SDL studio 2009 and 64 bits?
Thread poster: Madeleine Chevassus

Madeleine Chevassus  Identity Verified
Local time: 01:09
Member (2010)
English to French
Aug 6, 2011

I must upgrade to a new (Windows7) PC from XP.

I use SDL Studio 2009 with a "plus" option which allows the upgrade at no cost.

My question is about the best robustness of Studio on a 32 bits or on a 64 bits PC under Windows7;

what do you recommend?

about Office on Windows7, do you recommend Office 2007 or Office 2010?

Direct link Reply with quote

Siegfried Armbruster  Identity Verified
Member (2004)
English to German
+ ...
Studio 2009 and Windows 7 64 bit Aug 6, 2011

I am using Studio 2009 with Windows 7 and Office 2007. Trados works like a charm with Windows 7 64 bit.

Jānis Līmežs
Local time: 02:09
English to Latvian
+ ...
Agreed Aug 6, 2011

Siegfried Armbruster wrote:

I am using Studio 2009 with Windows 7 and Office 2007. Trados works like a charm with Windows 7 64 bit.

With same components on a 64-bit Windows 7, I can only agree - Studio 2009 works like a charm.

Mohamed Kamel  Identity Verified
Local time: 02:09
English to Arabic
+ ...
Same here too! Aug 6, 2011

Microsoft Windows 7, 64-Bit and SDL Trados Studio 2009 are friends here.

Line Merrette  Identity Verified
Local time: 20:09
English to French
It works, but is it worth it? Aug 23, 2012

I am using XP SP3 on a dual core, 32 bits PC. I am using SDL Trados Studio 2009 SP1 (for the moment SP2 and SP3 are not installed).

I am working on a big file with a big translation memory and saving can take up to a minute, without anything else than Trados running. (I would prefer not to cut the file in pieces, if I can avoid it).

Also, sooner or later, I will have to move up to Windows 7.

I am thinking of getting a 64 bit quadcore because I have many RAM-hungry applications. I am not in a hurry, I want to spend wisely.

I am glad to see 2009 works on Windows 7 on a 64-bit machine.

But I am told (I tasked my husband with doing extensive research on this) moving to a quadcore will not make file processing faster because the software will be running in 32 bits (which is logical since it was written in 32 bit).

So my question is this: when you work on a 64 bit machine with 2009, is your RAM (I am told a quadcore can have more than 4 Mb of RAM) fully used? Do you see an improvement in speed? Do your freeze less often?

In other words, does it show you have a more powerful machine?

[Modifié le 2012-08-23 19:45 GMT]

Lorenzo Bermejo
English to Spanish
+ ...
advice Aug 23, 2012

hi Line,
I use Studio 20011 both in a Dual Core, XP, 2MB RAM machine and on a Quad Core, Windows 7, 8 MB RAM machine.
in fact, I can't translate properly on my XP machine project packages over 70 MB in size, the application sends an Out of Memory Exception error.

working on my Quad Core is breeze... Studio opens so quickly, packages are opened also in no time. anyway, I keep using my old machine for small jobs.

good luck! do think in upgrading your equipment!

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

SDL studio 2009 and 64 bits?

Advanced search

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use SDL Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

More info »
SDL Trados Studio 2017 only €415 / $495
Get the cheapest prices for SDL Trados Studio 2017 on

Join this translator’s group buy brought to you by and buy SDL Trados Studio 2017 Freelance for only €415 / $495 / £325 / ¥60,000 You will also receive FREE access to our getting started eLearning program!

More info »

• All of
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search