes, the real time preview is fine too. As I said, on the surface the target document seems perfect its just that the failed validation message is a bit unsettling and I'm a powerpoint expert but anyway, in the meantime I will continue working on the file in Trados and send it to the client. I just hope that nothing important is messed up at a deeper level. Fingers crossed!

I've seen you on the help videos, keep up the good work.

Thanks for your reply

rich

Mexico
Member (2011)
Spanish to English
TOPIC STARTER
problem solved Aug 5, 2011

It's the security settings.

Tools -> options -> security -> macro security -> security level -> medium. DONE!

No error message when opening the Trados powerpoint target file.

Mexico
Member (2011)
Spanish to English
TOPIC STARTER
I tell a lie... Aug 6, 2011

... not intentionally but when I said "problem solved" by "Tools -> options -> security -> macro security -> security level -> medium", I had mistakenly opened the client's original file after changing the powerpoint security settings, which is why I got no error message. So the problem actually persists. I am posting this for two reasons, one, so as not to leave any misleading information here in the forum, and two, in the hope that somebody may still read this and have a solution to my original post re the error message.

thanks

rich

[Edited at 2011-08-06 11:32 GMT]

SDL Community  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 21:14
English
Office Security Settings Aug 6, 2011

Hi Rich,

I'm not familiar with this problem to be honest... but in the absence of any experienced voices I'll hazard a guess.

I googled the error message and it seems to be a common message related to Office Security settings. It seems it is just a message posted by Microsoft who try to validate the files to make sure they conform to their documented format, before they are opened by Word, Excel, or PowerPoint. During the Office 2010 Beta phase they had a lot of problems with this becauyse settings were too high and users got these messages with all the office files (excel, word, ppt) when they were perfectly ok in Office 2007.

The message doesn't prevent the correct functioning of the file... apparently (I'm not qualified to give you a 100% on that) but I am sure that we will not have done anything harmful in the conversion process.

Maybe you can play around with the Office validaiton settings... maybe trusted storage location for the target files or something like that?

Maybe someone more knowledgeable has experienced this before and found the solution?

Regards

Paul

Stanislav Pokorny  Identity Verified
Czech Republic
Local time: 21:14
English to Czech
+ ...
Have had this too Aug 7, 2011

Hello everyone,
I can confirm this issue, but since all the target files opened fine eventually and wouldn't throw the error message once re-saved, I simply always ignore the warning and live with one click more.

BTW, trusted storage doesn't seem to resolve this one, but I would definitely attribute this issue to PowerPoint rather than Studio.

Mexico
Member (2011)
Spanish to English
TOPIC STARTER
re-saving does the tick Aug 7, 2011

Stanislav Pokorny wrote:
all the target files opened fine eventually and wouldn't throw the error message once re-saved, I simply always ignore the warning and live with one click more.

Hi Stanislav.

Great news. Simply opening the file with the error message and re-saving does the trick. No error message after re-saving.

thanks very much for clearing this up

rich

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

pleasant surprise working on powerpoint file in Trados 2009

Advanced search

SDL Trados Studio 2017 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 250,000 translators.

SDL Trados Studio 2017 helps translators increase translation productivity whilst ensuring quality. Combining translation memory, terminology management and machine translation in one simple and easy-to-use environment.

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use SDL Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search